Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Introducing The Great Machine, the B5 Wiki!

In the past, I promised a Wiki going by the name of [url=http://tgm.firstones.com/]The Great Machine[/url]. Well, here it is! Yes, it's been a few months coming, but we've had a few difficulties, and perhaps I'm just a *tad* lazier than I should be, but that's not the point. The point is, it exist, and it works! All we need now is content.

Yes, content! It's up to you, the Babylon 5 Fanbase to make [url=http://tgm.firstones.com/]The Great Machine[/url] a friendly, accurate, and most importantly [i]reliable[/i] resource usable by anyone wishing to seek information about our favorite show.

So enjoy [url=http://tgm.firstones.com/]The Great Machine![/url]

p.s.: It turns out, the wording of the default pages produces a [url=http://www.firstones.com/images/tgm.png]neat message...[/url]

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I didn't see any shadows. :(

Anyway, [url=http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_User%27s_Guide#For_editors]here's how it works[/url]. It's all really quite simple. Anyone can add and edit information. Please act sensibly, don't add rubbish or spam, and [b][i]please proof read your entries.[/i][/b] Maybe even get someone else to proof read them too.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I just did two massive updates. I should also point out that each page has its own discussion for debates and the like, however it may be possible to edit that to point to the forums? I also posted a link to tgm on the babylon 5 wikipedia entry
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Great start! Thanks, Croxis!

I'll see if I can dig up some information on some stuff. I know my roommate could probably conjur up lots of thoughts on EA history. I'd really like to get a real Babylon 5 [b]Universe[/b] encylopedia going :D
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Coolness!! :cool:
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    Great :)

Though i think i just found an error in the "unspoiled summary" page: it says there "Twenty-four hours before its completion Babylon 4 disappeared without trace. ", but it was 24 hours after going operational, if i remember correctly.
  • Tonight on TransGalactic Network News:

- So, tell me about this Great Machine.

- Nonono, not Great Machine! Mmm, it is Not-So-Great Machine. We have many guns, but we no use them - it make good snow cone though. :p

And yes, good work indeed.
    Sheesh, RC has gone more nuts than I did!

I think we shoudl have a contest for a TGM logo
  • Lotsa links go to Wikipedia... is that by default, or because we don't have pages for those links [yet]?
  • I fixed whatever spelling errors I could find, and one link (Clark on the "Human" page). Hope you guys don't mind.

-- MikhailM, resident spell-checker. :)
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    I posted an update on the Striebs, but noticed that it's misspelled on the main page. For some reason, though, I could not edit that part of the page to correct the spelling.
  • I'm fairly sure Streib is the correct spelling... but not sure enough to edit it in the Wiki.
    Much of the initial content i posted came from the wikipedia,, so that could be why there are no links.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by the_exile [/i]
    [B]Lotsa links go to Wikipedia... is that by default, or because we don't have pages for those links [yet]? [/B][/QUOTE]

Thats becuase the content came from Wikipedia originally for those pages...and we haven't modified them much. I fixed them so they weren't dead though :)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MikhailM [/i]
    [B]I fixed whatever spelling errors I could find, and one link (Clark on the "Human" page). Hope you guys don't mind.

-- MikhailM, resident spell-checker. :) [/B][/QUOTE]Let's start a Grammar Nazi union and demand better spelling. And dental!
    Lets not stop there, lets do health insurance while we are at it too!
    Bloody A I'm already getting lost in this thing!
  • PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    Found the Secret Message yet? :shadow2:

-Φ has 666 posts
  • Currently working on redirects for common variants, ie. Humans -> Human, Shadows -> Shadow
    I'm working on crosslinking
  • SamsomaelSamsomael Earthforce Officer
    Great work!

Wouldn't mind helping out with expanding. I'm new to the wikipedia area though, so is there any way to warn of spoilers to information in things like the histories of species? Don't want to give away things for people who have just started to enjoy B5 and haven't gone very far through the story line.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    If they haven't seen the show, they probably shouldn't be reading the wiki. :)
    Well, they may be irregulars, or incomplete viewers. note that we also have a {{spoiler}} notice now. that'll also be useful.
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Very very cool... Hope to help out some more once I get some sleep and some free time. Just filled in a couple small things tonight before I head off to bed. Awesome project though, I really like it!!
    aye, I also suggest for symnatics that we place NS_ or US_ (non spoiled or unspoiled) in front of duplicated entries for non spoiled viewers
    NS seems like a good idea. Accepted!
    Note that I am assuming that everything linked from the main section is spoilers. Only those things linked from the "spoiler free overview!" at [url]http://tgm.firstones.com/wiki/Unspoiled_Overview[/url] am I making sure is free of spoilers. Right now the only part that is a crossover between the two sides is the actor/actress list. I hope however that that won't have any spoilers. As long as we talk about the actor/actress and not the characters it would be best, though of course we will have links to the characters :( - no way to avoid that from the actors.

However, if the people want to keep delving into characters...they are going to hit spoilers no matter what we do.
    Well, in pages that have spoilers, just seperate the information. Keep non-spoiler information above the {{spoiler}} tag, and put the rest below it. This way, we can get away with keeping a limited number of pages in the db.
    The biggest problem with the spoiler warning is the fact that the show is not temporally located. Anytime you talk about Babylon 4 or the Minbari or the Last Shadow War you are dealing with a temporal break.

When you hit a temporal break you wind up with Spoiler information in years preceeding 2258. In general all spoilers are after 2258, but when providing a date ordered history of a species it is impossible to accurately give spoiler warnings since backhistory is often part of the show too. For instance, Delenn's involvement with the war against Earth.
  • I think that having entirely separate pages for NS and US entries would be more trouble than it is worth. Provide a brief overview, and then have a message stating that the rest of the entry contains spoilers.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Random Chaos [/i]
    [B]The biggest problem with the spoiler warning is the fact that the show is not temporally located. Anytime you talk about Babylon 4 or the Minbari or the Last Shadow War you are dealing with a temporal break.

When you hit a temporal break you wind up with Spoiler information in years preceeding 2258. In general all spoilers are after 2258, but when providing a date ordered history of a species it is impossible to accurately give spoiler warnings since backhistory is often part of the show too. For instance, Delenn's involvement with the war against Earth. [/B][/QUOTE]

Something we should consider for a timeline then, is figuring out how to dynamically enable/disable the viewing of selections. We could maybe have jambo come in and make us a "spoiler hide" tag that we could apply, and through CSS, show or hide the text selectively.