Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

B5 wars as a computer turn based game

MatthewMatthew Earthforce Officer
I was thinking the other day could it be possible for someone could create a turn based computer game (as I'm currently a fan of such games) from the board game B5 Wars. I must admit I've never played the game but have read about it and it sounds interesting but i think it needs the spreadsheet help of a computer to ease the burden of playing it.
What is the rights situation with the B5 Wars. Could legal issues sink such a venture.
I was thinking it could at least help boost B5 popularity.

Comments

• croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I'm sure it is fine, the issue is computer games take a lot more time and energy to make than people think.

Traditionally most people go with the spaceship side of B5 computer games -- flight sims or strategy sims, etc. The other side is the social side. Beffore Mongoose lost the rights, they felt the future of Babylon 5 lied in a first/third person story based rpg, something like KOTOR but about the rangers. With The Expanse this generations B5 (imho) I'm inclined to agree.

Or imagine a game like Station 13, just in a fully realized spaceship or B5 itself.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I vaguely recall seeing things about a turn-based strategy engine that pen-and-paper wargames could be adapted to.

Speaking of B5-ish games, Tacoma recently came out, an environmental-narrative game set on a L3-Earth/Moon space station. Looking out the windows and watching the stars spin around and around and around... really made me think of the show (even though the only time we actually saw something like that was a handful of scenes in the Sanctuary and TLT).
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    You know what could work out these days? A good Stellaris mod. Seems to handle the ship customization and interstellar politics angle well while also offering support for story-based event triggers (see: Star Trek New Horizons)
    There is (was) one, last I checked.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    There's some random ship mods, but they're basically godlike overpowered and unbalanced at last check. No story mode yet. One day...
    Sadly there really are not any open-use b5 art assets, it would of made life much easier for us programming types.
  • MatthewMatthew Earthforce Officer
    I was doing some online searching and stumbled on to a form post stating some guys had made a browser based multi-player game based on the B5 wars board game called 'into the fiery void ' anyone heard of it. There are on facebook and I think i found there website.
    I thought I check here if anyone knew anything.
    I havent heard of it
  • WarleaderWarleader Inmate: Babylon Project Mental Health Facility
    ARISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arise lizard!!!!! From your long sleep in the mountain.
    *GASP*
  • You know, I still don't even know who this Warleader guy is. He's the one who runs this site, right? Did he work on Into the Fire as well?
    He wasn't a dev, that I know of. Just a fan who enjoyed escaping from the mental health facility every now and then.