Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Future Human-Minbari conflict?

Just wondering about this. This is a little vague, but i remember a character, perhaps one of the Old Ones (Lorien??) who comments about the current and future Human-Minbari relations. Saying something along the lines of "they will remain friends, for now".

If there was another Human-Minbari conflict, then i'd imagine Humans would be in a much better position to inflict damage. Whilst they aren't as advanced nor powerful as the Minbari, i understand that Humans are second behind the Minbari in terms of power. Plus they've advanced a little since the days of the Earth-Minbari. They have the 'Warlock' class vessel, which is meant to be able to stand against the Sharlin Warcruiser. Also the developement of the Thunderbolt Star Fury, whilst nothing matches the Niall Minbari fighter, i believe the Thunderbolt probably bridges the gap a little.

Also the Minbari aren't shown to have advanced technologically that much in their 1000 years as a spacefaring race. But Humans seem to acquire and develope technology quicker after the
Earth-Minbari war.

How do Humans measure up against the Minbari in hand-to-hand combat? I know the Minbari are meant to have higher stamina and be able to withstand more damage, but could Humans match them with say genetic manipulation?

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    The Minbari, now knowing what Dukhat and Delenn knew, would never start a war on humanity. But regardless, humanity would be owned again by the Minbari. They might do some damage, but they'd still lose fairly definitely.
  • Although Earth would've had a chance to study the Minbari more closely, and perhaps have counter measures to their stealth jamming. The disadvantage of the war is that they didn't know what they were up against.

I definitely remember a quote about how they would remain cordial for the time being, as if to imply there may be some conflict in the future.

Still their fighters are second to none, as for the Thunderbolts, never been tried.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    The minbari beam weapons are far superior to any of the Earth Alliance technologies. Keep in mind that the Victory Class is *not* an earth design, it's an evolution of the whitestar's heritage. the Warlock is the best case we have for a modern Earth ship. Possibly the Valen.

We also know a fair bit about the future of the B5 universe. Nothing did happen beyond what we saw in Deconstruction, but that was simply one component of the galaxy turning in on itself, involving none of the minbariness.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Here's a thought, what if eons beyond the time of B5, maybe even eons beyond the time shown in Deconstruction, Humanity and Minbari had become the opposing forces in the Galaxy, similar to the Vorlons and the Shadows? The whole of the storyline seemed to imply that it was the humans and the Minbari that would shape the future. Humans definitely tend to lean toward the more chaotic, while Minbari are more ordered.

This would also mean the technology would be of little conequence, since both would have evolved so far that the difference would be very minimal.

Jake
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    In that case, if you watch deconstruction, you can see that humans have evolved into energy beings, and considering the minbari warrior caste is fully a third of the minbari civilization, I would think that it would be the other side around..
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    jms has said both achieve firstones status, however I can't remember if they merge into one species or not.
  • It would make an amazing story.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]jms has said both achieve firstones status, however I can't remember if they merge into one species or not. [/B][/QUOTE]

Wouldnt it be Secondones? since you can't have firstones coming after the firstones, or else they would have been firstones.

Did i just make myself as clear as mud?
  • Watch Deconstruction again and right at the end when the ship is leaving for New Earth, it has the Rangers crest or logo on the side. Whether or not the two silhouettes still represented Humans and Minbari, I really can’t say. Especially since they allowed other races to join the Rangers later on. So while there may or may not have been a conflict between Humans and Minbari after the story of B5, we can safely assume the Rangers survived any such conflict.

Also, I’m not too sure where you heard that remark about the two races being “friends for now”, but I’d wager they could be referring to that other scene in Deconstruction where Earth had become isolationistic and there was an anti-alien or pro-earth faction ready to launch missiles rather than work within the bounds of the ISA. And we also saw that there was a time when Earth was recovering from some “Great Burn” and they had to rebuild with only scant knowledge of their past amongst the stars.

Just because they may not have been friends doesnt automatically make them enimies.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadoStarr [/i]
    [B]Just because they may not have been friends doesnt automatically make them enimies. [/B][/QUOTE]

Very true.

