Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Jeremiah Season 1 DVD Box Set

BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
The 1st season of the most recent TV project from jms, Jeremiah, is released tomorrow in a DVD box set. This series is highly recommended to any fan of Babylon 5, and shows jms at his best once again. Order from the link below to help support Firstones.com.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000V4910/firstonescom]Jeremiah - Season 1[/url]

Comments

• Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Cool! :) Yet another box set to buy! :D
  • AggamemnonAggamemnon Earthforce Officer
    I've never even heard of it.... what is it about?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [url]www.jeremiah.tv[/url]
  • I actually thoroughly enjoyed this series and never realized it was JMS' creation !

Great show. :D
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Welcome!
  • MartianDustMartianDust Elite Ranger
    I don't know whether to get the dvds or not. I've read the eps and storylines but its still not really enough to know. And to spend money on it....and then I probably wouldn't be able to sell them as I don't think its well known here or nothing.

Any1 know if it will be repeated? Any1 dislike it? I'd like to hear the bad points if there are any. :)
    I've seen all of season 1, and most of season 2. It's a great show, though I'd have to say the second season is definitely better than the first. The addition of Sean Astin to the cast as Mr. Smith was simply an excellent move to make.

The acting's good, the dialogue's generally better than B5 (though not always), there's too much sex and nudity,* the language is strong but appropriate, Theo's just magnificent, the music's good (aside from the season 2 intro), and production values (quality of sets, backdrops, special effects when appropriate) certainly seem far above B5 in general. All in all, if you can stomach the excessive sex and nudity, I highly recommend it.

*I don't mean to say here that the sex and nudity should disappear; rather, I'm saying that even in this context, it's excessive and gratuitous. I believe it could have been done much better without getting rid of it entirely. In fact, I think it would be dishonest to get rid of it entirely in this show, given the setting.

After seeing the first ep, I was under the impression that the societal rules about what constitutes unacceptable levels of nudity had dramatically lost their power or disappeared entirely, which, given the situation, would make perfect sense. I figured that was why we saw so many topless (or outright naked) women in the bar. However, that situation was not reflected in the other remnants of civilization as a whole; we never see women wandering around shirtless just going about their daily business in towns.

Instead, it seems that the series takes the position that nudity is still nudity, and the only reason we see naked women in certain bars and other areas is to make the locations seem seamier or grittier than common everyday locations (and, of course, because we're watching the ShowMeTime network). Throw in a whorehouse or two (which the main characters take full advantage of), and the fact that nearly all the nudity we see in the show is female, and that leaves me with the conclusion that most of the nudity and sex we have is simply gratuitous and doesn't need to be there.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]I've seen all of season 1, and most of season 2. It's a great show, though I'd have to say the second season is definitely better than the first. The addition of Sean Astin to the cast as Mr. Smith was simply an excellent move to make.[/B][/QUOTE]

Sean Astin fucking rocks, and I agree that the 2nd season is defintely better than the first. I attribute that to jms writing almost all of it while he only wrote about half of season 1.

It's worth pointing out that the two episodes with really excessive sex/nudity weren't written by jms and don't really advance the story much. They feel very much like "keep the execs happy" episodes. The nudity in the first episode fits in very well - it's just about all in a bar where one would expect that sort of thing to attract customers (as sort of pointed out by one of the characters at one point). It's just those two episodes in particular that are really bad.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MartianDust [/i]
    [B]and then I probably wouldn't be able to sell them as I don't think its well known here or nothing. [/b][/quote]

Not known? Surely I wasn't the only one who saw it during it's run on Sky|One ?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MartianDust [/i]
    [b]Any1 know if it will be repeated? [/B][/QUOTE]

Sky's probably the sold show on, you'll probably see it turn up on Channel 4 or 5 sometime in the near future.
    I know a couple of people in the UK who like Jeremiah. But they already own the DVDs. :)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]The acting's good, the dialogue's generally better than B5 (though not always), there's too much sex and nudity,* the language is strong but appropriate, Theo's just magnificent, the music's good (aside from the season 2 intro), and production values (quality of sets, backdrops, special effects when appropriate) certainly seem far above B5 in general. All in all, if you can stomach the excessive sex and nudity, I highly recommend it.[/B][/QUOTE]

Oops I missed this thread by accident yesterday!
    I don't mind sex and nudity, but I wouldn't like it in every ep.
    Is there good quotes in there like B5? Thanks for your comments btw. :)

[QUOTE][B]It's worth pointing out that the two episodes with really excessive sex/nudity weren't written by jms and don't really advance the story much. They feel very much like "keep the execs happy" episodes.[/B][/QUOTE]

Now why doesn't that surprise me?! :)

[QUOTE][B]Not known? Surely I wasn't the only one who saw it during it's run on Sky|One ?[/B][/QUOTE]

Well I don't know of anyone and I had never heard of it. I hope it does come to another channel. Still am thinking about DVDs. Just there's other DVDs to get still. Like B5 Season5! And one more Buffy. :)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MartianDust [/i]
    [B]Is there good quotes in there like B5? Thanks for your comments btw. :)[/B][/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Theo's a gold mine for those, as is Mister Smith, Kurdy's got some nice lines, and then there's my favorite from Markus:

"There are three effective methods of mass communication -- telephone, television, and tell-a-secret."
    Ha so true, love the quote, thanks! :)
    I think JMS should have a book on all the quotes he's done.
    'The JMS quotes book'

:)
    Actually, there was one planned. The B5 quote book, titled "...But in Purple, I'm Stunning!"

Sadly, nothing's been heard of that one for a while now.
    Aww thats a shame! Fingers crossed something may be produced in the future. :)