Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

PAL to NTSC Television

TycoTyco RangerTexas
I have a PAL DVD, and a player that can play it... only problem is that my Television cannot properly display PAL signal. Any piece of hardware I can install between the set up to allow proper display of a PAL program?

Comments

• MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    A PAL Tv..

Get rid of your rubbish NTSC stuff.. :p
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    I would...

But I live in America :( If I asked the kid at wal-mart for a PAL tv, He'd look something like this : :confused:
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Google with the words PAL NTSC converter.

You should be able to find something you can use. :)
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    Have since last night... 90% are software converters for PC Burning . Will continue the search.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Order a TV from overseas. :p Every TV sold here in the last 10 years or so supports both the superior PAL and the inferior NTSC, simply for convenience.

I'm surprised your DVD player can't convert the signal to NTSC.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    My DVD player is Region 1. The DVD is a Region 2. I'm using Action Replay for my PS2 in order to watch the DVD. It plays it, but in black and white and it flickers... a typical problem playing PAL videos on a NTSC television.
  • Mr_BesterMr_Bester Earthforce Officer St Louis MO
    Check your dvd player on dvdrhelp.com in the hacks section. Many dvd players have region hacks and several can convert pal-ntsc or ntsc-pal without a problem. I just got a phillips(iirc) to play the Flash Gordon Anniversary disc the UKers got last year.
    Dug

edit, usually the hack is just some combination of remote codes
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    That'd be a negative as well. The player isn't the problem, it's the 50mhz vs. 60 mhz signal, unless somehow one of those hacks converts the signal. The site had one hack listed for my DVD player, philips 750VR, but it didnt work.
    You said you were using your PS2 to play it currently. PS2s are incapable of converting the signal (I know this from experience). Your DVD player might be able to. So you just need to find a region-free hack for it.

Sometimes living in NZ has its advantages: region coding is illegal here (it's considered anticompetitive), so every DVD player you buy comes with a little slip of paper shoved in the box telling you how to change the region code as many times as you like. :D

Anyway, here are a few converters. They seem to be quite expensive.
    [url]http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=pal%20ntsc%20hardware%20converter&hl=en&ie=UTF-8[/url]
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyco [/i]
    [B]... it's the 50mhz vs. 60 mhz signal...[/B][/QUOTE]

There's your problem...

:p

Mhz ???
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]There's your problem...

:p

Mhz ??? [/B][/QUOTE]

Haha, hertz.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    Maybe I'm confusing PAL vs NTSC with region coding? I'm reading mixed answers with my question and with what I've previously found on the internet.
    T
    he PS2 is playing the movie perfectly (using DVD Region X, barring the Black and White and Flickering, which is apparently a common issue with playing PAL DVDs on NTSC televisions, even on multi-region DVD players)

My DVD player cannot even attempt to play it, it's only able to play Region 1 DVDs. I tried the various hacks I found, with no luck. I'm not interested in buying a new DVD player yet, mine's prefectly fine other than this one dilema. Same with the television. Talking to Radio Shack, they know of the hardware needed to solve my problem, and the guy's very familar with the situation, but it's unknown where to get this piece of hardware.

-feels like a complete idiot at this point, muaha-
    The B&W flickering from the PS2 output is because the PS2 is outputting a PAL signal, which your TV can't understand. The DVD player is not playing it because of region coding. If you can get your DVD player to accept the region, then it may convert the PAL signal to NTSC for the TV.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    NOW we're talking my language.

Only problem is I don't want a new DVD player, I like mine :(

Oh well, the search continues.

Thanks for all the help thus far everyone! And more is appreciated :)

P.S.- I guess these are the woes of living in the U.S, haha...
    These are the woes of the content producers having so much power over the electronics makers.

Another alternative is to rip the DVD to your computer, reencode it as an NTSC DVD, burn that, and watch it.
    [B]That'd be a negative as well. The player isn't the problem, it's the 50mhz vs. 60 mhz signal, unless somehow one of those hacks converts the signal. The site had one hack listed for my DVD player, philips 750VR, but it didnt work. [/B][/QUOTE]

Many of the dvd players do convert frequency also. i know the one I have does. Usually if there is a pal and an ntsc version of the same player, they aren't going to take the ability out of a player just to sell it in the US
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]These are the woes of the content producers having so much power over the electronics makers.

Another alternative is to rip the DVD to your computer, reencode it as an NTSC DVD, burn that, and watch it. [/B][/QUOTE]

I was just going to suggest that, If you've got a DVD burner in your computer, just get DVD Shrink. and copy it to a blank DVD, you can remove the region coding, and/or convert it from PAL to NTSC.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]I was just going to suggest that, If you've got a DVD burner in your computer, just get DVD Shrink. and copy it to a blank DVD, you can remove the region coding, and/or convert it from PAL to NTSC. [/B][/QUOTE]
    I haven't gotten DVD shrink to do the conversion, I had to use tmpgenc. Then I had to convert the sound from 25 fps to 29.97fps. There are howto's out there, but it's a pain in the butt. I'll have to give dvdshrink a try.
    I use dvdshrink for all my 'ahem' backups, i've never had a problem with it, however, while it will remove region coding, i think you need another piece of software to convert from pal to NTSC, i've done it before on DVD's my sister in law has sent from the UK, but i can't rmemeber what i used, it might have been tmpg,

Prolly rip with DVDshrink, convert the VOB's, then burn back to DVD.

Most of the 'how to's that i've found out there, require a pHD to follow.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    My DVD-ROM/Burner only allows 4 region code changes... I want to do that as a very last resort.
    Have you checked for hacks to your dvd-rom player? Mine also used to only allow 4 recodes..
    Would something like [URL=http://cgi.ebay.com/TV-AV-Video-System-PAL-NTSC-Converter-Adapter-Booster_W0QQitemZ150061494826QQihZ005QQcategoryZ73390QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]this[/URL] do the trick?
    [B]My DVD-ROM/Burner only allows 4 region code changes... I want to do that as a very last resort. [/B][/QUOTE]

With dvdshrink or dvddecrypter, I don't think you need to mess with your dvd drive in your computer. The software takes care of region-freeing the disk to your HD.
    Dug
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    DVD Shrink asks me to change the region code of my DVD burner. Will look into the other program.
    [B]DVD Shrink asks me to change the region code of my DVD burner. Will look into the other program. [/B][/QUOTE]

DVDshrink shouldnt ask you to change the region code of the burner, it should ask you if you want to strip the RCE coding from the Disc...

Unless your burner is Region 2 or something
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    It asked, and I was floored, since everything I've read says contrary.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Messiah [/i]
    [B]Would something like [URL=http://cgi.ebay.com/TV-AV-Video-System-PAL-NTSC-Converter-Adapter-Booster_W0QQitemZ150061494826QQihZ005QQcategoryZ73390QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]this[/URL] do the trick? [/B][/QUOTE]

That might do it! Although, my PS2 is NTSC... but I guess it's sending a PAL signal. Would a PAL output cable be different than standard NTSC. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
    See if you can find a copy of DVD Decrypter somewhere. You can rip it with that and burn it straight back again minus the region coding, and I know that ignores region coding because one of my drives is RPC-2 and it happily rips any region disc on it.

To actually convert from PAL to NTSC you will need an MPEG2 encoder such as TMpegEnc. Unfortunately there are no free encoders available for Windows due to patent and licensing issues. There are some for linux, though. If you have a linux machine handy, get a copy of [url=http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page]tovid[/url] and use that. It's so simple to use, literally one command.