Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Babylon 5, Farscape, and MUCH MORE!

croxiscroxis I am the walrus
I was again at the convention today, I I learned a LOT of upcoming things in the industry that I will now pass on to all of you.

[B]Babylon 5 and Crusade[/B]
We all know WB is VERY happy with the Babylon 5 DVD sales. They were expecting at best 100,000 units to be sold. The current figures are at 450,000, and not all seasons have been released. They are now underway putting the remaining movies and Crusade to DVD. However there is something interesting that I found out. It appears that someone high up in WB had the master effect films destroyed. So many of the shots we see is NOT from the master film but from the back ups that were kept by the studio.

Now Enterprise (and Star Trek in general) is hurting real bad. Enterprise ratings are some of the lowest in history. They are up a little with the current season. However WB sees this as an opportunity to gain market share with Babylon 5. Both things jms is working on is STILL in the works.

SPOILERS (can we get a spoiler script installed?):
(Select text to read clearly)

It looks like they are going to find the wepon around episode 13. No one knows exactly what is going ot eb done after that. There is a fear that Enterprise may make the same mistake voyager did. The general rumor is that the alternate timeline will be wrapped back together by using the temperal cold war excuse.

[B]Farscape[/B]
Yup, there will be a 4-6 episode mini season to finish up Farscape.

[B]Star Wars[/B]
Last year the guy ran down the basic plot of the whole movie, and he was fairly close. Ep III is looking very good, but it is VERY dark. There is no happy moment at all. They are also having a hard time cutting it down to a PG rating because of the content of the movie. We will get an explanation on why jedi vanish when they die, as well as a few other things. I know of the two possible endings for the movie too. The actor who playes Obi One is playing with his voice so near the end of the movie he will sound like Old Ben from a New Hope.

In about a year we will have DVDs of eps 4,5,6. They have things added and changed AGAIN. Most of the changes I heard are good things, and they are bringing in content from 1,2,3.
SPOILERS FOR CHANGES TO DVD(can we get a spoiler script installed?):
(Select text to read clearly)

Some of the changes seem real good, such as the light saber effects will be done with cg and remove the frame jumping, white boxes around the ships. Jaba the Hut and Yoda will be given a CG makeover. This can turn out to be real good or real bad. A lot of the specific details I can't remember. However some of the more questionable things is when The world is destroyed in a New Hope, there will be a shot of yoda looking up to the sky with fear. In the Celebrations after the destruction of the empire, there will we a shot of Naboo with an aged Jar Jar. Yes, Jar Jar lives. The unmasked face of Darth will be replaced with the dude who played Anikan in Ep II and III. That whole talk will be expanded as well including adding the phrase "Rebuild the Jedi Order." It is thought this will forshadow the new TV series. We will see Lukes mom in the end scene witht he 3 other ghosts.

This is NOT the last of Starwars. Talk are underway for both a live action and animated series. Also Lucas seems to be softening up to the idea of letting Spielburg doing 7,8, and 9.....

[B]Other Movies[/B]
Shreck 2,3 are in production. Terminator 4 is underway and scripts for 5 and 6 are being worked on. A Prediter 2 movie is being looked at. The game Dungeon Siege is being made into a movie. Max Pane, Doom, and some others are being looked at as well. Harry Potter 4 will be about 4.5 hours long with a 30min intermission. Gambit should be in XMen 3.

[B]FireFly[/B]
It looks like this series suffered a fate kind of like Crusade. The eps were shown out of order and the like. However the DVDs are coming out, in the right order, as well as several that were not aired.

[B]Family Guy and Futurama[/B]
Fox now regrets cutting Family Guy. The creator of the show is now obligated to other projects and can't start up a series, but he said that he can do a direct to DVD movie, and I quote, "every couple of years."

The same is being planned with Futurama.

