Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Model or Mesh Formats?

So right now, LWO and 3DS seem to be popular formats and are common enough to warrant selection. But could we also use DXF or DWG or whatever format that's called as a standby?

Also, if someone doesn't have a tool to convert their model into one format from another, maybe they could post it and let another person do it?

Also, regarding LODs, I think we should have six or seven LODs. 0-4 (or 5) would be game-friendly detail, and 5/6 would be aimed at rendering scenes with the model. We should also consider suggesting the creation of "placeholder" models for the higher details (or perhaps making the lower detail models accurate enough to be used at placeholders)

Comments

• FoxerFoxer Earthforce Officer
    I think that we should use only 3ds.......because it can be very difficult to get something from lwo to max
    We can use DeepExploration to convert them
    SO we could use LWO 3DS and MAX formats
    More will get us confused
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    From my experience 3ds and lwo are the most "popular" formats. DXF is hideously large, if I'm not mistaken (ok, zipping it should reduce the size considerably), but you can get to it easily enough using the modelling package of your choice or DeepExploration.

I would not use the native .max format. It's really only good for .max users, and it's extremly version specific to whatever 3ds MAX version it was done in(I don't think that's the case with lwo in such an extent, but maybe someone who actually uses Lightwave might elaborate on that ;) ). It's easy enough to export from MAX to .3ds, so imho it isn't really an inconvinience.
    Yes thats true......so mayeb lets make only 3ds format, because its the most widely spread format.......and I think its the best there is to any modeller when converting.......

Oh BTW RubberEagle.......about the models u sent me
    I had them finsihed along time before :p
    And I finished alot of models.....acctually a whole fleet of them
    Like:
    Omega
    Olympus
    Sentri
    Avioki
    All Shadow Ships
    Drakh Fighter and the Drakh Raider
    Also I finished a better version of B5......when I saw TBP's B5 then I knew I have to replace my old one.....so I did a Movie-Level Model, that is ofcourse still acceptable to play with
    Narn Fighter
    Jumpgate
    A bunch of Interiors
    Hyperspace
    I also have ur models:
    Starfury
    Thunderbolt
    WhiteStar
    Hyperion-With normal textures....nto those dark ones
    Nial

and more.....
  • Now, relating to this issue, it becomes a slight problem. Autocad has a HORRIBLE texturing system if you don't have all the bells and whistles (which I don't). I still have yet to figure out the basic system it uses, and importing textures from 3ds models was a nightmare with the good high poly models. So if I want to edit a model to fit to my "mod", the texturing would have to all be redone again. It's been a common problem in the past, with all the vast types of editors out there.
    Methinks you need a new program to model....
    Discreet's 3D Studio Max is my favorite
    You can download version 7 demo at: [url]www.discreet.com[/url]
  • I have 3dsmax 5, I don't like the interface that well, don't really have the time(or money) to learn a new system fully.
    Well.....I assure you that 3ds Max 7.5 is alot better than 3ds Max 5

The difference is Extremely Big
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Foxer [/i]
    [B]Well.....I assure you that 3ds Max 7.5 is alot better than 3ds Max 5

The difference is Extremely Big [/B][/QUOTE]
    also the price tag is pretty big....

One thing i've learned in my years is that everyone should use the modelling package he/she is most comfortable in. Hell, i still can't understand how anyone can model something in lightwave, but hey, if they manage to produce something, then by god, let them :)
    [QUOTE]Hell, i still can't understand how anyone can model something in lightwave[/QUOTE]

Yeah....lol I once tryed it, but it really wasnt my style......it was quite easy to model, but just the detail level gets too big....