Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Babylon 5: Allegiance

Babylon 5: Allegiance Proposal

Factions:
Initially there will be 4 major 'factions' or races: The Earth Alliance, Narn Regime, Centauri Republic, and the Minbari.
The Earth Alliance is the youngest of the four major powers, and was almost whiped out in the Earth-Minbari war that took place ten years before the construction of Babylon 5. From this they leaped forward a bit in weapons technology and became a major political power from the Dilgar War.
The Narn were occupied by the Centauri for over 100 years, they stole their technology and became a formidable space faring race. Their technological level is on par with the humans and possibly the Centauri.
The Centauri is the second most advanced space fairing race, with the power of a gravimetric field powering their ships.
The Minbari is the oldest and most advanced of the four major powers. Because of this their ships and bases will be very strong, yet very expensive. I am currently thinking that every one of their ships will have a cost to it, and if econ runs out, tough bananas.

Ships and Bases:
Babylon 5 is a very fleet based universe. The TC will reflect this. Bases will be fewer in number, more expensive, but possibly stronger. Keeping bases relatively weak would cause teams to be more protective and defensive about them. This TC will not follow the Allegiance role of scout, interceptor, bomber, etc. Every cannon (and maybe some uncanon) craft will be used in the same roles they were used in the show. All craft will be able to inflict damage onto bases.
Size is also important. Compared to the small fighters there are some very large spacecraft and stations. Fighters and other small craft will be small compared to the larger capital ships in true show scale. This will be done by reducing the fighter size. It is important that the capital ships are not to large in relation to the sector size. All ships capable of launching fighters will have carrier capabilities as well.

Technology:
The technology system will be much different than that found in allegiance. Ultimately there will be two main branches in the tech tree, Shadow based, Vorlon based, and independant technology. The Shadows and Vorlons were the two most elder races in the Babylon 5 universe and influenced the younger races. This is an either or proposition. You can not follow both the Shadow or Vorlon path. Each side will have its strengths and weaknesses. I am unsure how tech bases would be implemented, but it wont follow what is currently found in allegiance.

Other things:
Several modifications may need to be done on the allegiance engine itself. Some of the most needed is the addition of rotatable parts to bases and ships, and engine support for beam weapons.
Another step that must be done is the ability to cause one tech to block another tech path.
Another major addition that could be added to the engine is flyable hyperspace such as that found in I Found Her. This will add a whole new realm of strategy. The alephs would obviously be replaced with jumpgates that have recharge times. This will also allow the option to allow capships to make their own jump points.
[B][edit][/B] Other than ships with shilds provided by thier gravametric drives, shilds will not be in the game.[B][/edit][/B]

Other ideas will be thrown in as I come up with them.

Comments

• MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Re: Babylon 5: Allegiance

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Technology:
    The technology system will be much different than that found in allegiance. Ultimately there will be two main branches in the tech tree, Shadow based, Vorlon based, and independant technology. The Shadows and Vorlons were the two most elder races in the Babylon 5 universe and influenced the younger races. This is an either or proposition. You can not follow both the Shadow or Vorlon path. Each side will have its strengths and weaknesses. I am unsure how tech bases would be implemented, but it wont follow what is currently found in allegiance.[/B][/QUOTE]

I like the idea that tech advancements can be either shadow- or vorlon based :D

I see the shadow tech tree as rather more offensive (slicer beams etc.) and the vorlon one more defensive (shields).
    A few exclusive techs for the neutrals that can be taken if you dont follow shadows or vorlons would also be cool...

The neutral path could be lesser variants of both shadow and vorlon paths, thus you will not have to 'overspecialize'..

Cool idea :D

Tech bases: dig sites or amassadorial bases would be cool...
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Re: Re: Babylon 5: Allegiance

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Messiah [/i]
    [B]Tech bases: dig sites or amassadorial bases would be cool... [/B][/QUOTE]

How about firstone ruins/artifacts?

This sounds like it will be good if you can pull it off :D

Worf
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I forgot to mention there will be no shields, except perhaps on ships with gravitational deflection.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    what about the organic hulls on Vorlon/minbari ships?
    Those will be self repairing hulls.
    Looks like someone has allready started:

[url]http://www.freeallegiance.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=47540[/url]
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    It'd be great if you and I could attach ourselves onto that project somehow.
    I got this message from a member for freeallegiance

To: croxis
    Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:19 pm
    Subject: B5
    I'd be interested in hearing more about what you need.

I'm a 3D modeler.

[url]http://www.pbase.com/ace12ga/allegiance[/url]

I'm contacting other members right now.
    Ahh, excellent.

I note Biggles still hasn't said anything about web space.

Is Souv looking for staff?
    Souv hasn't written back, but I am sure he actually has a life hehe.

The modler who contacted me is mostly interested in Earthforce ships, which is great.

I think the first step needs to be just making one basic faction at a time, starting with the EA. So the initial test releace would be with just the EA. That way we can get it play balanced to itself. Thenw e add in another faction, etc etc etc.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]Ahh, excellent.

I note Biggles still hasn't said anything about web space.

Is Souv looking for staff? [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, sorry. I haven't had a chance to read this thread properly yet [FONT=arial]because I am a poophead[/FONT]. :) If you want webspace and a forum, just tell us what you need. I can sort out the forum in no time, but Sanfam will have to do the webspace.

(croxis - using his one time use only mod abuse card)
    Biggles, I sent you a PM.

Well, Souv is taking a break from it and working on another mod. he plans on getting back into action in June.

So in the meantime, lets get some ships and bases in game!

EA ships:
    Badger, Aura (sp?) and Thunderbolt star furies
    Nova
    Hyperion (my bro requests this should be the first one added)
    Omaga
    Omaga-X
    Victory
    Warlock
    Transport
    Asmiov
    Explorer-Class

Bases:
    Babylon 5
    Io station
    I should note that I'm also now officially involved with the [url="http://slb5mod.no-ip.com/"]Freelancer B5 conversion[/url]. If possible, I'd like to share resources (namely models/textures) between at the very least these two projects, as well as whatever other mod teams are willing to give us a hand.
    IF they are willing to share, I will be happy :)
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    We're willing to share ;)
    <--- Is happy

What kind of work have you guys accomplished so far?
    Check the forums from the page linked above. Things have been in a lull as of late, which is why RubberEagle took on Norlion and me to help produce the thing. We're still trying to get a feel for just how far along things are. RubberEagle's working on a few EA ships, as well as a Minbari station and some other things.

If the modeller you found is willing to share, then maybe he and RubberEagle can work together on this stuff, maybe some divide-and-conquer.

As much as possible, I'd like to share resources between these projects.
    I'll see what I can do