Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Damn Printer

My mom has an Epson Stylus C40 Plus Inkjet printer and I can't get this thing to work for the life of me. Drivers are brand new but the load section on the back is gone. It insists that the paper is not loaded correctly and I think at this point its total poop.

Comments

• croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    PRINTER!!!!!!!!!GAHHH YOPU SHAL DIEEEEE!!! )*^&T$)(*&TY$P(W*YGIBHWR*Y)(P(*U
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    croxis will come over and fix it for you.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    1. Epsons are prone to problems in my experience, especially with their print heads.

2. There is probably a sensor button somewhere (perhaps inside a latching hole) that tells the printer whether that component is there, and when it isn't, it refuses to print. You can probably find the button and depress it manually (with a paperclip or tape or similar) and it should work, assuming that component isn't needed.
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    Aim for the dumpster!!!
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    Does anyone else miss the good old days of the HP printers with 45 and 78 cartridges? Man, those things ran like friggin' tanks! I know many people with 700, 800, and 900 series printers that still work.
    My Deskjet 710C recently disintegrated. Literally. The rubber on the drive belts fell off, meaning it no longer had teeth to grip the drive gears with.

I liked that printer. :(
    My parents still use their 875cse. It's had a few issues that have been repairable so far (filled ink bin, feed rollers filled with paper dust, etc). But with some self repairs, they've been able to keep it going.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    My experience with inkjets started and ended with a HP Deskjet 500. I got it right after my electronic typewriter-printer... I skipped the noisy matrix era completely. The Deskjet was quiet, but the pricey cartridges got to me quickly, even after I tried to refill them myself. I used it maybe 2 or 3 years and then I dumped it.

Then I got my first laser printer, I haven't looked back since. It's probably cheaper to get a new inkjet than trying to fix it, unless all it takes is fooling a sensor with a piece of adhesive tape.

It's just a matter of preference I guess, but I like the reliability and functionality of laser printers and the smudge-free & sharp printouts. No toner has dried up on me yet. :D

Color printouts are another matter of course, but laser printers are getting there, slowly.
    Lasers are nice.

I currently have a Canon inkjet though - an iP4000. Excellent printer. Unlike Epson and HP, they don't charge an arm, a leg, and 2 heads for cartridges, and sell those cartridges seperately for each color. They also sell replacement print heads should your's go bad (and they rarely do) that are very easy for a user to replace (remove the print cartridges and move 1 lever). It also has built-in duplexing and 2 (small) trays by default.

In comparison, my experience with recent HP and Epsons has been far from stellar. HP's have been badly price-goudging their inks, and their quality of manufacture has vanished in the last few years. Epsons like to clog up their print heads in ways that aren't cleanable, and they are nicely $100+ to replace ($50 part, $50+ service), and at that point a new printer is cheaper! Then HP likes to charge another glob of money for duplexing on it's inkjets (as an addon), and Epson I don't think even offers it.

5 years ago I'd have recommended HP. HP's printer division is fast dieing. Now I recommend Canon.
  • The Cabl3 GuyThe Cabl3 Guy Elite Ranger
    @ home in LI I use a HP PSC 2715 its not bad gets the job done and has scanner and slot for memory cards for cams. I love it however when I left that printer also went on me. The rest of it functions fine however. Gonna take a look at it when I get back.

Some of you might remember me posting about it a while back i got it on ebay for about $80. It was worth it though got a years use out of it. But yeah I think I will pick up a Canon next especially since I've had alot of luck with Canon stuff recently.
    I agree with the Canon recommendation.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    And there you have it, it's "Biggles approved!" :D

It doesn't get much better than that.
  • AnlaShokAnlaShok Democrat From Hell
    My 970Cse is still running fine.
  • Aha! So I check out my HP trying to fix the sucker. I go through the usual routine check the cartridges, clean the cartridges, swab the contacts, and I try to print and it just doesn't respond. I mean nothing is registering on the printer and its saying no paper loaded well I fiddle with the paper and make sure its in there nice and tight. Try again no luck. I tried every diagnostic the hp tool box provides and give up. I'm about to get up staring at the printer and I notice a small USB plug hanging out the side. DUH!

It would really help if the firmware could ACTUALLY TELL IF THE PRINTER WAS PLUGGED IN!
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Cabl3 Guy [/i]
    [B]It would really help if the firmware could ACTUALLY TELL IF THE PRINTER WAS PLUGGED IN! [/B][/QUOTE]You forgot that if Joe Average Vegetable would get such error getting forward would require own section to those small, already cramped, guide leaflets.

BTW, Now after reinstalling softwares to that F*ck'nd S*ck PC I have to really give thumbs up for Epson Aculaser's drivers/software: There isn't single excessive "includes kitchen sink" software installed, just driver and control panel for changing printing settings. At least HPs install huge amount of scheisse and I would expect Canons do the same.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    One more positive report to canon from my end. I own a pair of them now, a Pixma ip4000 and a Pixma ip6600. the ip6600 was an upgrade from a 9-year old Epson Stylus 900...one which served me perfectly well until it started showing how old it truly was this last year. Alongside the ip6600 is a Laserjet 5MP, a Laserjet 1100, and a Sony UPD-10 Dye Sublimation printer. The 1100 was obsoleted by the 5MP due to its generally poor design low depth, but nasty tendency to double/triple/quad feed sheets of paper and jam while also causing massive curling during cooling due to the 180-degree turn in the paper path after the fuser. the 5MP is really well designed in every way. Toner is cheap, too, but it is just a bit slow. But it works. The UPD-10 is for making borderless 4x6 prints in the absolute best quality with the intention of durability. Also the most expensive of the printers to use due to the nature of dye sublimation.

I'm not going to repeat everything that was said, so just read RC's post.

And that's my post for the day.
  • I had an Epson Styles c60 that started doing a simliar thing. I had to slightly push the paper down as it began the load process for it to grab.

I do have to agree with the Canon recomendation. I have the ip3000 and i have had no problems with it, in addition to the aformentiond relative cheapness of the ink.