I will fix spelling and add more updates later

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Life is good for a SciFi fan!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Firefly was absolutely butchered by Fox. They not only played the episodes out of order, but then canned it for no good reason. It had absolutely huge potential, with great characters and acting.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Re: Babylon 5, Farscape, and MUCH MORE!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]
    [B]Star Wars[/B]
    Last year the guy ran down the basic plot of the whole movie, and he was fairly close. Ep III is looking very good, but it is VERY dark. There is no happy moment at all. They are also having a hard time cutting it down to a PG rating because of the content of the movie. We will get an explanation on why jedi vanish when they die, as well as a few other things. I know of the two possible endings for the movie too.

In about a year we will have DVDs of eps 4,5,6. They have things added and changed AGAIN. Most of the changes I heard are good things, and they are bringing in content from 1,2,3.

This is NOT the last of Starwars. Talk are underway for both a live action and animated series. Also Lucas seems to be softening up to the idea of letting Spielburg doing 7.8 and 9.....
    [/B][/QUOTE]

From what I've heard, the changes in 4,5 and 6 will suck mostly (kill jar jar petition should be coming soon... I hope). And not that hopeful about Ep III either.

And episodes 7,8 and 9 should be about Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy. If they're adding something to the original trilogy, they damn well should add him... To make way for the last trilogy (if there ever is one)
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    interesting...very interesting...at least the babylon 5 and farscape stuff...the rest....well....
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    [QUOTE]It appears that someone high up in WB had the master effect films destroyed.[/QUOTE]

Whoever did that should be SHOT after being tortured for weeks.

Other than that, it looks like there are good things coming. Let's hope they're worth the wait.

Worf
  • All of this info looks VERY promising. :)

A Babylon 5 renaissance would be absoloutely fantastic, and I bet WB could pull it off if they just invested a little time and money in it.

Knowing that Farscape is going to be finished up is absolutely BRILLIANT news. Farscape is the ONLY sci-fi show I've watched and stuck with from the very beginning (I discovered B5 late in series 4) and seeing it canned after so much was terrible.

As for Star Wars episodes 7-9, I think the mighty [b]JASON ISAACS[/b] would be [i]unbeatable[/i] as Grand Admiral Thrawn, undoubtedly the greatest Star Wars character ever. :cool:

Regards,
    Morden
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Morden279 [/i]
    [B]

As for Star Wars episodes 7-9, I think the mighty [b]JASON ISAACS[/b] would be [i]unbeatable[/i] as Grand Admiral Thrawn, undoubtedly the greatest Star Wars character ever. :cool:

Regards,
    Morden [/B][/QUOTE]

Jason Isaacs is great in almost anywhere. :)

And well, as long as noone tells me a better actor than him for Thrawn, I think I'll be praising that casting choice (if it ever comes a possibility)!
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Morden279 [/i]
    [B]
    Knowing that Farscape is going to be finished up is absolutely BRILLIANT news. [/B][/QUOTE]

If the mini series is [b]offically[/b] published by [b]Jim&Henson company[/b], I think it wont end the series.

Because in all of the rumours its a "stand alone" mini series.
    So i think it doesnt have anything to do with "Bad timing", its just another story without "to be continued..." in Farscape universe.
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by sinclair [/i]
    [B]If the mini series is [b]offically[/b] published by [b]Jim&Henson company[/b], I think it wont end the series.

Because in all of the rumours its a "stand alone" mini series.
    So i think it doesnt have anything to do with "Bad timing", its just another story without "to be continued..." in Farscape universe. [/B][/QUOTE]

TV shows aren't "published". They're produced.

And I haven't seen anyone saying that the series is "stand alone". What I've heard is that it won't be a Sci-Fi channel exclusive. But the mini series will wrap up the story. It will at least continue from where the series ended.
  • I'd LOVE to see Speilburg to the Thrawn trilagy!!!
  • Alpha-1Alpha-1 Elite Ranger Germany
    Re: Babylon 5, Farscape, and MUCH MORE!

[B]
    [B]Babylon 5 and Crusade[/B]
    We all know WB is VERY happy with the Babylon 5 DVD sales. They were expecting at best 100,000 units to be sold. The current figures are at 450,000, and not all seasons have been released. They are now underway putting the remaining movies and Crusade to DVD. However there is something interesting that I found out. It appears that someone high up in WB had the master effect films destroyed. So many of the shots we see is NOT from the master film but from the back ups that were kept by the studio.

