Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Severed Dreams needs your help!!

diegocmr wrote : [i]While the rest of the Severed Dreams team focus on model/texture creation and engine coding, it is my part as "everything-sound-related-creator" to start assembling the game's voice acting staff and start composing in-game music. For that, I need that everyone who wishes to help to sign-on at the forum in fltc.firstones.com and reply to [url=http://fltc.firstones.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=2]the voice acting topic[/url].

I need the following:
5 male voice actors for the main fighter squadron
2 female voice actors for the main fighter squadron
1 male voice actor for the fighter's computer voice
13 secondary male/female voice actors

And, for those who are into music...
3 male voice choir singers
3 female voice choir singers
1 viola player
1 percursion player
2 violin players
1 acoustic bass player
1 synthesizer (a.k.a keyboard) player

All of those aplying to the musical part must be able to read musical staff.

Thanks in advance everyone;

diegocmr
Babylon 5: Severed Dreams[/i]

Comments

• What is he kidding? How are they going to record live orchestral instruments over the Internet? It would be simpler and cheaper (and ultimately would sound better) to use GPO.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I think each person would play record their part then send it in....?
  • Well, yeah, of course that describes the mechanics of the problem. What I'm talking about is how do you get a cohesive performance out of a chamber ensemble with no conductor? Everyone is going to have to record themselves in a different room, with different equipment. That pretty much guarantees different EQ and ambience going into the raw mix. If they play along with a click track, they should be able to keep a consistent tempo, but that doesn't account for dynamics, balance, attack, intonation, expression, or any of a zillion other things that go into making music sound like music.

Anyway, good luck to 'em. I hope it works out.
    I know, I don't think it is a good idea at all. If I were me I would contact local HS orchistra directors to see if they would be willing to have their students learn and perform it.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    This actually presents a very interesting option.

If you're interested...my highschool happens to have a professional-quality studio with two moderately sized recording rooms and all the gear to record a decently well packed orchestra. I've got some pull with the current ruling body as I used to more or less live there. Over my next break, I could see if my old high school would be interested in starting something good up. However, I can't even start to investigate this until thanksgiving, but it's quite likely that this could be the optimal situation for such a project.
  • Why make things hard on yourself? GPO is about 250 bucks, and includes samples of professional musicians playing a variety of world-class (i.e Stradivari, Guarneri) instruments, all perfectly in tune. Seriously, I spent more on a decent microphone and pre-amp to record voice over talent.

Here's an example of what it sounds like in the hands of a talented composer:

[url]http://www.garritan.com/mp3/TheSeventhSeal.mp3[/url]
    Note that I just posted the original news. I don't represent the Severed Dreams mod :D

Anyway, I think their goal is to spend little to no money to achieve their goals (as it's a non-commercial product with no easy sources of revenue), and while their plans for internet-based collaboration are nice, it's just unfeasable for many of the reasons you mentioned. My offer was to give free access to a professional studio with over a dozen top notch synthesizers as well as professional quality analog recording equipment (If only I was a musician...I'd have never left that place) through my connection with it, and thus not have to spend $250--or even anything close to that--on their own gear. Most of the performances could be done by students for credit in classes. Being all in one location, nobody would have to worry about track synchronization, nor tune, nor recording environments of variable and likely poor quality, and the end result would be high quality transitions. Hell, the sheet music could be transposed into the MIDI software and performed on the synths if it were so wished.

And as nice as GPO might be, it still requires them to find someone with the skill to use it. I by no means disapprove of an investment in GPO, as it's a fine sample library and toolkit, but it's a lot of money for a free project, and needs someone familiar with the software to handle it correctly and get great output.
  • B5:SD Needs A Programmer!

The project needs a LEAD PROGRAMMER (C++) with SKILL, INTEREST and TIME.

We have a 3D Realtime Rendering Engine, so we need help with developing the GAME engine ontop of it.

Our previous lead programmer didn't have the time to work on the game.

[URL=http://fltc.firstones.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi]Visit B5:SD Forums[/URL]
    [EMAIL=Foxer_F1@hotmail.com]Contact The Project Leader[/EMAIL]
  • It seems that we now have two (2) programmers. :D

More are welcome, as well as modellers and 2D artists.
  • PrimusPrimus Trainee
    Ha Friggin Ha!

So, our great lead programmer has left building (bailed without a word). And the other one, gone too!

Why? I do not know...

We have story, models, sound - But we need to glue them together to make the game and now only programmer can help.

Again, I'm calling for a [b]C++ Programmer who has skills, interest and time for developing B5:SD freeware game.[/b]

Please Contact: [email]foxer_f1@hotmail.com[/email]

EDIT; I apologize for the thread bumb. :o :)
    Help these guys out! They could really use a fair kick for once.

Have you looked at their starfury? I mean, come on!
  • FoxerFoxer Earthforce Officer
    It would be a damn right time for the people in this community gather and help us out a little.

If you know, or can find a programmer, then please try to link that programmer to our site ([URL=http://fltc.firstones.com]http://fltc.firstones.com[/URL]) and let him contact us.

We are trying to create something different here, something beautiful and something that makes a difference in the history of B5 games.
    Something that will be the Babylon 5 Space Simulator.
    I know it has had a rough beginning, already 3 programmers were just fooling around, never appearing online and then disappearing without a trace.
    But atleast it has a good solid storyline that has countless sleepless nights invested into them, it is something that we have worked hard on and something that we wont give up on so easily.
    We have the graphics engine to cut down the time we have wasted, we have the graphics and we have the sound, but we dont have that key that binds this all together: a programmer.

That's all I have to say for now, Cheers people!

:)
    I wish I could program. Maybe I'll get a second BS in computer science.
  • PrimusPrimus Trainee
    I wish I could too...