Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Its Official: Pluto no longer a planet

croxiscroxis I am the walrus
Pluto is not a planet!

[url]http://www.iau2006.org/mirror/www.iau.org/iau0603/index.html[/url]

A major planet anyways.

[quote] RESOLUTION 5A
The IAU therefore resolves that planets and other bodies in our Solar System be defined into three distinct categories in the following way:

(1) A planet is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and (c) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.

(2) A dwarf planet is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, (c) has not cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit, and (d) is not a satellite. [/quote]

[quote] RESOLUTION 6A
The IAU further resolves:

Pluto is a dwarf planet by the above definition and is recognized as the prototype of a new category of trans-Neptunian objects. [/quote]

Comments

• EclecticonautEclecticonaut Elite Ranger
    Hooray! Let's drink to that! [img]http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/party/beerchug.gif[/img]
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Re: Its Official: Pluto no longer a planet

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Pluto is not a planet!

A major planet anyways. [/B][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i15.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/68/85/9f_1_b.JPG[/IMG]
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    So, what condition does Pluto not fulfill to disqualify as a planet?

I can't believe they are doing this, all the books about our solar system have to be rewritten.

That's like having to reprint your business cards because the phone company changed the area code on you, again. :mad:
    [IMG]http://www.fantasiescometrue.com/PINS/PINSIMAGES/sadplutopinz.jpg[/IMG]
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Stingray [/i]
    [B]So, what condition does Pluto not fulfill to disqualify as a planet?

I can't believe they are doing this, all the books about our solar system have to be rewritten.

That's like having to reprint your business cards because the phone company changed the area code on you, again. :mad: [/B][/QUOTE]

[quote]
    (2) A dwarf planet is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, [b](c) has not cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit, and (d) is not a satellite.[/b][/quote]

C and D

The definition of a planet needs to be updated (even though it is arbitrary and kind of pointless). Witht he discovery of more and more KBO and the 200ish extrasolar objects our current definition of a planet begins to fail. Even if the status quo was maintained we would have 10 planets as "Xena" is larger than pluto.

And the whole textbook argument is just bullshit. Science is ever growing and ever changing, especally with major new discovories. What about the textbooks saying there have been no planets discovered outside the solar system? Those had to be changed. What about text books that described DNA as a macromolicule with three spines? They had to be be rewrited.

Complaining about rewriting textbooks follows the same line of thought that religious texts are the word of god(s) and are universally true for all time.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]And the whole textbook argument is just bullshit. Science is ever growing and ever changing, especally with major new discovories. What about the textbooks saying there have been no planets discovered outside the solar system? Those had to be changed. What about text books that described DNA as a macromolicule with three spines? They had to be be rewrited.

Complaining about rewriting textbooks follows the same line of thought that religious texts are the word of god(s) and are universally true for all time. [/B][/QUOTE]

No, no, you are misunderstanding, I know books need to be updated, it's just that all the broke students need to buy new astronomy books again because publishers would have to re-edited them, since those books do cost an arm and a leg, like all specialized books. Don't know if scratching Pluto from the planet list has that many repercussions though. :D
    Still, i've heard a couple people making that argument seriously (I then asked them to name all the planets, and they couldn't). Specialized books do need regular updates, it sucks but thats what research does.

Basic physics and chemistry hasn't changed much in the past 100 years. Making a new edition every other year just pisses me off. I know publishers are trying to make money but its seriously pissing me off. My boyfriend spent over $400 on textbooks for this upcoming shcool year, and that is just for one term, he is going to have to get a couple more for the next one.
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    I am curious what happens with astrology? All Scorpios are planetless now. Aries kicked them off mars; now they are on a dwarf??? The list for transcendental Planets just got shorter. This is going to cause chaos in evreyones charts!!!!! THE END IS NEAR.. smoke them if you got them!!!!
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    Pluto never gets any respect. This explains a lot. No wonder those lucky numbers the astrologers give out never win me the lottery. They've had the planets wrong all this time!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [url]http://www.worth1000.com/cache/gallery/contestcache.asp?contest_id=11570&display=photoshop[/url]
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    According to this BBC article, the vote to remove Pluto was cast during a rebellion by a small number of scientists who stayed a day longer than the majority of the body, just to cast the vote with few opponents left to challenge them.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [B]So, what condition does Pluto not fulfill to disqualify as a planet?

