Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Fox News 'fair and balanced' case.

JamboJambo Scriptkiddie
Fox News, Murdoch's widely watched news network is suing author Al Franklin over the subtitle of his book, which uses the phrase 'fair and balanced', which Fox have copyrighted as their own.

This is the network amongst other things that used the phrase 'cheese eating surrender monkeys' on air to describe the french.

Amusingly, though, Franklin can now countersue, on the grounds that they've no right to such a moniker given that they are not remotely fair and balanced. Fox would then have to either go to the stand to argue their case, which would be practically unwinnable, or to claim that the phrase is used menditiously and is not in fact true.

[url]http://www.fairandbalanced.org/docs/StoryID505.htm[/url]

Comments

• shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    Id love to see em get shafted...:) (Murdoch et al)
  • Re: Fox News 'fair and balanced' case.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Jambo [/i]
    [B]Fox News, Murdoch's widely watched news network is suing author Al Franklin over the subtitle of his book, which uses the phrase 'fair and balanced', which Fox have copyrighted as their own.

This is the network amongst other things that used the phrase 'cheese eating surrender monkeys' on air to describe the french.

Amusingly, though, Franklin can now countersue, on the grounds that they've no right to such a moniker given that they are not remotely fair and balanced. Fox would then have to either go to the stand to argue their case, which would be practically unwinnable, or to claim that the phrase is used menditiously and is not in fact true.

[url]http://www.fairandbalanced.org/docs/StoryID505.htm[/url] [/B][/QUOTE]

cheese eating surrender monkeys! Thats GREAT! goto remember that one. (I know exactly who said that too, and I also imagion it was said jokingly only once, remember, the news reporters are NOT scripted, meaning it isn't the network, but rather the reporter, that said that)
  • They probably have countless disclaimers up about the views of their employees not reflecting their views. The media today thrives on controversy, even if they have to make a little themselves. For once it's just right-wing instead of left-wing.

Please, unless some reporter said "And in other news, I would like to officially declare that all French nationals are cheese eating surrender monkies. That is all," then lay off. If some reporter called Bush a moron on your favorite network you wouldn't complain.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    They copyrighted a phrase?
    [url=http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/19/opinion/19NEWM.html?ex=1061870400&en=5ba8b495078f942d&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE]Interesting perspective. :)[/url]
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Re: Re: Fox News 'fair and balanced' case.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]cheese eating surrender monkeys! Thats GREAT! goto remember that one. (I know exactly who said that too, and I also imagion it was said jokingly only once, remember, the news reporters are NOT scripted, meaning it isn't the network, but rather the reporter, that said that) [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually I thought that phrase was originially from the Simpsons. No matter where it came from, my wife thought it was really funny and has taken to calling our Basset Hound a cheese eating surrender monkey. (Bassets were originally breed in France).

Jake
  • JamboJambo Scriptkiddie
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo_1 [/i]
    [B]If some reporter called Bush a moron on your favorite network you wouldn't complain. [/B][/QUOTE]

Can't argue with fact though! :D
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    The phrase was on simpsons first.

think wille said it.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Actually Franken could also argue that the title is satire. Depending on the context, satire is considered protected speech.
    And since I hardly believe Al has any intention of being "Fair and Balanced" when it comes to talking about Republicans, I'm sure its supposed to be satire. Remember this is from the guy who wrote a book called [i]Rush Limbaugh is a Big, Fat, Idiot[/i], and while it may be true, it’s hardly unbiased.

That said I watch Fox and I think Al Franken is funny, but in the end I don't believe either one is completely Fair and Unbiased.

BTW, you know who I think the funniest political comedian is? Louis Black. He's hilarious, but he always looks like he's on the verge of a stroke.

Jake
  • Captain,SimmondsCaptain,Simmonds Trainee trainee
    This is SAD VERY SAD
  • Well, it's a more mundane legal tangle than certain other news agencies have found themselves involved in - [i]a la[/i] the BBC - but it has the benefit of being highly amusing.

I hope Fox get what they deserve...
  • mambo_mordenmambo_morden Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Freejack [/i]
    [B]BTW, you know who I think the funniest political comedian is? Louis Black. [/B][/QUOTE]

It's hard to top his rants of PS2 games or Starbucks and the end of the world.....

It's almost the sole reason for me to watch the Daily Show!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mr_Bungle [/i]
    [B]Well, it's a more mundane legal tangle than certain other news agencies have found themselves involved in - [i]a la[/i] the BBC - but it has the benefit of being highly amusing.[/B][/QUOTE]

At least the BBC one is worth the effort of the inquiry. This thing isn't worth the tax payer money it will eventually cost.