Now Enterprise (and Star Trek in general) is hurting real bad. Enterprise ratings are some of the lowest in history. They are up a little with the current season. However WB sees this as an opportunity to gain market share with Babylon 5. Both things jms is working on is STILL in the works.

[/B][/QUOTE]

nice. are the solds usa only or worldwide?
    about the effects. did you mean the cgi fies that WB had lost or other new stuff? what do you mean with master effect films? sfx effects? btw have you a soure for the info??

can't wait for something new in the b5 universe find it's way to the tv - screen or the cinemas ;)
  • Personally I think Ed Harris could do a good Thrawn.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by samuelk [/i]
    [B]TV shows aren't "published". They're produced.

And I haven't seen anyone saying that the series is "stand alone". What I've heard is that it won't be a Sci-Fi channel exclusive. But the mini series will wrap up the story. It will at least continue from where the series ended. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, published... I said that because lack of my english skills. But what i was meaning is that im waiting the offical information, that there will really be new Farscape episodes one way or another.

And have you ever visited [URL=http://www.savefarscape.com]www.savefarscape.com?[/URL] , i think you should... I think you all should.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Update to Enterprise.

Also Lucas created plotlines for 12, yes 12 star wars movies. Only the first 9 went into consideration. Also the 'main' characters thoughout the whole movies would be R2D2 and C3PO, and they movies would have been from thier point of view.
    I lied, major updates
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Anla'Shok Douglas Nicol [/i]
    [B]Personally I think Ed Harris could do a good Thrawn. [/B][/QUOTE]

To my knowledge, the only official pictures of Thrawn were in the PC game "Tie Fighter" published back in 1994, in which he featured heavilly. I'll post a screenshot asap, but bugger me if Thrawn isn't the [i]splitting image[/i] of Isaacs!

Regards,
    Morden
  • Fire Fly was a good show, When you looked past the Westren theme. It would have done better with out the westren theme.

Also they are airing the Three unaired eps of fire fly here.

I hope they bring back Sea Quest, on put it on DVD
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Name something notable that this Issacs guy has been in. I dont recognise the name off hand.
    [B]To my knowledge, the only official pictures of Thrawn were in the PC game "Tie Fighter" published back in 1994, in which he featured heavilly. I'll post a screenshot asap, but bugger me if Thrawn isn't the [i]splitting image[/i] of Isaacs!

Regards,
    Morden [/B][/QUOTE]

Thrawn has appeared in:

TIE FIGHTER [URL=http://www.100megspop3.com/donjbar/thrawn.jpg](picture)[/URL]

REBELLION (Supremacy in the UK) [URL=http://www.angelfire.com/ne/thrawn/images/Thrawnchestup.jpg](picture)[/URL] <- He looks like a certain robot from the future here.

THE STAR WARS CCG [URL=http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/reflections2/dark/images/grandadmiralthrawn.gif](picture)[/URL] <- I have that card :D

COMICS [URL=http://www.sensible.it/personal/resio/starwars/thrawn2.gif](picture)[/URL]

ACTION FIGURE [URL=http://collectiblestime.safeshopper.com/images/bh19xycq.jpg](picture)[/URL] <- I have one of those too

And my Star Wars cartoon.

Worf
  • can anyone explain this thrawn plot line or whatever for those of us not in the know?
  • Re: Babylon 5, Farscape, and MUCH MORE!

[B]Now Enterprise (and Star Trek in general) is hurting real bad. Enterprise ratings are some of the lowest in history. They are up a little with the current season. However WB sees this as an opportunity to gain market share with Babylon 5. Both things jms is working on is STILL in the works.[/b][/quote]

I hope Enterprise ends soon... it's one of the few shows I actively hate.

[quote][B]Star Wars[/B]
    This is NOT the last of Starwars. Talk are underway for both a live action and animated series. Also Lucas seems to be softening up to the idea of letting Spielburg doing 7,8, and 9....[/b][/quote]

I'm surprised no one mentioned the NJO for 7-9, which would rock, if it weren't so damn long. I mean, Traitor (best book in the damn series) could be a movie by itself, as could most any of the hardcovers. That'd end up being 7-12... :rolleyes: Of course, that'd rock, so...

