Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Textures

I couldn't find a existing thread for this, but something we also need to consider is how the models are textured. Some games allow for multiple texture files for one mesh, while other games (mostly older) are limited to a single texture image UV mapped in some way. I'm not a 3D artist but would this mean we would need two versions of every LOD, one for multiple textures and one for a single texture?

Comments

• JamboJambo Scriptkiddie
    The problem here is that the more you ask mod teams to standardise things for this project, the less enthusiastic they're likely to be about it.

How about a system which allows for "Alternative" of the same model, that can be uploaded by someone else at a later date.

Say mod team x provides the starfury model, then someone downloads it, uses it for his mod, but changes the textures, then he should be the one to upload it as an "alternative version" with a brief description of the changes.
  • FoxerFoxer Earthforce Officer
    Well....I think if we have the models.....then the textures wont be so hard.....even when its meant for 1 part the model can be changed and UWV Mapped.....the hardest things are the textures and the Models.....so if we have a bunch of models and a bunch of textures.....everyone can choose them depending how their mod is supposed to look like
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Its not quite that easy IIRC for UV textures. From what I recall the texture has to be made specificly for that model (I could be quite wrong in this, its been a while sence I played around with 3d stuff)
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    Well, you can get other textures to work...
    If the models are similar, you can adjust the UVW Coordinates to the texture. If it looks good is a different question though...
    What should not be a problem is converting a model that uses multiple textures to using just a single one, imho...
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Yah, your right, my bad :)
  • FoxerFoxer Earthforce Officer
    But there are still other textures, so we can choose the right textures that we need......I think if we put something, we must make a Sample picture of the model.....and a short description with polycount texture sizes etc.