Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

who is Radius

SpiritOneSpiritOne MagnetoABQ NM
and why do you owe them so much money??

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    RadisuCo is the provider. They host the site. We use heaps of bandwidth which must be paid for.
  • mambo_mordenmambo_morden Earthforce Officer
    Just outta curiosity, how much bandwidth we talkin' about.... Actually just curious.
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    Howdy:

RadiusCo is the hosting company which firstones.com resides on. The entire web site uses in excess of 45 gigabytes of bandwidth and almost 3 gigabytes of server space. :)

The amount of money Sanfam posted on the front page is an amount that hasn't been paid for a while.
  • mambo_mordenmambo_morden Earthforce Officer
    Holy cow.... Popular site.
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    its because we rule
  • Imagine this, you could calculate how much each Picture is costing you per day. Like if you removed the "FirstOnes" pic and replaced with Formatted text it could save you like $12 a year or something :robot:

I would send you money (Really) but I am a student and often need to call home to eat :)

The Pic on the main site is around 500Kb but the Alternate on this forum is only 200KB.... you might think removing some Pics this might help but only if we can get past current problems. If you
    are not on a set MAX bandwidth why don't you move to that so that the site gets disconnected before you get into financial troubles. Also how about some DNS mirrors so that if the site goes down at least there will be some "Mini-sites" still going.

The IFH as you have said uses lots of bandwidth maybe they would be happey to lose some Pics and stuff off their site. How about the forums hold less history, could save some Server space :) and I have a server on a 1Mb/s connection that could be used to store images (Saving on bandwidth and space :D)
  • [QUOTE] The entire web site uses in excess of 45 gigabytes of [/QUOTE]

Over what period of time?

More Suggestions:

-Move some MOD/FreeWare games off site (Maybe Virtual directorys)
    -Move Files to off site repository('s)
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    I just checked the stats:

[url]www.firstones.com[/url] is using an average of 100MBs/day bandwidth. Thats arround 4GBs/year. This means that about 40GBs/year is used by the hosted mods.

Now to put something in comparison. Yesterday on these new forums (the first full 24 hour day they were up), we used 65MBs of bandwidth. We can assume this will only increase over time to to probably about the same as the main page.

These forums are also no on RadiusCo and so...I'd guess Sanfam will be having a little more per month to pay as a result...

Now to put something else in comparison: I have used 4.04MBs of bandwidth on these forums since they opened :p - that's 5th place...I wonder who the 4 that are ahead of me are...probably Sanfam, Biggles, and 2 someone elses? Though I am 3rd for number of hits...just not bandwidth.
  • Yeah all problems out the window if FirstOnes stopped hosting MOD's
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    On a related note, why is there a Volvo on the front page?
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Wow! We certainly are popular! And still growing aswell... though at a much slower pace these days.
  • A while back I found a hiden "Hits per day" type page does anyone know the address of that? ([url]www.firstones.com/????[/url])
    (a) Volvo is on the front page becuase Sanfam is working on getting the Screenshot of the Day feature working...and his obsession with Volvo's required him to use one as the test image :p

(b) Stats:
    [url]http://www.firstones.com/stats[/url] ([url]www.*[/url] only)
    [url]http://forums.firstones.com/stats[/url] (forums.* only)
    Not available at all for mods.* unfortunately...it's a limitation of the stats package they use :(
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Babylon5Online [/i]
    [B]Over what period of time?

More Suggestions:

-Move some MOD/FreeWare games off site (Maybe Virtual directorys)
    -Move Files to off site repository('s) [/B][/QUOTE]

They use over 45 gigabytes per month.

The bandwidth monitor on the stats page is only an estimate and ONLY counts the bandwidth for the top level domain. The mods anf forums sub-domains are not included in the bandwidth estimate on the stats page on firstones.com.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Babylon5Online [/i]
    [B]Yeah all problems out the window if FirstOnes stopped hosting MOD's [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep, and the site will die too.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Well, that seems like a lot of money for a hosting service. I have recently been involved in getting a website up and running for my gaming clan. Yes, gaming clan :D

That being said, we signed up for a very good hosting plan from a company called infinology. I got 9GB of storage and 50GB/transfer per month. Something like 2000 email addresses, unlimited email aliases and lists and all kinds of goodies. No, Im not a spokesman for infinology, I just did a lot of research before I baught a host. Infinology was rated either number one or number two by 4 different independant consumer reports.

If your in the middle of a hosting contract, I know there is nothing you can do about it. However, if your hosting service is about expire, Id suggest looking it up. For the service I described, it will cost you out of pocket 160 US dollars, and a recurring 120/year subscription.

Maybe its something you want to look into, maybe not, just my thoughts.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SpiritOne [/i]
    [B]Well, that seems like a lot of money for a hosting service. I have recently been involved in getting a website up and running for my gaming clan. Yes, gaming clan :D

That being said, we signed up for a very good hosting plan from a company called infinology. I got 9GB of storage and 50GB/transfer per month. Something like 2000 email addresses, unlimited email aliases and lists and all kinds of goodies. No, Im not a spokesman for infinology, I just did a lot of research before I baught a host. Infinology was rated either number one or number two by 4 different independant consumer reports.

