Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Jump Drives

RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
Hi got a question about jumpdrives: was there ever mentioned in the show if jump-drives leave some kind of residue (radioation, particles, or aftereffects from opening a jump point) in realspace, when a ship jumps into hyperspace?

More specifically, i'm wondering if there's any evidence left behind that would enable someone to find out that in a specific spot a ship jumped into hyperspace...

Comments

• croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I want to say yes, but poke your nose into the great machine and see if anyone said anything on it.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    As far as I can remember, nothing was ever mentioned about this on the show in regards to tracing jump points. Then again, I don't think anyone ever needed to.
  • Something I've always wondered, in hyperspace we see a bunch of gas everywhere that even creates lightning, but does any of that gas ever go through the jump points with the ship? I also wonder if there's sound in hyperspace with all that gas.
    It may not be gas in the way we think, it is a different space ;)
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DarthCaligula [/i]
    [B]Something I've always wondered, in hyperspace we see a bunch of gas everywhere that even creates lightning, but does any of that gas ever go through the jump points with the ship? I also wonder if there's sound in hyperspace with all that gas. [/B][/QUOTE]
    That's actually the route i decided to take.
    And there's also a (in my eyes) plausible reason for it not beeing mentioned in the show: It would only happen in traceable amounts with older jumpdrives.

It is (at least once) mentioned in the show that minbari ships can form jumppoints much more precise than Earth ships, and their jump-engines more advanced. If we look at the shadow-ships, the just phase in and out , they don't need to "rip a hole into space". So the theory i came up with is, that the less advanced a jump engines is, the rougher the "tear in space", and the more matter exchange takes place between hyper space and normal space.

Does this sound plausible at all, or just like major BS?
  • Sound's feasable. But I do find it fairly strange that the vorlons and shadows being pratically the same age, have such differnt technologies(Maybe it was because of the thirdspace incodent that made them abaondon advancing hyperspace technology?). Hyperspace travel is so diverse in B5, it's hard to tell exactly what goes on. Technomages can go anywhere in hyperspace. Most races have to use a nav beacon. Vorlons use standard jump points. Shadows and I think "The Hand" phases into hyperspace. In hyperspace, there has to be something for the more advanced technologies to "track" in order to get a more precise reading of where exactly they are jumping out of. Dispite the Whitestar being part Vorlon technology, correct me if I'm wrong, still had to use tachyon beams to stay on tract in Hyperspace. Also dispite the Victory class being a combination of three+ races of hyerspace technology, it still took a technomage ship to go off the beacon (Way off the beacon...).
    To answer the question about sound in hyperspace, well I'm not to positive if it is an actual sound, or just the reveration of hyperspace's matter against a hull, but there is some type of sound.
    I havn't really heard of anything being traceable in realspace to where a jump point was formed. As far as I know, the only thing traceable between the two relms is tachyons.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Doesnt the jumppoint closing cause some suction? If so, the gas might well be sucked back in..
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Here's a thought, we know that a jump even is violent enough event to seriously distort space-time and any matter that happends to be near it (ITB). Wouldn't it make sense that there is some residual ripple or distortion in the fabric of space that the right sensors could pick up?

Jake
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Freejack [/i]
    [B]Here's a thought, we know that a jump even is violent enough event to seriously distort space-time and any matter that happends to be near it (ITB). Wouldn't it make sense that there is some residual ripple or distortion in the fabric of space that the right sensors could pick up?

Jake [/B][/QUOTE]
    The problem with "distortions in the space/time continuum" is, that its a major foray into Star Trek land... (and it would need pretty advanced sensors, i'd think...)
    I agree that there may bee some kind of "scar" in space, but how does it manifest itself?
  • Well something just poped into my mind (Frelling sleep, woke up only after 3 hours of sleep...grr...) They can detect a jump point forming right before it is visually there. So something has to be showing up for them to detect a point forming. But what would be the right technobable to assign to what is there? An energy? A gas? It's something noticible enough they can detect it a few clicks away.
    From my understanding a great deal of energy is needed to punch a hole. What this energy is (thankfully) not defined. Energy itself is could be some form of EM or gravitational or a by product there of.

While a questionable source, theselinks do provide an interesting read
    [url]http://www.b5tech.com/misctech/jumpgates/jumpgates.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.b5tech.com/misctech/engines/hyperdrive/hyperdrive.html[/url]
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Very likely, what they're detecting is, as mentioned above, a burst of another form of energy. Probably something not in the visible spectrum, but fairly strong, since it can be detected from quite some distance (See: No Surrender, No Retreat)
    Right, but it doesn't have to be EM energy either. Could be gravitational or some kind of relativistic effect. Energy needs a carryer (kenetic, thermal, doesn't matter) and unless we're willing to come up with some new particle or eather, which is very star trek ad hock deus ex machina type of thing.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Freejack [/i]
    [B]Here's a thought, we know that a jump even is violent enough event to seriously distort space-time and any matter that happends to be near it (ITB). Wouldn't it make sense that there is some residual ripple or distortion in the fabric of space that the right sensors could pick up?

Jake [/B][/QUOTE]

If that were so, it would probably dissipate pretty quickely, kind of like the ripples in water when you throw in a stone, after a shor ttime, they flatten and disappear. But by that theory you could detect something within a few minutes of a vortex closing.