Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Need professional advice about computer hardware

C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
Well, it all happened one morning when I turned on my computer. The boot screen said something about the CPU not running att the correct FSB and when I checked it by looking in the bios the FSB was at 100MHz

I got a Athlon 2800+ processor with stock FSB at 166MHz.

I usually got the FSB set at 166MHz with jumpers, but because it booted at 100MHz I tried to set the FSB manually through the bios to 166MHz and something lower. Well, it didn't work. I switched the FSB to 133MHz with jumpers and the computer booted fine with that. Then I tried to set the FSB to 134MHz manualy but then again it booted FSB at 100MHz. I even flashed to the newest bios for my motherboard but didn't help.

I do strongly believe it's the motherbord that is dieing and I need to get a new one. What I would like is to know if someone knew exactly what wrong. I don't need advice that I should buy a new motherboard.

Comments

• Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Re: Need professional advice about computer hardware

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by C_Mon [/i]
    [B]Well, it all happened one morning when I turned on my computer. The boot screen said something about the CPU not running att the correct FSB and when I checked it by looking in the bios the FSB was at 100MHz

I got a Athlon 2800+ processor with stock FSB at 166MHz.

I usually got the FSB set at 166MHz with jumpers, but because it booted at 100MHz I tried to set the FSB manually through the bios to 166MHz and something lower. Well, it didn't work. I switched the FSB to 133MHz with jumpers and the computer booted fine with that. Then I tried to set the FSB to 134MHz manualy but then again it booted FSB at 100MHz. I even flashed to the newest bios for my motherboard but didn't help.

I do strongly believe it's the motherbord that is dieing and I need to get a new one. What I would like is to know if someone knew exactly what wrong. I don't advice that I should buy a new motherboard. [/B][/QUOTE]

try changing your CMOS battery.
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    Your PSU might have have starting going poo poo

(advise above not from a professional)
    let me justify my reply from above, I've only ever run into the bios not holding its clock settings when my CMOS battery has died or is dying.

(advice is from a professional, professional what? i'm not saying)
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    What motherboard is it that's doing this?
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]let me justify my reply from above, I've only ever run into the bios not holding its clock settings when my CMOS battery has died or is dying.

(advice is from a professional, professional what? i'm not saying) [/B][/QUOTE]

Indeed but there's one big exception to this. Unless you unplugged the computer or its a laptop a dead cmos battery will not matter. The batter only kicks when the power supply is offline. You can run a most desktops on a dead CMOS battery with no power up bios failures as long as you never unplug it. Of course once you start getting the problems consistently it tends to be a bad sign of the MB or power supply.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vorlons in my Head [/i]
    [B]Indeed but there's one big exception to this. Unless you unplugged the computer or its a laptop a dead cmos battery will not matter. The batter only kicks when the power supply is offline. You can run a most desktops on a dead CMOS battery with no power up bios failures as long as you never unplug it. Of course once you start getting the problems consistently it tends to be a bad sign of the MB or power supply. [/B][/QUOTE]

If the machine gets shut off at the PS, then the next time it boots if the battery is dead, it's possible it'll blow its mind. mine has several times.

then i kicked it really hard.. now it works fine. go figure.. :)
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Thanks for the advices, I'll try them when I got time.

The motherboard is a ASrock K7S8X.
  • EclecticonautEclecticonaut Elite Ranger
    Aha! ASSRock is the keyword... I believe that the voltage regulator has given out (or some other crucial surface component) and that means you should buy a new piece of hardware. Decent Socket A mobos are just pretty hard to find these days, maybe a used Asus A7N8X-E would solve your little problem?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Eclecticonaut [/i]
    [B]Aha! ASSRock is the keyword... I believe that the voltage regulator has given out (or some other crucial surface component) and that means you should buy a new piece of hardware. Decent Socket A mobos are just pretty hard to find these days, maybe a used Asus A7N8X-E would solve your little problem? [/B][/QUOTE]

i've got an A7N8X-Deluxe personally, i love that board. it's going to be a shame to give it up when i switch to a core 2 duo.
    I'm running an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe myself. Excellent board. I'm eventually upgrading, but I'm still not happy with what's out there in terms of choices. Waiting for all the venders to decide on standards...my slow point right now is my vid card, which I don't want to upgrade since I'd just have to replace it again when I change mobos.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Another A7N8X Deluxe here. Wonderful board. I'm going to miss it. Except that I'm not because I plan on replacing this computer rather than upgrading it, meaning it'll still be around for use.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Another A7N8X Deluxe here. Wonderful board. I'm going to miss it. Except that I'm not because I plan on replacing this computer rather than upgrading it, meaning it'll still be around for use. [/B][/QUOTE]

My wife will prolly get this one when i upgrade, the new Asus Nforce 500 for Intel boards should be out in the next week or 2, and when they are, i want a one of the 590 series boards.
    Thanks for the advices again. I'm probably going to buy a new intel core 2 duo and that stuff, but it's allways fun to know what really is the source when something go wrong in a computer so I know next time something similar happens.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by C_Mon [/i]
    [B]Thanks for the advices again. I'm probably going to buy a new intel core 2 duo and that stuff, but it's allways fun to know what really is the source when something go wrong in a computer so I know next time something similar happens. [/B][/QUOTE]

just remember, when all else fails, and its going to be dead anyway, a good swift kick can work, even if it does not fix the problem it sure does feel good.
    Yep. That's how we get Sanfam working every day!
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Eclecticonaut [/i]
    [B]Aha! ASSRock is the keyword... I believe that the voltage regulator has given out (or some other crucial surface component) and that means you should buy a new piece of hardware. Decent Socket A mobos are just pretty hard to find these days, maybe a used Asus A7N8X-E would solve your little problem? [/B][/QUOTE]

oooh fun...

Replacing failed SMT components...

:)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]just remember, when all else fails, and its going to be dead anyway, a good swift kick can work, even if it does not fix the problem it sure does feel good. [/B][/QUOTE]
    :D That's so true!