Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Question about Hunter, Prey.

This episode is the one with Dr Jacobs in it, where he is one the run from EA special forces or something, and has to hide in Kosh's ship to avoid being found.
At one point the B5 security are using a thing that looks like a pricing gun to try and find Dr Jacobs, because there is a chip inside him so that using this gun thing, people can locate him if he is a few metre away.
Now to my problem. Someone states that it is a precaution against kidnapping. How is that?! [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/confused.gif[/img]
IMHO, that's stretching it a bit. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/vsml.gif[/img]

Cherio.

------------------
Catapvltam habeo. Nisi pecvniam omnem mihi dabis, ad capvt tvvm saxvm immane mittam.
Mater tva criceta fvit, et pater tvo redolvit bacarvm sambvcvs.

Comments

• samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    From the synopsis at the Lurker's Guide:

[quote]Dr. Cranston explains that, as an anti-kidnapping measure, all EarthDome personnel are injected with an identification crystal, which can be scanned for easily.[/quote]

I don't see how this is really far-fetched. There's a very primitive version of this technology in use with pets today. A pet can have a small chip implanted under its skin. The chip holds an ID associated with the owner's information that can be scanned if the dog is lost.

Not too hard to believe that something like this could be developed and used with high-profile individuals.
  • Yeah, but a dog can't stand up and explain who he is to the police. A human usually, generally can. A kidnapper is not going to let someone searching for someone get within 1 metre I'd thought.

I have to admit this seems to be an episode I've not seen!
    [quote]Yeah, but a dog can't stand up and explain who he is to the police. A human usually, generally can.[/quote]

Not if he's dead, or unconscious. Besides, I'm sure tech like that could be detected from more than a meter away, and probably through walls.
  • GilEstelGilEstel Earthforce Officer
    It was never about kidnapping. It was about control. EarthGov at that point and time has shown itself to be insecure about security and control. Of course, it would tag anybody who has any sort of sensitive information.
    Of course it was about control...but if you're going to use a cover-up reason like "kidnapping prevention", you'd better be able to use it for such.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I was under the impression that it could be detected for miles, and the "pricing gun" was just to pin point it.
  • LennierLennier Ranger
    [quote]Originally posted by David of Mac:
    [b]I was under the impression that it could be detected for miles, and the "pricing gun" was just to pin point it.[/b][/quote]

No at the end the guy looking for the doctor believes that he had either left or was never there.
  • You all seem to have missed the point I was trying to make, which was how does it act as a [b]precaution against[/b] kidnapping i.e. how does it help to prevent you from being kidnapped?
    Oh, and BTW GilEstel it [b]was[/b] about kidnapping, Agent Cranston says so in the show. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/tongue.gif[/img]

Cherio.

------------------
    Catapvltam habeo. Nisi pecvniam omnem mihi dabis, ad capvt tvvm saxvm immane mittam.
    Mater tva criceta fvit, et pater tvo redolvit bacarvm sambvcvs.

[This message has been edited by Shuup Nick (edited 05-31-2001).]
    It would be a precaution against kidnapping if people knew about it.

Knowing that someone had a detection chip int them would be a deterrent against kidnapping them.

[quote]Oh, and BTW GilEstel it was about kidnapping, Agent Cranston says so in the show[/quote]

Y'know, people often say one thing and mean another. What GilEstel meant was that just because Earthforce SAYS they're used in the event of a kidnaping, that doesn't mean that's their ONLY use. A devious government would be stupid not to use such a device for control / keeping track of people.

[This message has been edited by samuelk (edited 05-31-2001).]
  • I agree with Sam. In light of the revelation of the dictatorship of President Clark, it would appear that the chip/crystal is more likely to be used as a device for control rather than as a deterrant against kidnapping. Ensures that the government can always keep track of the person's movements.

------------------
    [b]Commander[/b] socrates
    flightleader, [i]Erinyes[/i]
    The Gray Hand of Fate
    AnlaShok Blackops

"Do [b]NOT[/b] interfere."
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    If someone decides to go AWOL, it could be used to fund them. If they decide to defect, it could be used to find them.
    Of course, this all depends on how far away it can be detected from...

------------------
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • SharekSharek Earthforce Officer
    I was under the impression that the chip could be detected from very far away, it's just that on B5 there was a great deal of interference which only allowed the chip to be detected within a few meters, if this is the case then should the person be kidnapped, locating him would be a lot easier and a rescue attempt would have a far greater chance of success. Furthermore, if you(The Kidnappers) knew that such and such a person had this chip in them you would be hesistant to kidnap them knowing that you would have a tough time hiding him unless you can find an area with a great deal of interference, this is of course based on the fact that the chip is public knowledge which by the fact that the agent had to tell B5's officers doesn't seem likely. However, it is also entirely possible that it is not public knowledge and only known to a select few, including probably the individual 'carrying' the chip and would be their trump card in case of kidnapping. Either way, it's an advantage to the 'good guys' if an important person is kidnapped who contains this chip.

------------------
    Just because you are the last man standing at the end of the battle doesn't mean you're a hero, it just means you were lucky.
  • What happens if the kidnappers decide to remove the chip?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Electrocution? [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]

------------------
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras