Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Babylon 5 – The Lost Tales

Sigma13Sigma13 Earthforce Officer
JMS announced this at San Diego CC (taken from Jan con report):

"--And there’s something else…WB came to him as they do periodically wanting to do something with B5. They asked if he wanted to do a feature film but JMS declined mainly because he can’t yet picture structuring a B5 movie “…as long as Andreas and Rick insist on staying dead.” Maybe in a year or two he’ll be able to but right now he can’t do something big. What JMS suggested was a bunch of short films—little mini-movies, an anthology show set in the Babylon 5 universe. They said, “Okay.” There’s a network already interested in carrying them but they’re also planned for direct to DVD. This will be [b]“Babylon 5 – The Lost Tales"[/b], a lot of small stories that never made it into the series that he’s rediscovered notes for. And JMS wants no interference, complete creative support – in writing. They said, “Okay.” And JMS wants to direct them. They said, “Okay.” The first will be three individual stories about three of the main characters (to be determined). The plan is to shoot in September, post-production Oct.-Dec. and they’ll probably come out the second quarter of 2007."

Looks interesting. :)

Comments

• The Cabl3 GuyThe Cabl3 Guy Elite Ranger
    may the Llort be with us all!

B5 IS BACK?!
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    :)
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    That sounds pretty good, actually. Between the series of accidents and attitude problems that were the Mongoose novels, and the bizarre premise and casting of "The Memory of Shadows," I was worried that Babylon 5 was just about finished.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    If you're lying to me, there will be pain!

Worf
  • I hope!

Has WB finally gotten over themselves?
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    Let me check and be sure its not april 1st yet...
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I am flaberghasted
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I've been burned too many times. Yank out the Crayola 128 pack and color me cynical cyan, but I'm with the distrustful crowd. Until it's out, I'm a non-believer.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    As am I. And it being out doesn't mean it'll be good, either. Just look at Legend of the Rangers.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]As am I. And it being out doesn't mean it'll be good, either. Just look at Legend of the Rangers. [/B][/QUOTE]

the way i look at it, while LotR was crap, at least it [i]was[/i] B5

when it out i'll start celebrating, not yet. the only thing i ever expect WB to do is fuck up
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    With Rangers, you had 3 Entities with their own ideas what it should be: jms, WB, and the SciFi channel (that puts out about 75% crap and 25% watchable shows, as I understand it).
    With these, it's that its jms + WB, though jms seems to have negotiated that he has complete control.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I beg to differ about the outcome of B5LR. JMS often made it out to sound as if the show came *relatively* close to the intended feel, with the major points being lost not because of the quality, but because of it airing alongside a major TV event.

Personally, I thought it was just plain awful, and yet many were giving it glowing reviews, glossing right over the poor writing and terrible acting.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Wait, bad writing???? I though the word "stupidly" was well used!

Jake
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    I hope they do one on the two monks from Deconstruction!

Jake
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowDancer [/i]
    [B]the way i look at it, while LotR was crap, at least it [i]was[/i] B5[/B][/QUOTE]

I'd prefer nothing to a crap version of B5. :) I'm actually all in favour of the "B5 has run and told its story, let it rest" viewpoint.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    I'm fine with Babylon 5 being over, but I just wonder if this will finally show the death of Valen, which from information in the show and some things JMS has said, I strongly believe would be in 2362.
    I just hope these turn out good if they come!
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DarthCaligula [/i]
    [B]I'm fine with Babylon 5 being over, but I just wonder if this will finally show the death of Valen, which from information in the show and some things JMS has said, I strongly believe would be in 2362.
    I just hope these turn out good if they come! [/B][/QUOTE]

Huh? I don't recall any indications that Valen lived until 2362...that's like 1040 years (if you count the forty years he lived as Sinclair first)!
    Yup. The information's out there, or would you rather have me just say why I believe it?
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    I'm with you, Biggles. If something substantial can't be added, then its just milking the franchise, which JMS said he'd never do.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DarthCaligula [/i]
    [B]Yup. The information's out there, or would you rather have me just say why I believe it? [/B][/QUOTE]

Nope, that's good enough for me!
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DarthCaligula [/i]
    [B]Yup. The information's out there, or would you rather have me just say why I believe it? [/B][/QUOTE]

Does it have something to do with it being the date of Delenn's final public appearance?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by David of Mac [/i]
    [B]Does it have something to do with it being the date of Delenn's final public appearance? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yup. Like I said, I could tell you all what I think, and I'm not the only one to reach this conclusion either. Or you all could try to figure out why I think this on your own if you want. Up to you guys I guess.
    You [i]could[/i] just tell us... Saying "I may tell you if you decide you want me to" is like saying "I think I'm wrong so I'll let you see if you can figure it out yourselves." If you want to hide it, use the spoiler tags.

What would Delenn's final appearance have to do with when Valen dies? She isn't Valen, just a descendent of him (along with half of Minbar by that time).
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Sounds more like your talking about the One. Delenn's the One Who Is, Sinclair is the One Who Was and Sheridan is the One Who Will Be
    Spoiler tags then? OK, if this is anything like ISN, then I should be able to do it, but if not, I guess some mod could clean up my mess.

Spoiler: I'll do this in chronological order. A while after Valen's Shadow War ends, Cathrine Sakai appears in sector 14 (see To Dream in the City of Sorrows), Valen would have been hoping she'd appear, and is ready for her. He uses the Chrysalis to make her become mostly Minbari as well. They have children and are banished from Minbar. Since Zathrus is so old, I figure that he dies at some point around then, and even though she's younger, Cathrine dies too from something. After they're both dead and also combined with the fact that he's been banished, Valen flies around in space at times just to be by himself and think, like what he did after Cathrine disappeared the first time.
    Eventually the Yolu (I think that's what they're called. From the comics In Valen's Name, which I have only read summaries of) find him and since they worship him, take him to a distant planet where they "freeze" him, to ensure that he will be around for a long time, and that they will be the only ones with him. Valen's mysterious disappearance, which is still stange enough so that the Minbari think that he will come back some day.
    Later, in 2281, Sheridan dies (or whatever it is that happens) out in space, by himself, in a very mysterious way. The Minbari even say that he may come back. Delenn notices the simularities, and dedicates herself to trying to find out what happened to Valen, not just because of Sinclair, but also in the hope of finding Sheridan again. After 80 years, she finally gets a real solid lead and she and other Minbari (who pity and respect her, but are also curious themselves) head off there. On the way they find out that there will be some show with people talking about how the people on B5 during the Shadow War and making the IA are exaggerated, so she stops by to get her word in. Obviously, The Deconstruction of Falling Stars. This is the last she is ever seen by the public.
    This also comes from something JMS said: "Garibaldi's death (a much quieter passing than he would have
    imagined waiting for him), Franklin's final fate on a distant,
    unexplored planet, Delenn's final journey (a quest involving Valen,
    though no one else around her believes it), Lennier's sacrifice...it's
    all mapped out, on the theory that whether or not it ever gets used,
    *I* had to know it."
    She finds the same planet that Valen is kept on, they find him and wake him up, Delenn and Valen maybe talk a little, the Yolu know that someone's there and try to fix it, and it ends with Delenn, Valen, and Delenn's followers all dying, and no trace of what happened there, except a few pieces of rubble maybe.
    So this all comes from various things said in the show, To Dream in the City of Sorrows, In Valen's Name, and that quote from JMS, but it all seems most likely to me.
  • Sigma13Sigma13 Earthforce Officer
    An update from JMS:
    [quote]To the other questions that have arisen: we're looking at 3 half-hour episodes/stories for the first DVD, with additional features and the like in the other half hour. Each story will be worked around a given established character, the specifics of which are still TBD contingent upon availabilities and other issues.

We have a budget, we're greenlit, we're going.

As for what prompted the interest now at WB...it's only recently that they've finally run through all 5 seasons, which for many years now has been a constant source of revenue, and I think they would love to have something to continue to with. The recent news re: Changeling probably didn't hurt, but the deal was actually being negotiated long before there *was* a feature film deal with Imagine. As I recall, we finalized the deal right around the time that the Imagine news was announced.

It was a rather extraordinary 24 hours.

I held off saying anything until I was cleared by WB to announce it as a go project. Ultimately, whether we shoot in Vancouver or elsewhere will be a function of the deal that gets made locally.[/quote]
  • GopherGopher Earthforce Officer
    Woot!?!

Can it be true? Has B5 risen phoenix-like from the flames? Will the glory that was intelligent science fiction, that was guttering like a candle almost spent be reinvigorated with fresh fuel. Will after 4 years wandering in the darkness, the hope of all Babylon 5 fans be realised as a beacon in the dark is revealed with the production of new episodes?

Do not jest with us in this. Now waiting anxiously with baited breath, I await further confirmation from the Producers or WB.

So many disappointments, can this fragile, fractured heart take another false dawn?

Faith Manages.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Wow, this is pulling out the lurkers!
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    1/2 hour episodes? oh thats just a tease, come on, you can't tell a good story in 30 minutes (IMHO)
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]1/2 hour episodes? oh thats just a tease, come on, you can't tell a good story in 30 minutes (IMHO) [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, how much time do you think is there in your standard 42-minute TV Episode for the A-Story?
    And since these 30 minute segments will essentially be short stories, i don't think they will have much of a b-story...