Issues with your account? Bug us in the chatroom at http://webchat.freenode.net?channels=#firstones

A Universal Truth

StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
People like to trash things they don't know anything about.

As an example the comments made about B5 after an article called "Babylon 5 Returns!!" was posted on "Ain't it Cool News."

[URL=http://www.aintitcool.com/tb_display.cgi?id=23963#1229733]Babylon 5 Returns!! (comments)[/URL]

The feedback covers more or less the entire spectrum of stupidity.

As far as I can tell, most bashers only watched a couple episodes to base their opinion on.

While it's true that there are a few episodes that we could have done without, I've watched the show several times already and it never ceases to amaze me how much stuff JMS was able to cram in and that I still connect new dots every time I watch it.

Anyway, the bashing makes for a few moments of entertaining reading. :D

"Babylon 5 is a pile of $hit!"

"Yeah but it scored $500 million in DVD sales..."

I haven't followed the entire Star Trek saga either, they keep praising DS9, I only watched like the first 3 seasons and then I stopped. I watched one season of Voyager and then I stopped. I gave Enterprise a try, but stopped after 3 seasons... I don't go around bashing the shows, because I really don't know them that well. Maybe those that bash B5 should actually take the time and watch it from start to finish. ;)

Comments

  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    [QUOTE]"They are a dying people, we should let them pass."[/QUOTE]

    Worf
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Re: A Universal Truth

    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Stingray [/i]
    [B]I haven't followed the entire Star Trek saga either, they keep praising DS9,[/b][/quote]

    Deservedly so. DS9 is the black sheep of the Star Trek series. It gets very good with a strong plot not long after you stopped watching. Not as strong as B5's, and there were still way too many random unconnected episodes for my liking, but it is well worth watching. Not just for the story arc, either, quite a few of the individual episodes are great in themselves. The baseball one, for example. It's such a pity it never got an 8th season to clean up properly.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Re: Re: A Universal Truth

    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Deservedly so. DS9 is the black sheep of the Star Trek series. It gets very good with a strong plot not long after you stopped watching. Not as strong as B5's, and there were still way too many random unconnected episodes for my liking, but it is well worth watching. Not just for the story arc, either, quite a few of the individual episodes are great in themselves. The baseball one, for example. It's such a pity it never got an 8th season to clean up properly. [/B][/QUOTE]

    Ahhh, the Baseball Ep was one of my favorites, i fell that DS9 was the best of the new startrek shows, hands down, not just for the reasons you mentioned, but also because it had a fairly strong cast, In season 1, i didnt care for Avery Brooks style as Sisko, but boy, as the seasons went along, and things got darker and darker, i really liked the way he developed.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Same here. His role really filled out amazingly as time went by.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    Uh oh. "Babylon GAY"? Man, that really hurts. I'm going to go crawl in a corner and cry now. Reminds me of the old days at the WB board when we had Troll seasons.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Re: Re: A Universal Truth

    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Deservedly so. DS9 is the black sheep of the Star Trek series. It gets very good with a strong plot not long after you stopped watching. Not as strong as B5's, and there were still way too many random unconnected episodes for my liking, but it is well worth watching. Not just for the story arc, either, quite a few of the individual episodes are great in themselves. The baseball one, for example. It's such a pity it never got an 8th season to clean up properly. [/B][/QUOTE]

    I only own the ST movies on DVD. I'm not ready to pay an arm and a leg to get all TV shows on DVD too.

    I heard many good things about DS9 and my favourite character from what I've seen of the show has been Garak the Kardassian tailor/spy. Andrew Robinson plays him so well. :D IMHO Garak was sort of the G'Kar of DS9. There was no Londo equivalent on DS9 AFAIK.

