Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Babylon 5: Combat Sim - Music CD?

Comments

• AggamemnonAggamemnon Earthforce Officer
    I think a not for profit method may be OK, unless Franke WANTS some profit....
  • Mr. FuryMr. Fury Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]have no fear Sanfam, Darkblade is exercizing a legal form of tourture here.... [/B][/QUOTE]
    Darkblade [b]and[/b] everyone else who happen to have the tracks at the moment... Blame Darkblade in any case. ;)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Well guys, an email has been dispatched. I'll send along any updates upon their reception.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Nice one Sanfam :) Fingers crossed! ;)
  • DarkbladeDarkblade Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mr. Fury [/i]
    [B]Darkblade [b]and[/b] everyone else who happen to have the tracks at the moment... Blame Darkblade in any case. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

What? I have only given those tracks to selected few... ;)

Sanfam, hopefully we get good news.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Gaghliq... need... tracks....

Gotta get a response to that e-mail!
  • Its becoming physically painful not having these tracks...

c'mon Darkblade....use kazaalight...you know you want to....
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Look at you guys...

Swarming on Darkblade like a pack of soul-hunters smelling the fall of a civilization...

:p
  • DarkbladeDarkblade Earthforce Officer
    Soon they will try to find out where I live and force me to release the tracks...

It'll be out When It's Done! :)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Darkblade [/i]
    [B]Soon they will try to find out where I live and force me to release the tracks...[/B][/QUOTE]
    Thanks to Eniro's new [url="http://henkilot.eniro.fi/"]person finder[/url] (in Finnish), you can count on it. :)
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]Look at you guys...

Swarming on Darkblade like a pack of soul-hunters smelling the fall of a civilization...

:p [/B][/QUOTE]

lol

Good one!
  • Not to be a wet blanket....

You guys should really keep two things in mind:

One, just because a copyright owner doesn't say "don't distribute my stuff" when asked doesn't mean that they are giving you permission. If they don't explicitly give you permission to distribute a copyrighted work, then you legally can't distribute it, plain and simple.

And two, it is very possible that Chris Franke is not the owner (or is not the sole owner) of that work. The Berlin Philharmonic, WB, Sierra, or any number of other people/entities may own that music (though it should indicate who the copyright holder is on the CD or case if it has one). In such a case, no matter how much Mr. Franke wants to help out, the best he could do would be to lobby the copyright holder to release the tracks (and probably for profit).

Still, iTunes or one of the other (unfortunately DRM-belabored) online music services would be an easy and low-cost way for the copyright holder to release the tracks without going through the whole process of CD manufacture.

I'm not saying this to slap you on the wrists for wanting these tracks. I'd love to hear them, too. But doing it the wrong way could get Firstones.com (or one or more of you) in hot water, so it's best to say these things now rather than later. :)
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Re: Not to be a wet blanket....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by a bowl of soup [/i]
    [B]Still, iTunes or one of the other (unfortunately DRM-belabored)[/B][/QUOTE]

iTMS has the crappiest (read: best) DRM ever. Burn the song to CD and reencode it: Instant DRM-free track. Now, either Apple wasn't trying, or they put it in exclusively so the record companies would let them sell their music.

Incidentally, the rumor mill says that Apple may release a program designed to allow everyday Joes like you and me to upload their songs to the iTMS. Presumably, it would have to be your own original music, but it's pretty neat none the less.

Now, I'm just waiting for the iTMS to put up soundtracks for Babylon 5 and Star Trek (oddly, they have both Star Wars and Return of the Jedi, but not The Empire Strikes Back or either of the prequels). When they do that, well, bye-bye disposable income.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Personally, I'm really looking forward to iTunes becoming available here. Of course, chances are it'll never happen...
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    DRM?
  • I'd love to see this music released, and I'd be willing to pay for a CD or downloads to get it.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Re: Not to be a wet blanket....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by a bowl of soup [/i]
    [B]One, just because a copyright owner doesn't say "don't distribute my stuff" when asked doesn't mean that they are giving you permission. If they don't explicitly give you permission to distribute a copyrighted work, then you legally can't distribute it, plain and simple.[/B][/QUOTE]

...which is why we're going to all the trouble to contact him in the first place.

