Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

S:aab

Hi everyone. Its been a long time since I last posted here.

Anyways, I went to TVShowsOnDVD.com earlier and checked on a few things. While there I noticed that Space: Above and Beyond was ranked as 25th on the site, and this got my hopes up that maybe we could get the show released on DVD. I also found a link to a small S:AAB community off the Sci-Fi Channel site that I thought I'd share, so here it is:
[url]http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/527?pnum=1674[/url]

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I would love to have that show on DVD.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I just re-watched the series as a whole a month ago, and I literally so got into a short depression regarding the state of the industry.

All I seek is quality stories and deep characters. What is so hard about this?

I still have not watched the final episodes of farscape for fear of having the same feeling again. It really angers me, but also makes me so sad. It's amazing how attached you can become to works of fiction and the characters in them.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B] It's amazing how attached you can become to works of fiction and the characters in them. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep.. i still remember when i went out of the cinema after ST:Generations... the depressions because Kirk was dead!...
    Well, I should reinforce the point that there were only 24 episodes, and that of those episodes, more than half were just establishing the situation and building a foundation. The remaining were what got me so incredibly well hooked into it.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]I just re-watched the series as a whole a month ago, and I literally so got into a short depression regarding the state of the industry.

All I seek is quality stories and deep characters. What is so hard about this?

I still have not watched the final episodes of farscape for fear of having the same feeling again. It really angers me, but also makes me so sad. It's amazing how attached you can become to works of fiction and the characters in them. [/B][/QUOTE]

see, this is how I feel when I think about certain things:

#1: B5-ITF...its to the point where I can't even listen to the music to it anymore...GAH. :(

#2: What the stupid UT'ers did to Wheel of Time...jerks ruined the game. :( (Biggles, you never got to play a proper game of wot. its unfair I know...)

certain other things, but I think I can safely say that TV shows arn't one of them. ;) I have three shows I watch, which means 2:15 minutes of showtime a week +news/movies. I can deal with that. (I tape my TV shows and watch later)
    also, for it's time it hat pretty neat VFX (and the hammerheads are a pretty slick design)

i still remember when the first "teaser" for the show aired here on tv, it was just when the rumors of a new starwars movie came up (wich turned out to be the SE of the old films, i think), and i sat there and for an instant believed it was an add for a new star wars film (it was only a shot of the wildcards flying through an asteroid field towards camera, with the sun behind them.

and the theme music was quite nice too ;)
    My favorite episode of S:AAB would have to be the christmas episode. It not only had depth to the main characters, it added depth to their enemy.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B](Biggles, you never got to play a proper game of wot. its unfair I know...)[/B][/QUOTE]

Eh? What's not proper about the real game?
  • the Multiplayer portion...was soooo much better then SP, but alas, by the time you joined in the GOOD people, ala those that were part of the community, were VASTLY outnumbered by the UT:Instagib players. it was the dawn of balefire only, it stank.

basically, picture a community that was every bit as tight as Firstones, only about 10 times the size. everyone KNEW everyone else, and were a little more mature. (Heh, I know, gunna get yelled at for that one). now, picture this community all playing online. typical game consisted of about 8 people, including the developers. Every time you died, you said "Nice Shot" or something along those lines. every time you killed someone you said "good fight!" or something along those lines. during the match there would be nice conversations going on. if there was a newer/poor player on the server, someone would help them out. actually stop playing to teach them. and the other people on the server would not attack them, or, depending on how it was going, help out. but would NOT try to win, they tried to make it fun. If, by chance, they killed the person, the message "Sorry! Get your bag" if nessasary they would defend the bag from another player to make certain they kept it. On games were there were few players, people would leave the bag when they killed someone, keeping them in the game. at the end of the game everyone would say "good game!" and start talking about some better moments, etc.

i mean, picture this:
    Firstones gets their game, everyone here playes it online. Then, another community takes over the servers. they bash everyone, they kill gameplay, they spam the forums, etc etc. Some attempts are made to keep our little group alive as before, using passworded servers, but unfortunatally, most of the players are casual gamers, and don't get the password. All servers are suddenly "Purebale" those that arn't, are still ridden with people trying to vote pure bale maps, or using nothing but balefire and cursing at everyone. Eventually, people leave, sick and tired of it. Until you get to where we are now, with a dead game, and no community.

thats exactly what happened. Back right before and after the release of the game, I hardly ever visited this place, hate to say it, but true. WoT had an even better community, and not much was happening here. Now....its dead. :(
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]My favorite episode of S:AAB would have to be the christmas episode. It not only had depth to the main characters, it added depth to their enemy.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

I had 2 favorites among many...

