Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Babylon 5 / Trek Crossover Pilot Greenlighted

From rec.arts.af.tv.babylon5.moderated:

[quote]Hollywood, CA -- Warner Brothers announced today that it has signed a one-episode contract with Paramount Television to produce a pilot episode for a potential new science fiction television series. The pilot will mate two popular franchises -- Warner's [i]Babylon 5[/i] and Paramount's [i]Star Trek[/i] -- a move that is sure to spark controversy amongst the fans of both series.

Rick Berman, executive producer and co-creator of [i]Star Trek Voyager[/i], is helming the project as co-exexutive producer along with [i]Babylon 5[/i] creator and writer J. Michael Straczynski.

"Really, it's the best of both worlds," Berman stated in a recent interview. "We're taking two of the most popular sci-fi television universes and allowing them to merge. I think the strengths of both shows will compliment each other magnificently." And the fans will love it.

Straczynski shares Berman's enthusiasm for the project. "To say I was skeptical when Rick first approached me with the idea would be a gross understatement," Straczynski said. "But Rick was persistent, and the more I listened to his ideas, the more I realized this might actually work, as long as it's done without stepping on any pre-established rules and history of both shows."

Without revealing specific details about the plot of the pilot, Berman elaborated on the potential of the show: "How would a Klingon--the ancient warrior race in [i]Star Trek[/i]-- react to a seeing a Shadow -- the spidery chaos-driven race in [i]Babylon 5[/i]? How would Captain Sheridan (Babylon 5) feel about the Prime Directive (the oft-broken first rule of contact taught by [i]STar Trek[/i]'s Star Fleet Academy)? This is the kind of playground the writers will have to play in with this series."

Speculation and criticizm from the both shows' fan communities was heated.

"It's a sci-fi fan's dream come true," said Ernie Gestado, owner of a comic book store in Seattle, WA and self-professed "Trekkie". "I can't wait to see what they're going to do with this show. I'm starting my fan website as soon as I get home."

Not all fan reaction was positive, however. At a recent sci-fi convention in London, England, a group of [i]Babylon 5[/i] fans expressed their dismay at the project. "I have just died a little inside," said Mark Sheldon. "Why are you doing this, Joe [Straczynski], why?"

The title of the pilot and proposed series is still under wraps. Various sci-fi websites have posted unconfirmed reports, however, that the pilot will be called "Worlds Collide". A news post at Trekalon5.vom (link), a newly-created fan site for the project, is claiming that the series will carry the name [i]Star Trek: Babylon[/i], but no source for the rumor is given.

Casting for the pilot is expected to begin in May 2005, with filming starting in June. According to Straczynski and Berman, filming for the series will begin in early 2006 if the pilot is well-received.

Source: Variety, April 1st Edition[/quote]

Comments

• Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    :D

Too bad the link was dead ;)
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Random Chaos [/i]
    [B]:D

Too bad the link was dead ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

i hate april first.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    ... I hate you. I woke up, turned on my computer, this was on the front page and I flipped out. Took me a full 58 seconds to realize what was going on. But I would love to see rangers kicking klingon ass
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [IMG]http://www.mrhinojosa.com/blog/archives/khan!!!.jpg[/IMG]
  • LecksterLeckster Earthforce Officer
    Gee, its april 1st i wonder what that means...
  • ChickyChicky Moderator
    puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurpleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:D :D :D :D :D
  • Well, I forgot to check the date and I was totally fooled until I read the replies. Thanks for the heart attack!!!

Weirdly though, I started to almost think it was a good idea - we'd have Babylon 5 back in SOME form...
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    if i ever get my hands on you!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

;)
  • Funny thing is that it isn't *that* far off :D
    [url]http://www.starwreck.com/[/url]