[QUOTE][B]And two, it is very possible that Chris Franke is not the owner (or is not the sole owner) of that work. The Berlin Philharmonic, WB, Sierra, or any number of other people/entities may own that music (though it should indicate who the copyright holder is on the CD or case if it has one).[/B][/QUOTE]

The copyright is held by Sonic Images, which is Chris Franke's label. The Berlin Symphonic Film Orchestra also happens to be managed by Chris Franke. WB and Sierra [i]might[/i] have some say, but my conversation with JMS suggests that this is not the case. Straczynski, as the show's executive producer, is [i]very[/i] knowledgeable about the business end of all of this. If we needed to convince anyone else, he probably would have told me.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]DRM? [/B][/QUOTE]

Digital Rights Management, a.k.a. Copy Protection.
    Well one possible way to 'get round' the illegal copying and distribution is for someone to setup a streaming server, or use iTunes or something like that, to stream a playlist of the tracks. Well I'm not sure how legal it would be since the cd hasn't been released. But it might be something to consider. That way we can listen to it while discussions with Chris Franke take place.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    That's still illegal. It's like a radio playing without a license.
    Yes it is thinking about it. Oh well better sit tight and wait then.

Speaking of Chris Franke, I checked out Tangerine Dream the other day, on JackN's advice, and boy have they done some cool stuff!! :) I can really see the ideas Franke had for B5 in alot of their music, nice to see how he evolved his sound. Some of their stuff is a bit too electronic for me but some of it is superb! Speaking to my boss I never realised the impact Tangerine Dream had on that sort of music, never knew they were the first band out there to make it popular. So cheers for the recommendation JackN! :D
  • Whitestar 15Whitestar 15 Earthforce Officer
    I'd gladly pay for such a CD!
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    I would pay too.

but i do like having my own homemade cd of the original tracks. i even inputed info to CDDB so that everytime i put it in the track names come out. (and i know its in CDDB and not my local machine because i inputed a loooooong time ago way before i had my mac and recently i ripped it to my mac and the names came up there so :P)
  • I would be more than willing to pay for the cd. But not for any Itunes or that kind of stuff. If I pay for music, I want something I can hold in my hands and stick it to my car's cd-player as an original cd!

...well I would also pay for the vinyl version, even when it doesn't fit into a cd-player :D
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    [B]Yes it is thinking about it. Oh well better sit tight and wait then.

Speaking of Chris Franke, I checked out Tangerine Dream the other day, on JackN's advice, and boy have they done some cool stuff!! :) I can really see the ideas Franke had for B5 in alot of their music, nice to see how he evolved his sound. Some of their stuff is a bit too electronic for me but some of it is superb! Speaking to my boss I never realised the impact Tangerine Dream had on that sort of music, never knew they were the first band out there to make it popular. So cheers for the recommendation JackN! :D [/B][/QUOTE]

No problem... ;)

I too don't like all of TD's works, but I do like a Majority! Ricochet is probably still my favorite album.

You know another good artist in that vein is Brian Eno, (Marc Hudgins turned me on to this guy during the failed game dev for Echoes).

There are many.... ;)
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    Tangerine Dream has also made a few contributions to the film industry.

You can hear their music in the movie [i]Legend[/i], among others.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by samuelk [/i]
    [B]Tangerine Dream has also made a few contributions to the film industry.

You can hear their music in the movie [i]Legend[/i], among others. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have always wanted to see/hear that version of Legend. Here in Europe it has different musics...
  • This sounds great, looking forward to see what happens...
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Any updates on this?
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    nothing. Sent an email to [email]cf@sonicimages.com[/email] a few days ago. Nothing back yet...