Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Windows Server 2003...

TycoTyco RangerTexas
... anyone trying this program out yet? I'm running it on a server at school, and so far I'm fairly pleased. Anyone have any tips for using it? I'd love to hear from people using it, incase I need help with it.

I'm use to using 2000 and XP, and since 2003 looks like a combination of the two, it makes for some very interesting times indeed.

Comments

• KeyanKeyan Ranger
    It's not really a combination of the 2, it's more like 2000 server with the ability to use some of the "hooks" they put into XP that 2000 couldn't get to.

I've been running server 2003 RC versions for about 8 months, and should be getting the final here soon.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I've been running it since Beta 2, Except for one Fubar installation its been great, which is amazing since i'm running it on a Poweredge 266 with 192 megs of ram.

The only downside to server 2003, is that they have removed almost all legacy support, Especially for ISA devices, which is a pity, because i've got some 3com 509's and a Soundblaster 16 that i've been moving from machine to machine for years, was always nice to know that i could pop one of those in and the OS would know what it was.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    one downside i found today is that you cannot change the workgroup name. :eek: we were trying to get the 2003 box to become the primary server, using a 2000 box as the backup, and we wound up having no luck. Any tips?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyco [/i]
    [B]one downside i found today is that you cannot change the workgroup name. :eek: we were trying to get the 2003 box to become the primary server, using a 2000 box as the backup, and we wound up having no luck. Any tips? [/B][/QUOTE]

Workgroup? or Domain?
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    Domain. My bad on that.
    [B]Domain. My bad on that. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how it is with win2003 cause i've got mine in a workgroup, not a domain, But in NT4, once you set it up as a PDC you couldn't change it's name, all you could do was demote it to a BDC (i think, it's been so long)
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    Yeah. What we were trying to do was move what domain it was running under, from "Omni-Server" to "Cisd". We found a place we could theoretically do it, but it was grayed out. Format on monday!
    [B]Yeah. What we were trying to do was move what domain it was running under, from "Omni-Server" to "Cisd". We found a place we could theoretically do it, but it was grayed out. Format on monday! [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah that sounds about right.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    formatted it today, and now it's working fine. :)
  • KeyanKeyan Ranger
    Yeah, once you make a server a domain controller, you have to reformat it bascially if you want to move it to a new domain. So much is tied into that change that it can't be undone.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    True true. this is my first server to set up, and so I'm still learning how to to do things. A friend of mine is helping me out with all of this, so I'm learning as I go.