Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Schedule

I'd like to start things off a bit better than some of the other attempted tasks here by laying down a schedule of some sort to help plan things out. Stages would include anything from confirming the method of file access to deciding on what format or formats would work best, or even what the hell we'd do this with. It's going to be a practical , indexed file repository.

Comments

• FoxerFoxer Earthforce Officer
    Well I vote the models Format To:
    3d Studio Max Format *.Max
    The pictures as:
    PNG format so they would be small and the quality remains
    Storylines and other stuff should be in html
    And that other stuff
    Cutscenes and clips in *.avi

Thats my opinion
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I agree with the above with one reservation regarding the 3D format. I don't think it's a good idea to just stick with one format as there are quite a few people who use other 3D software than just 3DMax.

It would be counterproductive to exlude models for the sole reason that they are not available in one particular format.

I've been looking for B5-related meshes recently and I have the distinct impression that there are more Lightwave models out there are made with 3DMax for instance.

Keep in mind, not everyone in the modding community can or want to afford pricey professional 3D software. I'm a trueSpace user myself, but I can see the benefits of using a standard that everyone can use like 3DS for instance which most 3D apps can at least import and export.
    Well......maybe ur right, but there can be a solution: Widely spread *.3ds format.......you can use Deep Exploration to convert files from 3ds to lwo and vice versa.....
    Same goes for 3ds max
    Deep Exploration can be found here:
    [url]www.righthemisphere.com[/url]
    But why are we waiting?
    Lets make this project alive
    I can give some models textures and music from our mod for a start......
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The benefit of using a format like 3DS or Lightwave is that they are both very common formats and there are oodles of converters available to convert them to and from other model formats.
    Yeah.....thats right, but what about bringing this true
  • JamboJambo Scriptkiddie
    I'll make the point here as well.

The more you ask mod teams to standardise things, change model formats, structure and so on, the less enthusiastic they'll be. I think you need to decide on how you are going to deal with model submissions.

I can think of two ways of implementing the system.

1. Let the mod team upload their models directly, if they want to that is, in whatever format they want. Then, should another mod use it, and change it somehow (say change the model format, texture format etc..) they should upload it as an Alternative Version of the same model, complete with notes about the changes. That way you'd have the original, and potentially different versions created

2. Mod teams submit the models, which are then changed by a team working on standardise them.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I think having a seperate team to make standardizations would be the best option
    Yeah....it seems for me that we have settled this thing......now lets make soemthing happen.....
    We cant just sit here and let nothing to happen....c'mon we have to move our "Countersuited Butts" to do something
    Someone could make a subdomain so the place would have somekind of storing system....like Apache or something and everyone can go there and pick their resources......
  • Well I have a slight "problem" with just a .3ds format. I can convert to 3ds to my opt format and back. But if I need to edit the model, it becomes a little complex. Textures in the modeling system can only go to max of 256X256X256, and only in multiples of (ex 16X8, 256X128, 8X256etc...). And converting a 3ds model to use in Autocad is a timely process. The utilities I use are dated unfortnatly and no longer updated. My models will be very limited and I know alot of games use 16k color textures and excess of 256 in size anymore. Texturing will become an issue when crossing between platforms.
    Which is why there would be multiple versions in multiple file types :)

My problem is that I use blender for any 3d work, and no one makes converter to game formats for blender :)
    If u have any issues then u can download Deep Exploration from [url]www.righthemisphere.com[/url] its very useful in converting....
    And I disagree with u Trident, If I export it doesnt change almsot anything.... I am Using 3ds Max 6 and its all fine for me to import them
    So Ill see if I can find a place where to make a server for this Cooperation
    I think the server can be used here as a subdomain (right?). Its a matter of Sanfam, Jambo, and Biggle actually getting some coding done
    Hmm....How large is the server's capacity anyway?
    All I know is that size isn't a problem, bandwith is another story, which is why I think it owuld be best to have some kind of mirer (bloody spelling) system set up.
    Maybe yeah.....still i think its a good Idea and when all the modders start downloading the stuff Firstones.com will run out of bandwith......So I think that every mod should set up a link to download the stuff.....I think this whole thing can be resolved with a plain forum