Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

The Legend of "All Your Base Is Belong to Us"

Who knows it? Where did it come from?

I believe I heard something about it having to do with bots, and the intial TF (team fortress) mod for QUAKE?

Unfortunately, I wasn't around in the online QUAKE era. I did play Quake for a little bit, single player... long after it came out.

Anyway, I was just wondering about the background of that saying, and the "boxors joo roxors" or whatever the heck it is... and any other cool stories anyone might have or know.

I'm afraid I missed most of these big, historical things in online gaming.... as I missed most of the games. heh... I usually play everything AFTER the fact. (Only started playing Half-Life like 3 or 3 years after it's been out) Except for Tribes 2, of course. I got that pretty quick after it came out, tho I did quit playing it pretty fast, too... probably before it made any of it's own history/legends.

BTW... whatever happened to TF2? I've just about written it off as a lost-cause. Does anyone know anything different?

Also... What about Duke Nukem Forever? And Star Trek: Vulcan Fury? (God, that looked soooo cool)

-Zoltan

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    All your base [i]are[/i] belong to us.

It's from the intro of a japanese game that was very very badly translated. If you hunt around in google you should be able to find the original intro converted to flash format in a few places. :) It contains many such phrases, including "You have no chance to survive, make your time," and "You know what you doing."
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Breaking some rules here but still... :p

[URL]http://www.theregister.co.uk/media/386.gif[/URL]
  • The original flash version as well as most of the spawned animations can be found at [url]http://www.newgrounds.com/collections/ayb.html[/url]

It was the horribly translated intro for a Sega Genesis game entitled Zero Wing, which was actually a halfway decent side scrolling space shooter (a la Gradius) despite the fact that any printed words in the game pretty much made no sense. The flash animation is exactly what the opening to the game is (for as long as it stays with the game thing), except in the game there are no voices. All music in the animation is actually taken from the game, though I believe minor alterations may have been made.

And to the best of my recollection TF2 was another of the four or five games VU shelved when they gobbled up Sierra, but anyone who knows better can feel free to correct me.
  • Hmmm.... Wow! That's even funnier than I thought. I thought that some bots on the original Quake TF mod said that, or macro-ed it as a taunt or something.... Hmmm.. I don't remember where I heard that, tho. I was probably during my Half-Life: TFC playing days. :D

Hah... I love those badly-translated japenesse things... They're so funny.

Well, that's a cool site... I'll be spending a lot of time on there. :D:D:D

Thanx!

-Zoltan
  • [url]www.allyourbase.com[/url] used to have a translation, which explained that the ship was American, and that the UN (Japan, basically) hated the US, so it teamed up with the evil Cats (???) to defeat Earth. You're the last American ship (hence All Your Base Are Belong To Us), and just as it blows up, you, the last ZIG fighter, escape... so you have to defeat the Cats all by yourself. (Hence, "Take off every ZIG ... Move ZIG, for great justice"). Or something like that. And yeah, the game was actually pretty good, it was just that the translation would've made more sense had they left it in Japanese. A flash version is really easy to find of the original, but Data already posted one, so there. When the phrase began spreading, people would write it all over the damn place, especially on college dorms.

As for r0x0r j00r b0x0rz... that's just 1337 slang for "rock your boxers"... nothing historical, unless you're a regular at my Counter-Strike server, at least... We credit ourselves as having invented the phrase, seeing as to how no one but us used it until we started spamming it. :D

If you want to learn about the history of the gaming industry, I'd recommend perusing through Gamespy's articles... it's where I learne dmost of this crap.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by the_exile [/i]
    [B][url]www.allyourbase.com[/url] used to have a translation, which explained that the ship was American, and that the UN (Japan, basically) hated the US,
    [/B][/QUOTE]

They stole my idea!!!!!!!

Just take the hate part out.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Data Crystal [/i]
    [B]Breaking some rules here but still... :p [/B][/QUOTE]

I'll let it pass in this case. It's worth it. :)
  • If memory serves, the ship that was attacked was Japanese, and it was the UN (which the Japanese didn't trust/equated with us sleazy Americans) that sold their souls to Cats, leaving that one ship as the last bastion of human defense.
  • LOL

hahahaha...... Those Jap. translations are so funny!! :D:D:D:D:D
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo_1 [/i]
    [B]If memory serves, the ship that was attacked was Japanese, and it was the UN (which the Japanese didn't trust/equated with us sleazy Americans) that sold their souls to Cats, leaving that one ship as the last bastion of human defense. [/B][/QUOTE]

You're right, it was the other way around. Wouldn't make sense for a Japanese game to portray themselves as the bad guys. Besides, the Americans would have a waaay cooler name for their fighter than the ZIG. :p
  • I had no idea this AYBABTU was so BIG! Heh. They got merchandise and everything.. LOL

I want an AYBABTU T-Shirt! :D

-Zoltan
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Zoltan [/i]
    [B]I had no idea this AYBABTU was so BIG! Heh. They got merchandise and everything.. LOL

I want an AYBABTU T-Shirt! :D

-Zoltan [/B][/QUOTE]

It's not so much anymore, now that all the damn young kids are becoming gamers (note how I act as if I'm not one of them :D), but it used to be huge. I suddenly understand how Morden and the rest must have felt in that thread about classic video games... :(
    It was a fad, and like any other fad it was huge for a short while and then died right out.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]It was a fad, and like any other fad it was huge for a short while and then died right out. [/B][/QUOTE]

All your base are belong to me. Hush.