The episode where they are stuck in the transport and use the comet to hitch a ride (which I believe is the Christmas episode that you are talking about here Biggles...), and one of them has to eva to point the engine in the right direction.

Then there's the episode where they are stranded on the planet where there's a dinner, and the Fleet moves on to a larger battle. The part where West eats the dirt laced with sugar just came home in that situation...

Then there's the episode with Von Chiggy... ;)
    Jack:

1) The River of Stars

2) Sugar Dirt

3) Angriest Angel

IMHO, The Angriest Angel is simply one of the best, followed closely in my eyes by Ray Butts and Mutiny.

As much as I hated him at the start, I really admired Cnl. Ray Butts at the end, and not just because he listened to the Man in Black...
  • What is S:AaB? I've heard of it, but I know nothing about it.
    S:AAB is short for "Space: Above and Beyond".

It is a show that is pretty rare in most senses. It had deep, involving characters, a whole slew of interesting plots and threads, and was just unique.

In short, S:AAB is a dark, perhaps depressing war drama taking place in the future, after humanity's attempt to colonize another planet took a turn for the worst and unknowingly provoked an enemy, called the Chigs by humans, into an all-out war.

It's really hard to give a proper rundown of the series, but if you want to try, check out the site below. It is, sadly, one of the only few decent websites for the show. THere's a huge vacuum that's just asking to be filled. I've actually considered compiling a site for it here on FO. Just as much content as possible and straight to the point. Anyway, here's the link:
    [url]http://web-worthy.com/saab/[/url]

My suggestions so far as to getting episodes would be Kazaa, IRC, and BitTorrent. There's not much else to suggest, really, because it's just hard to come by. But, there's a number of really high quality caps (~340 MB Each, perfect color, 576 x 432 resolution)
    My recommendation for getting them would be to get eMule and then go [url=http://www.sharereactor.com/release.php?id=5123]here[/url].

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]The episode where they are stuck in the transport and use the comet to hitch a ride (which I believe is the Christmas episode that you are talking about here Biggles...), and one of them has to eva to point the engine in the right direction.[/B][/QUOTE]

That's the one, Jack.
    actually, i'd recommend getting bittorrent and get the 8 GB package from [URL=http://home.comcast.net/~suprtwo/list_torrents/tvshows.html#97]HERE[/URL]
    it's much faster than emule, and you'll probably have all the episodes when with emule you are struggling to get the second (if you're lucky...).
    that said, if you only have isdn or 56K, then take the emule approach....
    SWEET JESUS! Thanks. :-)

I was looking for that site again. heh. I got all the high-res ones available at the time, but that was only half the show, and "Mutiny" and "Tell our moms we done our best" were not among 'em... :(

Oh well. 27 hours to go, and they're ALL MINE! Again!
    Ohhh nice site!
    As of tomorrow, I'll have *ALL* of those on the server system. If anyone were to want them, I'd gladly open up an FTP...
  • Depressing... story... characters... Me like? :)

8Gb is 1/10th of my entire HD (when I get my good PC back, 1/5th of my current PC's HD), but it would appear you guys like it. :D
    got my 160GB external HD yesterday. and with some luck, i'll have all the episodes today :) (well, just 2-3 GB missing)
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    That bittorrent link doesn't seem to work for me; I keep getting the "cannot connect to clients" error. Is that ftp up, Sanfam?
    If you noted the suprnova news, it said the trackers are down. I'm still downloading from others, but not sure how far i'll get.
    Darn. Back to eMule then.
    actually, the tracker for those files is not the suprnova tracker, so it still works....
  • Not to be rude, but...

Got that FTP up yet, Sanfam?
    No, but soon. The server needs to be kicked a few times.
    Get kicking then.
  • Too bad I can't get be bittorrent to work. Every time I try to dl I get Error2.