And technically it would of course be secondones Enthil'zha. :p
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Yeah that was my point, they can attain the spiritual/technological level of the first ones, but they can't be Firstones becase the first ones were just that, The FIRST ones. anything that comes after, can't be first.

i know, semantics.. but still.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Given that Humans eventually start wearing encounter suits, much like the Vorlons did got me thinking. Do you think its possible that one of the reasons the Vorlons might have been so secretive might be that they had a 'Great Burn' of their own and so were concealing that from the other races? We know that while the inhabitants of Earth were thrown back into the dark ages, the Rangers (and presumably the ISA) were unaffected, and might be concealing the fact that the homeworld was in ruins, further cultivating the mystique
  • Yeah, it does make you wonder. Why wear encounter suits? The Vorlons wore them as part of their mystery, to make everyone think they're so great and all that. So if the younger races were supposed to have learned from the mistake of the Vorlons and Shadows, why repeat it?
    Cuz its just that damn cozy!
    I always thought they wore encounter suits so as not to appear as angels/saviours to the younger races, confusing the heck out of them.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The Vorlons wore encounter suits because without them, they'd be immediatly recognised by all the younger races. This was even stated directly in the show.
  • The only reason they look like holy beings is because they manipulated the makeup of the Younger Races to make them THINK that they are holy beings. Normally they would look like those jellyfish forms. It's all just part of their manipulation.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    That's why they didn't want to be recognised. Being recognised would have meant the younger races would have realised the Vorlons had been manipulating them for millenia.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    no i know that they'd have been recognised without the encounter suits. all im suggesting is that there was more to the secrecy than wanting to make an impact when they do reveal themselves
    Ohm I dont think they actually want to make an impact. Its more that they like working in the ... erm ... shadows.

They dont want you to know that they are affecting your thinking, steering you their way. Like an overprotective, manipulative parent..
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    You know what, it has been many moons since we've had a good solid Babylon 5 discussion, nice to get some new blood once in a while.

Jake
  • In terms of why Energy Humans would wear encounter suits I would say it may just be nostalgic, like a throwback to when they had coporeal bodies. But in Deconstruction we also saw that he was able to take Human form to operate the computer. So why have nostalgic suits when you could just take Human form whenever you're missing your old body?

It could also be a result of the manipulation of the Vorlons in the past, how they were viewed as gods so of course when Humans get to that level they emulated what came before.

Which I suppose solidifies their status as Secondones.
  • Just signed up. Took me forever to figure out the code thingy. Eyes must be too old!

Anyway, it's been a long time since I saw deconstruction but I think he wore the encounter suit to kind of show that he was playing god just like the Vorlons did. They looked after humanity after the burn. Had rangers infiltrated into Earth's society. Taught what the rangers did, Sheriden and Delenn as a religion to show that they were the good guys. It's not a far stretch to think they came down in light form to manipulate society. Anyway, sounds a lot like the Vorlons. Him going into the encounter suit at the end just pushes the point home. Anyway, just a guess.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by byrong [/i]
    [B]Just signed up. Took me forever to figure out the code thingy. Eyes must be too old!

Anyway, it's been a long time since I saw deconstruction but I think he wore the encounter suit to kind of show that he was playing god just like the Vorlons did. They looked after humanity after the burn. Had rangers infiltrated into Earth's society. Taught what the rangers did, Sheriden and Delenn as a religion to show that they were the good guys. It's not a far stretch to think they came down in light form to manipulate society. Anyway, sounds a lot like the Vorlons. Him going into the encounter suit at the end just pushes the point home. Anyway, just a guess. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hmm, great guess but I believe the great burn happened only 500 to 1000 years after B5 if memory serves me. Its highly unlikely any of the younger races could have evolved within that small a time frame. Also the guy in the encounter suit at the end was from a million years later.
  • I am the very model of a modern Major-General
    I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral
    I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
    From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical

I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
    I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
    About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news,
    With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.....
  • MungrelMungrel Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE=ShadoStarr;150009]In terms of why Energy Humans would wear encounter suits [/QUOTE]

It could be that it takes [B]alot[/B] of energy to maintain a certain form, like Kosh stated in 'The Fall of Night'. Maybe encounter suits for protection as well.

As for future Earth - Minbari relations, think about this. Human DNA + Minbari DNA + Time = Potential first-one status.

Old topic i know, but very interesting :D
    Necrophile!
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    He went into the encounter suit because that's where all his video games are.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE=ShadoStarr;150018]Hmm, great guess but I believe the great burn happened only 500 to 1000 years after B5 if memory serves me.[/QUOTE]

I still laugh at the fact that it was the recreated simulation of Garibaldi that was at fault that caused the Great Burn to occur...

That was a great episode!

:D
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE=Anti-Matter;149860]... Plus they've advanced a little since the days of the Earth-Minbari. They have the 'Warlock' class vessel, which is meant to be able to stand against the Sharlin Warcruiser. ...[/QUOTE]

Some of us know a little secret about the Warlock class from a JMS short Story concerning Ivanova.

:)