Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

River of Souls question...

I just got finished watching the entire B5 series again, in order, including all 4 movies (not counting the 5th - "ACTA", as I will watch that when I get the "Crusade" box set) - been watching them the past few months.

Although there were a lot of errors, inconsistencies, blotches, etc etc... This latest thing that caught my eye from "River of Souls" has had me pondering, and I just can't let it go.

In one scene, Capt. Lochley takes a thermal grenade out of one of Zack's security team's, belt pack and throws it down the hall to blow up the impromptu 'holo-brothel'.

So I just gotta ask.... Why the HELL is there a Babylon 5 station security guard, walking around with a thermal grenade on his belt? I mean, I can understand the standard sidearm PPG, and perhaps a backup (as we know Garabaldi always kept).... but a GRENADE?

Did this become standard issue? If so, when? I mean... given all the times that a security guard was slain in order for the perpertrator to escape or to acquire a weapon or link.... Is a grenade really something you would want to fall into a the hands of a dangerous and possibly unstable madman?

Or did that one grenade just 'happen' to be there, in the right place, a the right time... for the sake of the plot?

I really can't recall any other instance at all where a B5 security guard had a grenade... or ANYONE on the station, for that matter, had or used a grenade.... tho, perhaps, my memory fails me.

Comments

• Yeah, I've half wondered that myself. Probably because they were on a 'raid', rather than a standard patrol.
  • Indeed. However, I would have thought that as a CONTAINED SPACE STATION, they would not keep an inventory of grenades (or other explosive man-portable weapons, not counting bombs/missiles/mines etc, for their ships) AT ALL.

In a situation where damage to the other the outer structure could cause a breach, it just isn't a viable option. That's the exact reason why Earthforce personell switched to PPG's rather than solid-projectile weapons. (While PPG's are devestating to organic material, they are relatively harmless to the hull / structure)