Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

leveling

ok, now i've played rpg's and such before, but is it me, or does leveling suck? I know you need some way to simulate character growth, but there must be a better way. It's just so boring, especially online rpg's. For instance i was playing a random beta 4 version of a random N-named mmorpg by reakktor, and i realized that i hate leveling. Hack and slash, hack and slash, hack and slash. All for what? The "dexterity" to hold a friggin nail gun? come on. How dumb is that. all characters should be able to carry whatever weapon they want/can afford. But how does one get around the traditional leveling? Just stick an encumberance factor upon it. You can still move shoot and kill with it, but its weighing you down and you can't move as fast as you want.

Granted, there must be some modifier to distinguish the n00b and the player thats been there for 3 years. But what? What do you guys think?

Comments

• WHY_oldWHY_old Elite Ranger
    Try an RPG with a Gain-By-Use (GBU) system, like, for example (the only one I can think of), Ultima Online. *cough [url="http://www.darkagerp.com"]www.darkagerp.com[/url] cough*

As for the whole armor issue, I have to agree, though I really think some of the limitations are in there for a real reason, like if you're a REALLY weak guy who is wearing full plate, he WON'T be able to move at all, and thus the armor is pretty much useless to him. The game is just assuming he has at least a shred of common sense.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    what you are looking for is real VR.... where a character really has an 'avatar' a true presence in the game uinverse....

While I was bangin my way through Diablo 2... (1000 hexes on vivendi)

I sort of struck the same thing.

Theres no easy answer. GBU systems are ok but they still have holes....

If you have a radical change in fighting style, you don't suddenly become a fumble fingered waste of space etc etc etc.... magic and hardware only add to the problem.

And some of the limitations on weapon armour choice are there solely for game balance....

What good to anyone is a level 3 in Full Serpent skin Armour ???

All it does is make for bad gameplay.

One of these days RPG's will be all but undistinguishable from RL, save the watermark in front of your eyes to remind you that you 'Arent in real life'.

Till then you have to do your best to suspend your own disbelief where the game makers have failed, either through imposed limitation or lack of skill.

As far as "leveling" goes passe.... GBU systems are good but in the end.... its not really the skillz you want, it's that bright shiny new 'nail gun of maiming' you really want...

fine.... but don't expect to be able to point it too well until you get to a certain point in character development...

in other words give the level threes thier big toys... and let them learn the hard way that they, at thier level are much more lethal with a .22 popgun tham with a Cassull...

anyways... since when can you walk into a dojo and get your black belt without years of training ?

face it.... we are all on 'levels', they simply arent as easy to see and define...

Randy has Level 113 in Creative Writing...

I got Level 104 in Digital Art...

Biggles has 140 in Cyberstreetwise...

Warleader has Level 432 in punctuation and capitalisation abuse... [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]

everyone pays thier dues
  • WHY_oldWHY_old Elite Ranger
    the problem is a lot of so-caled "RPG-ers" see things in terms of game-mechanics.

the who point of online RPG's is to roleplay. And by roleplay I mean create an interesting character background, act and think in terms of "in-character", ETC.

unfortunately most MMORPG's are played as Leveling and loot-gathering simulations.
  • sorry, armor was a poor example. I shoulda said weapons. For example you cant use a pistol till like level 12... a 6 year old can use a pistol.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Morrowind takes a step in the right direction. You gain a level when you increase any combination of your character-specific attributes by 10 points.

------------------
    [url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Never eat anything bigger than your own head.[/url]
    "Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Play Aria - no leveling. You learn, but there is no such thing as leveling (ps. Aria isn't made anymore - you'll have to find it 2nd hand...ie e-bay - there are 2 books: Worlds and Roleplaying)