That's like having to reprint your business cards because the phone company changed the area code on you, again. :mad: [/B][/QUOTE]

The books would have had to be re-written anyway, the result of this conference would have been either

A) Pluto no longer a planet, and we have 8 planets

or B) Pluto is a planet, as is Charon, Xena and any other "pluton" that they find, meaning that all the texts would have to be re-written for 12 planets now, and re-written every time they discovered a new kuiper belt object that they decided to call a planet (which could end up being in the hundreds or thousands)
    Oh, I'm fine with the decision... it's just that I hope they'll stop now, because soon they'll say Mercury is too small and then Mars and next thing you know, the Earth isn't really a planet either.... and then POOFF!!! :D
    By definition the earth wouln't be a planet in 3 billion years anyway. Also size isn't the deciding criteria that bumped pluto out.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Woohoo! Ive been waiting for this for so long! :D

I love it when your entire idea of the world gets twisted, and it feels good for a change.. ;)
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    So now we teach "My very educated mother just served us nothing"?
    Now we teach: "We have redefined the definition of a planet".
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by bobo [/i]
    [B]So now we teach "My very educated mother just served us nothing"? [/B][/QUOTE]

The planets were something that i never needed a Mnemonic to remember,

animal classification however, "King Paul Came Over For Georges Sword" (kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species) that one helped me out on many a test in Highschool.
    [URL=http://www.worth1000.com/cache/gallery/contestcache.asp?contest_id=11570&display=photoshop]Worth1000 Link[/URL]
    Look 9 posts up, Jack. :)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I don't think it was unintended repetition as much as a sly attempt to sneak us back onto topic ;)
    oops... my apologies... ;)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]I don't think it was unintended repetition as much as a sly attempt to sneak us back onto topic ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

What is this "on topic" thing you speak of?
    Blasphemy is what it is!
    It ain't over till it's over...

[URL=http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=scienceNews&storyid=2006-09-01T205625Z_01_N01426992_RTRUKOC_0_US-SPACE-PLUTO.xml&src=rss]more ...[/URL]
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]It ain't over till it's over...

[URL=http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=scienceNews&storyid=2006-09-01T205625Z_01_N01426992_RTRUKOC_0_US-SPACE-PLUTO.xml&src=rss]more ...[/URL] [/B][/QUOTE]

What I find surprizing is that the decision to strip Pluto of its title was done by vote.

That's like if the mathematical society would be voting about the zero being a true number or not. As the French say, let's call a cat, a cat.

What kind of scientific community is this astronomical society anyway? If they can't even agree upon what a planet is, then what are they talking about?

How about voting the astronomers out of the scientific community... all they do anyway is making things up. :D

This whole matter is becoming quite ridiculous.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Well, you can argue it to the ends of the earth and never reach a conclusion, so a vote seems perfectly reasonable.
    [i]"I'd like to see philosophers, writers and policymakers weigh in on this before we start rewriting textbooks," said Mark Bullock, also of the Southwest Research Institute.[/i]

What the hell do these people have to do with the development of a classification system for a scientific field? Once again the text book argumentis beingshouted by people who just need to get overthemselves. When writers, philosophers, and policymakers contribute to the scientific process by money or other forms of support.

I wonder if this much hubbub was made for the classification system developed for species in biology.
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    [B]What I find surprizing is that the decision to strip Pluto of its title was done by vote.

That's like if the mathematical society would be voting about the zero being a true number or not. As the French say, let's call a cat, a cat.

What kind of scientific community is this astronomical society anyway? If they can't even agree upon what a planet is, then what are they talking about?

How about voting the astronomers out of the scientific community... all they do anyway is making things up. :D

This whole matter is becoming quite ridiculous. [/B][/QUOTE]

You know, there's been too much fuss over this. Nothing has changed. Pluto has not spontaneously combusted. Its existance is not being questioned. Its still the same lump of ice orbiting the sun. All thats being argued are semantics. We can call it whatever the hell we want, its still the same thing. Bah, they should consider everything round orbiting the sun a planet. Make those kids in school memorize all thousands of them :P
    What Vorlons in my Head said. :)

[B]What I find surprizing is that the decision to strip Pluto of its title was done by vote.

This whole matter is becoming quite ridiculous. [/B][/QUOTE]

It was done by a vote because it is nothing more than a name, a category, a semantic. Scientifically, Pluto is exactly the same thing as before. All they were voting on was the terminology to use to describe it and other, similar bodies of matter. A proper vote is therefore a very reasonable way to do it since people will never be able to agree otherwise.