If your in the middle of a hosting contract, I know there is nothing you can do about it. However, if your hosting service is about expire, Id suggest looking it up. For the service I described, it will cost you out of pocket 160 US dollars, and a recurring 120/year subscription.

Maybe its something you want to look into, maybe not, just my thoughts. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hello:

I hate to tell you this, but that company massively oversells their services.

Quality bandwidth is about $1.00 to $2.50 per gigabyte depending on how much you purchase at one time. There's no way they could offer that quantity without overselling.

Let's put it this way...if all their clients used their max. space and bandwidth, they would be bankrupt in about a day. There is absolutely no way that a company can offer all of that to every single client and have the capacity to fulfill it when the time comes.

In the hosting industy, the phrase "You get what you pay for" is most often quoted when you see companies like this. Now, I am not putting down the company, they may be great for what they offer, but they do oversell.

RadiusCo does not oversell. Now, we may not have the lowest price in the industy, but we try to stay very customer oriented.
    :)
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    herehere

As to sanfam, sorry man- sent the only 10 bucks I could convice my dad to loan me. :D
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Rhett: thanks. :)

If my knowlege is correct, the current plan gives me 60 GB per month in bandwidth. Chase, please correct me if I'm wrong. :P
    your not a little biased are you striker??
    LOL - of course he is biased.

BUT

45GB/month is about a T1 connection which runs about $800/year. There is no way you can pay $120/year and actually get the bandwidth of a T1 connection.

The site you mentioned is obviously giving 50GB/month bandwidth to at least 7 people at $120/month per actual 50GB/month pipe - 7 people crowding onto it. That thing will be at saturation in no time! If FO's got on it...it would be at saturation just from FO's - and you'd still have 7 other people connecting to it!

Now...they probably use a higher bandwidth (but proportionally more expensive) pipe, but still, you get the picture.

And the price FO's is paying for this site is the equivlent of a T1 pipe + overhead. Not even that much in overhead compared to the total cost/year RadiusCo charges Sanfam...only about 20% overhead that goes to the actual server, support, saleries, etc. Not bad at all if you ask me based on the bandwidth FO's uses.
    [B]your not a little biased are you striker?? [/B][/QUOTE]

I do not believe I am being biased at all regarding this. I've seen it all too many times. I've seen dozens of people get scammed or screwed because the host didn't provide what they offered.

I've got plenty of links to boards, etc. where this happens daily. PM me if you want to know about them.

Honestly, it's up to you. :) Some of these companies are better than others. :P
    well, I did do a little research before I just blindly went into a service contract. From 4 separate consumer reports studies on web hosting services, infinology was rated either 1st or 2nd, in every catagory. Customer service, quality, delivery of product as advertised, ect..

Im not trying to come down on you or your company. Im just letting you know that so far my experience with Infinology has been outstanding.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [B]well, I did do a little research before I just blindly went into a service contract. From 4 separate consumer reports studies on web hosting services, infinology was rated either 1st or 2nd, in every catagory. Customer service, quality, delivery of product as advertised, ect..

Im not trying to come down on you or your company. Im just letting you know that so far my experience with Infinology has been outstanding. [/B][/QUOTE]

You may get quality service from them, but they are doign what is a standard practice, as striker said, overselling, they know that 99% of their users are NEVER going to use that bandwidth, So they can sell it to you, and tell you that you have access to that much, even when in actuality they cannot possibly provide you with that bandwidth.
  • I vote we all donate our computers to pay for Firs... eh, bad idea.

Been thinking about it, and we don't really need to host the RPG here. It wouldn't take more than 4 or 5 Geocities accounts to get everything we need online, though I love these message boards. The real reason I wanted to be hosted is that it's hard to find fans of a dead niche show who are into RPGing if you just set up your Geocities site and pray; around here, we can get a little linkie on the sidebar and occassional news updates on the main page; plus, we can spam the boards if we need members :D
    Mainly, I'm saying this because of the comment about the cost of a single picture per year; we have several hundred pictures, around a hundred pages of text, not to mention a Vorlon planet killer on our site. And those pictures aren't small, either...

[Edit]For the majority of you who forgot me, I'm the creator of [I]Babylon 5: Resurgence[/I] RPG.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    well, once I get back home, I'm really going to get working on home.firstones.com

No. Seriously

Stop laughing!

Stop it!

Now I'm going to go back to my corner and cry. Is that what you want me the great Sanfam to do? Cry? Well, you've done it. You should be ashamed of yourself...

But back on topic, If I were a vegetable, I'd be a carrot.

Thank you.
  • And a stellar performance by Sanfam! Come on everyone, round of applause! And speaking of which, round of drinks--on the house! Wait, Sanfam hasn't designed the [URL=http://home.firstones.com]house[/URL] yet...
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Lol. Sanfam- cry you baby, cry! You want your mama?? Thats right cry!! ;)
  • I'm your mamm--err, daddy! :cool:
  • ArgoneArgone Genuine Klingon
    Wooo! Tough talk from a Haspin Deity! {Inside joke} I think this site is worth what he needs and I congradulate them on their fine work!