Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

alternative dvd box covers...

Alpha-1Alpha-1 Elite RangerGermany
... can be found here [url]http://www.rixgrafix.com/index_069.htm[/url]
:)

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Now I really wish half my box sets weren't a different size from the other half.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    The covers with no listings are the best...

;)
  • Alpha-1Alpha-1 Elite Ranger Germany
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Now I really wish half my box sets weren't a different size from the other half. [/B][/QUOTE]
    i think these covers arer for the 6 - disk alpha cases;)
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Cool! I like the idea of having the station spread across the spines, looks nice.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    An interesting idea... but then what would I do with the original packaging?
  • That packaging is awesome! if only the real packaging was that good. *Looks to collection*
    I've got 3 seasons R2 with the age logo. Season 4 R2 which is the most hideos boxset ever devised and the Season 5 R1 which is beautiful and metalic. It's an odd assortment. I think I'll rebuy them all in R1. What what they thinking when they changed the packaging for R2 for S4???:mad:
  • AkrovahAkrovah Ranger
    Those things are SWEET!!!. Now, how do you go about making a case out of the printed images? Just come thin poster board and glue or somthing?

Edit: Never mind, looked into the site a little more closely and found my answer.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Akrovah [/i]
    [B]Those things are SWEET!!!.[/B][/QUOTE]
    Abso-fragging-lutely.

Somehow Battlecrap looks strange in Season two style A.
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by E.T [/i]
    [B]
    Somehow Battlecrap looks strange in Season two style A. [/B][/QUOTE]

Let the entirer gaglaxy beware the warth of the Battlecrap!
    Scary thought Bobo! :D

My 1st 2 boxsets were region 2 and the cover image is on the right side of the box (when it sits on the shelf that is). The rest are region 1 and have the cover image on the left with the back/synopsis on the right. Odd they would have them inconsistent.
  • Cary L. BrownCary L. Brown Earthforce Officer
    Worth Noting...

Hi everyone...

I saw this thread and decided to give it a quick look-over. I'm pretty happy with my box-set (all region 1, they look nice enough together). However, I have other DVD's that I HATE the packaging for.

The site that's linked to in this thread has one of a number of DVD-case-art sites out there, though it's a pretty nice one. But you only get graphics, nothing more.

SO, what do you do?

Well, if you read the site more closely, you'll find that the guy who did the art also recommends where to get the cases to use this on. Here's the vendor he recommends:

[url]http://www.inetdvd.com/store/cases.asp[/url]

No more "fold-over-ten-times" DVD cases for me. :)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Hell, this is the solution to the massively flawed packaging for a number of the seasons, as well. In addition to stopping the spontaneous release of DVDs, the use of an alternate case means easier accessibility! WEWT!

Also, being at RIT means I can get these things printed like there is no tomorrow...

woohoo!
  • Mr.GaribaldiMr.Garibaldi Earthforce Officer
    I love the picture across the spines! AND MAYBE if you buy new cases they will hold the DVDs better then the factory ones!!

Even if you go to RIT you still have to pay for it :rolleyes: ...unless you have friends in the print shop :D

This guy should be hired by the studios to do the box sets for all the shows!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mr.Garibaldi [/i]
    [B]I love the picture across the spines! AND MAYBE if you buy new cases they will hold the DVDs better then the factory ones!!

Even if you go to RIT you still have to pay for it :rolleyes: ...unless you have friends in the print shop :D

This guy should be hired by the studios to do the box sets for all the shows! [/B][/QUOTE]

The Alphapak cases are far superior to the Nexpak. I've got a few here. They lock the discs in using actual clips, as opposed to friction surfaces. It's a good deal better, though it's not an Amaray design, but Amaray packaging is not available in 6 or 7 disc styles...

As for being at RIT...all that means is cheap prints. It *is* cheaper for the quality you get. I've found that anything I do print here is fantastic, and the prices are usually pretty great.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    AWESOME box art!!! Thanks for posting the link, Alpha-1!!! :)

I really don't know what they were thinking when they made those original boxes either, and don't get me started about those infamous retainers.

The question that remains though is what to do with that box art?I'm not that familiar with what's out there in terms of DVD packaging. I will probably repackage the entire series though if I find a good box system.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]The Alphapak cases are far superior to the Nexpak. I've got a few here. They lock the discs in using actual clips, as opposed to friction surfaces. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's what all the region 4 sets use.
  • AkrovahAkrovah Ranger
    I don't know if anyone else has actually done this, but i just finished putting mine together and they look awsome. I had all the region 1 boxes too, and while they looked pretty good standing on a shelf together, they do not compare to these things.

I was so excited about the way they looked I've started making my own for my Cowboy Bebop discs. Can't find any art for those in the few sites I've looked in.

I do recomend to anyone who has the means and the will to use these box covers.
    How did you put them together?
  • AkrovahAkrovah Ranger
    I printed them out and put the covers in some of those ALPHA paks his website talks about that I got off EBAY.

[url]http://www.rixgrafix.com/index_004.htm[/url]

He, or she, has all the neccesary info here.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]How did you put them together? [/B][/QUOTE]

It looks like you can order them as packaging also...
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    do i buy or just print out on my own?
    Looks like you buy the case and then print out the covers.

Ooh, that site has replacement DS9 covers... good, I hate the DS9 packaging.
  • AkrovahAkrovah Ranger
    Yea, just buy empty cases an dprint out the covers on a color printer. Of course, now it won't match with the movie set. Oh well.
    He'll probably come up with a new one for the movies.
  • nice either way
    Bit of a bump, but this stuff is gorgeous. Soon, I'll be using it to condense the DVD shelf and re-organize things a bit more efficiently. With a purchase of Crusade looming on the Horizon, my B5 box set release will be complete. DS9 is nearly done, and both TOS, TAS, and TNG are being strongly considered for purchase.

So much of this art looks just plain gorgeous compared to some of the crap boxes out there.

My plans:
    B5 box set
    Star Trek: The Captains Collection
    or... Star Trek: Ships of the Line.

The captain's collection looks more visually pleasing, but Ships of the Line makes The Animated Series fit in better, and might also look a bit cool.
  • I prefer how they come, because they're different colors, so then I don't have to think when I'm going for a certain season.
    My biggest complaint with the Star Trek seasons is that while they are neat, getting to certain discs can be a pain. the TNG seasons in particular are a mess with regard to that. DS9 also has a problem with the spines cracking after too much use, rendering the entire package useless.

Similarly, the B5 box sets have the terrible Nexpak holders that are apparently made of tissue paper, egg shells, and hope. Never before have I had so many issues with a box set falling to pieces, and at the same time nearly destroying its contents.

Alphapak or Amaray storage FTW.
    My B5 cases are doing ok mainly because they sit on the self, haven't been taken down and watched in a while. I remember when I got season 1 I had a real job getting the sleeve to slide out. And all these years later its still tight as hell!

The s1-3 box for BSG I picked up a few weeks ago is very fragile and a bad design really. Having to slide the top off just to get to the individual cases is a right pain and given the shape of the inner sleeve, its difficult to get back on without catching the edges which obviously leads to damage. Style over function of course. I much prefer the design used for the re-done 24/X-Files boxsets. I believe they are Amaray cases?

Btw that reminds me I still need to get Crusade... and LOTR (the B5 one not the other trilogy). My two Ikea dvd towers are officially full but luckly the new store is opening in a few weeks! Bring on DVD Collection Expansion Phase 3! :D