[quote][B]Other Movies[/B]
    Shreck 2,3 are in production. Terminator 4 is underway and scripts for 5 and 6 are being worked on. A Prediter 2 movie is being looked at. The game Dungeon Siege is being made into a movie. Max Pane, Doom, and some others are being looked at as well. Harry Potter 4 will be about 4.5 hours long with a 30min intermission. Gambit should be in XMen 3.[/quote]

Shrek: Meh. 3 Shreks is 2 too many.
    Terminator: I'll not pass judgement until I see 3... which I am told actually [i]doesn't[/i] suck... shocker there, if it's true.
    Dungeon Siege: No. Good RPG, bad game
    Doom: Ok, it's pretty much a movie already... space marine vs aliens.
    Max Payne: THE GAME IS A FRIGGIN MOVIE ALREADY! IMO, it's going to be the best of the coming game movies.
    Harry Potter: Oh. Em. Gee. That's just ridiculous.
    X3: Dunno who that is, but X2 was pretty good, and it's just deep enough that the idiots who didn't like Hulk can ignore the plot, but anyone with the capacity for sentience can enjoy it.

Also, I've heard about movie adaptations of... some others games. I'll post some when I find the info again.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rcmodels [/i]
    [B]can anyone explain this thrawn plot line or whatever for those of us not in the know? [/B][/QUOTE]

Thrawn took control of the Empire 4 years after Return of the Jedi, a year later he started his campaign against the New Republic.

I won't go into the plot, but Thrawn has no ego, he doesn't do stupid things if he is losing a battle, he doesn't execute his officers for giving bad news, only if they do things that damage the Empire's chances of victory.

The best thing is he studies art and it lets him see into the minds of people who create it or collect it. This allows him to see what tactics they will use in battle, their psychological weaknesses and so on.

The Thrawn Trilogy is well worth reading,

Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command by Timothy Zahn
  • Thanks, Angelus... :rolleyes:

Regards,
    Morden
    Out of the first three movies, who is the most honest? Who acted witht he most honor? Who is the most selfless? Who was the least corrupt? Who would be th emost reliable to thier friends?

Jar Jar
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Jar Jar? Reliable? It's his damn fault Palpatine got his emergency powers! :D

[B]Also the 'main' characters thoughout the whole movies would be R2D2 and C3PO, and they movies would have been from thier point of view. [/B][/QUOTE]

Probably because, with 12 movies, they would be the only ones to exist through all the events described.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Captain,Simmonds [/i]
    [B]Fire Fly was a good show, When you looked past the Westren theme. It would have done better with out the westren theme.[/B][/QUOTE]

I think the western theme added quite a bit to the show. It gave it a unique feel.
    I thought that R2D2 and C3PO were already the main characters.. I mean, when you look at it, they're the most important characters in the trilogies (can't say how much they affect things in Episode II for not having seen that one yet), but they would've been pretty fucked up in the original trilogy without 'em, and in the Phantom Menace.
    [B]Thanks, Angelus... :rolleyes:

Regards,
    Morden [/B][/QUOTE]

What can I say? Thrawn is one of my favourite Star Wars characters...

Worf
  • MatthewMatthew Earthforce Officer
    Firefly never heard of it. By the way what does NJO stand for. Jason Issacs the names familiar but I can't put a face to it.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    NJO stands for the New Jedi Order
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Here's the link to Jason Issacs profile on IMDB.com, with a pic... he's had a very good career and done lots of high profile films:

[url]http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005042/[/url]

You know what he would be perfect as Thrawn. He has that look of a cold, calculating, but brilliant and shrewd Admiral! Yep spot on there Morden279 ;)

Cheers for the long post Croxis, appreciate the updates :)

On Enterprise, have been watching season 2 here in the UK. Its ok, nothing amazing. I thought maybe there would be something new, but nothing changes. They just use the same ST formula. Really is a missed oppertunity IMO.

Fingers crossed on what JMS is working on! :)