    (The DS9 S1-7 boxset still sells for over £315, £338 at Amazon and Play resp., which is a wee bit too much for me.)
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I think quark would be the londoesk type, then again we are kinda dealing with archtypes here
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]I think quark would be the londoesk type, then again we are kinda dealing with archtypes here [/B][/QUOTE]

    Now that you mention Quark, you are probably right. ;)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Re: Re: Re: A Universal Truth

    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Stingray [/i]
    [B](The DS9 S1-7 boxset still sells for over £315, £338 at Amazon and Play resp., which is a wee bit too much for me.) [/B][/QUOTE]

    i got one word for you: ebay! i got the entire series for about £100. Ok they're chinese imports, but they work, and they're in english. you just have to turn off the chinese subtitles and you'd never know they werent the uk release
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Oh, these characters of DS9 are pretty much copied from Babylon 5:

    Kira Nerys = G'kar
    Gul Dukat = Londo
    Benjamin Sisko = Sinclair/Sheridan
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Re: Re: Re: Re: A Universal Truth

    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowDancer [/i]
    [B]i got one word for you: ebay! i got the entire series for about £100. Ok they're chinese imports, but they work, and they're in english. you just have to turn off the chinese subtitles and you'd never know they werent the uk release [/B][/QUOTE]

    The price would be right, but I'm not too hot about ebay. If it's not sold by a real store, I don't want to take any chances. So far I've been lucky, but I've heard and read quite a few horror stories about scams that you can become a victim of.

    I don't mind buying Chinese, but I have my doubts on movies and video games.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Those "chinese imports" are almost certainly pirated.

    You don't have to buy it. Most video rental places rent star trek DVDs. If you're in the states, you could use netflix. In the UK, Amazon has an (apparently) even better version of netflix. NZ and Australia also have their equivalents.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Those "chinese imports" are almost certainly pirated.

    You don't have to buy it. Most video rental places rent star trek DVDs. If you're in the states, you could use netflix. In the UK, Amazon has an (apparently) even better version of netflix. NZ and Australia also have their equivalents. [/B][/QUOTE]

    Not sure how those rental places work w.r.t. season box sets, I can't just suspend my life to watch each season in a single session. :D

    Anyway I'll keep an eye on the box sets, perhaps they'll be on sale and I can get them cheaper.

    I was hoping with Blue-Ray they'd be able to sell each season on a single disk... but I guess we are not quite there yet.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Recently, TNG was rereleased here in the UK in more traditional cardboard cases so they're much cheaper £27 (on Amazon.co.uk) per season instead of £80-90 like the old sets. It wouldn't surprise me if they do the same with DS9 soon.

    But you should also keep an eye on Amazon, I was able to acquire all seasons of DS9 for £35-40 per season over the last few months.

    Worf
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Stingray [/i]
    [B]Not sure how those rental places work w.r.t. season box sets, I can't just suspend my life to watch each season in a single session. :D

    Anyway I'll keep an eye on the box sets, perhaps they'll be on sale and I can get them cheaper.

    I was hoping with Blue-Ray they'd be able to sell each season on a single disk... but I guess we are not quite there yet. [/B][/QUOTE]

    is there a netflix like service you can subscribe to? thats how i got DS9 on DVD, just rented it disc by disc,

    B5 i found at Sams club for a decent price (i think i paid $30/season) but i only got seasons 1-3 before they sold out...


    As to DS9 being stolen from B5, yeah, a lot of it may be, but it is still one of the most enjoyable trek shows IMHO.

    heh, that reminds, me, DS9 was what we were watching in the hospital as my daughter was about to be born. i can even tell you what episode (not one of the best ones) .
  • ....

    ZOG.
  • [quote]Yeah, at least Voyager had some hot chicks... What the hell is the point of sci-fi if you don't have hotties in spandex?!?[/quote]Pretty much sums it up.

    >.<
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Men were given a brain and a penis, but only enough blood to use one at a time...

    No wonder the franchise went into a tail spin with so many women running around in Spandex suits... :D there wasn't enough blood left to pollish the writing... ;)

    I suppose that's what they mean when they talk about getting fresh blood to revitalize a franchise. :D
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Stingray [/i]
    [B]Men were given a brain and a penis, but only enough blood to use one at a time...

    No wonder the franchise went into a tail spin with so many women running around in Spandex suits... :D there wasn't enough blood left to pollish the writing... ;)

    I suppose that's what they mean when they talk about getting fresh blood to revitalize a franchise. :D [/B][/QUOTE] :5hamster:
Sign In or Register to comment.