Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Types of resources

Another thing for you guys to consider...

what types of resources would specifically be categorized?

I'm thinking as follows:

major:
[list]
[*]Environments
[*]Models
[*]Textures
[*]Timelines/History
[*]Characters
[*]Conceptual materials (if any)
[*]Canon source material
[/list]

Sub categories:
Environments:
[list]
[*]Modelled Environments or Worlds
[*]Simple Schematics/blueprints
[*]Detailed Schematics/Blueprints
[/list]
Models:
[list]
[*]Ships
[*]Characters
[*]Weapons
[*]Typical Objects
[*]Stellar Objects
[*]Other
[/list]
Textures:
[list]
[*]Interior Surfaces
[*]Exterior Surfaces
[*]Common Ship Textures
[*]Common Weapons Textures
[*]Character Faces
[*]Character Uniforms
[*]Effects/Explosions (maybe not here, somewhere else?)
[*]Unique Textures
[/list]
Timelines/History:
[List]
[*]Canon B5 history
[*]Collective Sum Events Chart
[*]Individual Mod Events Chart
[*]Year-specific Events Chart
[*]Known-open timeframes
[*]Unclosed plot threads
[/list]
Characters:
[list]
[*]Canon Characters
[*]Mod Characters (with complete histories)
[*]Character relationships
[*]Character timeline chart (where were they, and when were they there? (bar-chart)
[/list]
Conceptual Materials:
Would contain materials used in the brainstorming/planning of a mod, if any. Might be useful to those wishing to start a mod, but don't know how. Or just people looking for inspiration.

Canon Source Materials:
Exactly as described. Canon source materials for anything and everything a mod could draw from. Use wiki or other sites as source.

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    The station alone could use its own repository.

Question: would a video capture repository make sense? It would require quite a bit of server storage space. We'd have to agree on image size, file size, file format, compression, etc.

Taking screenshots from the show of key installations for instance to map out the entire station to enable modders to create a model of the inside of the station. A first person shooter set in the station is still missing in the realm of action games.

A subsection could focus on station civilian and military hardware, human and alien sectors, crew uniforms, etc, etc. This wouldn't have to go down to the brand of shoelaces Londo was wearing in episode x, but it should be detailled enough to allow said modders to get started.

I'm suggesting this because quite a few people now have the entire show on DVD and this is obviously THE ultimate, yet unstructured, source of canon material there is.

What do you think?
  • FoxerFoxer Earthforce Officer
    Ok lets make the Repositry so everyone must Log-In and they must be Registered here as a Modder adn must prove that they are modding not stealing the models for their own purposes (like saying: I did It)
    SO it could be very realistic idea.....Im In
    I have alot of models to put here
    Just divide the model resources int sub-levels
    So B5TC will ahve its own separate folder where are the models other can use.......but lets make it so full credit will be granted
  • JamboJambo Scriptkiddie
    I was thinking about that last night Foxer.

I think the choice of whether or not a model should be fully public should be down to the mod team, they could be given an option to either limit access to other members of other mods, or allow to be downloaded by everyone (after they've logged in of course, using their forum account), during the upload.

Or what about some sort of upload/download ratio system?
    It should be limited in this way:
    All people who log in must prove they are modders for b5 and so on....and registering must go manually that means someone looks at ur registration....not some automatic reg system

That grants that the files will get into right hands
    And they can download anythign they want......
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Right now domain space has to be done manualy.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    What might work for the acess to the models is that you have to be recommended by someone to get access.
    Maybe a rank-system might be good. "newbie"-moders can only access the basic forums. If you get promoted, you can access more forums and the resources. And if you prove to be responsible and trustworthy, you get a "vote" in the promoting process.

As for who decides if a resource is available to everyone: that should be the one who created it.
    We'd probably would need Identifiers for the different mods, so that the creator could say that he wants the FL, Alliegence, and XWA mods, but not the Battlecruiser Millenium mod (i chose this because i don't think one exists, and i don't want to discriminate anyone ;) )
    to access his files.
    Again, those informations would have to be maintained by someone.
    Probably the "boss" of the mods.
    And if a mod isn't in the list, then someone from the mod-team (ideally the project leader) would have to send in a request for a new account to be created...
    I think that the commanding staff should be all the MOD leaders....no exceptions.....the oens who are in lead get to the Admin team or something like that
    It would be very good to make the place as a forum
    So if someone wants he can promote you to a better group via the Admin CP
    I think its quite possible
    I think I can do something to the fltc.firstones.com
    But it will take some time....till then we have to wait