Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Babylon 5 Single Player RPG

I don't know if this is the right forum, but here it goes....

I've always thought it would be cool to create some sort of game that takes place in Babylon 5....not just a flight sim, but actually inside the station itself. I figured, due to wanning popularity, it would never get done, so I brought it upon myself to make this done.

I've been using an old-school top-down 2D RPG creator called "RPG Toolkit" (found at [url]www.toolkitzone.com[/url]) for years now, and I felt this would be the perfect program to make what I had in mind.

An Open sourced RPG.

The first stage of development would be creating the entire habitable part of the station.....which, if you haven't figured out already, is a shitload. After the entire station is mapped out, the next stage is to program the different game elements (like a combat system, computer systems, etc.) and perhaps plot out a basic storyline, then release the game.

After this, anybody can use the RPG Toolkit to add in their own quests, items, characters, etc., and populate Babylon 5 to its full glory, full of intrigue, diplomacy, and death :D

Attatched is a quick sample of what the game might look like. I did it in like 10 minutes, and obviously the final game will look much better, but you can see the Blue Sector walls I made (yay!).

Anyways, the reason why I'm posting this is because I need help. This is not a one-man job. It would take months of constant work just to map out the entire station. I am asking around at different communities for help, but I feel that this is where the greatest interest would be found.

For the first stage of development, I would need:

1 or 2 tile artists: RPG Toolkit is a tile based system. You draw 32x32 pixel 'tiles', whether in the Toolkit itself or in an external program like Photoshop, and you assemble them on boards to create the game world. I will help out some in this area, but it would be nice to have one or two 2D pixel artists to help out in this area.

1 or 2 board designers: Basically, assembles all the tiles into 'boards' that represents the game world. I'll be one of these, and even though I think I can handle it by myself, it would be nice to have one extra hand, due to the sheer size of the station.

1 sprite artist: What are there.....20 species on Babylon 5? For the most part, make and female versions of each species, and different clothing styles for each race (especially for humans)....we're talking about hundreds of character sprites to represent the population of Babylon 5. I myself suck at sprites, so this is where I really need the most help at.

This could possible be one of the coolest games of all time....but it'll take a combined efforts from all you fine people to make it work....expect me when you see me!

Comments

• croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    HI BABY BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • hey yo!

i didn't think these boards were that slow!
    what do you mean?

FYI its very hard to resolve what is what on the screenie, the tiles need a bit more work obviously
  • slow as in activity...I'd always thought these boards were busy.

okay, here we are talking on a forum, when I can just walk out of my room, walk 4 steps, go into your room, and talk.....
    Most activity is in the Zocalo and irc
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    You know most of us programmers are actually to lazy to post. We programmed ourselfs some artificial Intelligences that do our postings on this board, but we haven't yet been able to convince them to post in the Programming forums. Those AIs are afraid that someone could post a virus here...
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RubberEagle [/i]
    [B]You know most of us programmers are actually to lazy to post.[/B][/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself. :)
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Speak for yourself. :) [/B][/QUOTE]
    To speak for myself i'd need to know what i was saying. I never know what i'm saying, so i can't be speaking for myself...
    Oh my you'll scare the poor bugger!
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Re: Babylon 5 Single Player RPG

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Seafroggys [/i]
    [B]I don't know if this is the right forum, but here it goes....

...I've been using an old-school top-down 2D RPG creator called "RPG Toolkit" (found at [url]www.toolkitzone.com[/url]) for years now, and I felt this would be the perfect program to make what I had in mind.

An Open sourced RPG...

...Attatched is a quick sample of what the game might look like. I did it in like 10 minutes, and obviously the final game will look much better, but you can see the Blue Sector walls I made (yay!)...

...For the first stage of development, I would need:

1 or 2 tile artists: RPG Toolkit is a tile based system. You draw 32x32 pixel 'tiles', whether in the Toolkit itself or in an external program like Photoshop, and you assemble them on boards to create the game world. I will help out some in this area, but it would be nice to have one or two 2D pixel artists to help out in this area.

1 or 2 board designers: Basically, assembles all the tiles into 'boards' that represents the game world. I'll be one of these, and even though I think I can handle it by myself, it would be nice to have one extra hand, due to the sheer size of the station... [/B][/QUOTE]

This forum is as good a place as any...

I'm a bit taken by the dated look of the engine though, is there nothing newer we could use?

(If I had my druthers I would love to see a B5 interior game from the perspective of let's say the Raven engine [Jedi Knight II]) :p One can always dream...

Tile artist and board design I could possibly help with a few months down the road... Would like to resolve the above before I do though...

What do you think Biggles? Cook up an RPG engine or something in your sparetime when you aren't working on your PHd! :D

Cheers!
    Big question is 3d or 2d (as this is 2d). 2D would be more accessable to more people. 3D could be done later.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Rick has suggested Unreal.

UT2004 could work I guess...

Mostly Open as he points out.

I like Corridor play, my idea of RPG is basterdized... :p
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Re: Re: Babylon 5 Single Player RPG

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]What do you think Biggles? Cook up an RPG engine or something in your sparetime when you aren't working on your PHd! :D[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm too busy trying to get a certain other engine going while finishing my PhD in the next few months. :)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Has anyone considered the possibility of a multi-layered isometric quasi-3d view like some of the older RPGs? Adding layers makes handling much of the depth (in terms of floors) a bit easier, as could directly enhance viewable area and make identifying regions of the station a bit less difficult.
  • well if you guys want to do 3D, I'm out.....

this is easier, the engine already exists (and I know how to use it :P), and will take a shorter amount of time....plus it will be easy for other users to 'mod' so to speak.

2D is a lot easier to deal with than 3D, imo.