Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Another box defect in S3 R2 DVD?

13»

Comments

• Warlord IIWarlord II Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Data Crystal [/i]
    [B]You know, they didn't give me a credit card either. I'm using a Visa Electron from Sampo which you can get without any hassle. Works fine in Play.com, Amazon.de and so on...

So, you ordered from Filmifriikki or Kukunor methinks... am I right? I'm waiting for reviews on the new batch, see if the defect's still there. [/B][/QUOTE]I'm using Visa Electron from Osuuspankki and I heard it doesn't work in Amazon (at least english amazon). There is apparently a difference from which bank your Electron is. As a student I have to get those 80 student weeks before getting credit card.

I ordered from [url=http://www.videodivari.com]Videodivari[/url] before R2 boxes were released but they knew about defects before they got the boxes so they didn't send them at all and I had to wait this far.
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Sampo's Electron is currently the only one that works on the 'net. They're integrating the Verified By Visa system to other banks' Electrons now so they might become usable in the near future too. I actually had Aktia's Electron to start with, but when I heard that only Sampo's worked, I marched right in and created a new account. Almost costless until you're 26 so not a bad thing at all. And it works.

Yes, I had to get those B5 seasons for a reasonable price _THAT_ bad... :D
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Ok, another query. I've now heard two people state that the 'new and improved' batch (Staffel 3 @ Amazon.de) has a 'slight' defect as well. There's a glitch on the first episode of the first disc at the point of 37.40 about. The 'little glitch' being that the whole film freezes and that you have to reset the player to get the dvd working again. Which means that you can't watch the whole episode... so, anyone here had the same problem with the new batch?

Just would like to know if there are people out there that don't have the problem. Then I'd guess it would be safe to order.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Well, I got a 3rd set, and still out of luck... 3 discs of 6 were loose and scratched and disc 3 was unreadable. I won't give up so easily, I like the show too much. :) It must be the B5 curse, I guess I'll get another faulty one and the fifth will be the charm.

Funny thing is, the previous two sets had the same retainers and none had that problem, unless I was really lucky. This time around you couldn't hear the discs slide back and forth inside when tilting the box. I was hopeful even though only for a few seconds.

I hope the 4th and 5th set are ok.
  • It seems that I won't order S3 R2 in the near future :(
  • AggamemnonAggamemnon Earthforce Officer
    Do you chaps have printed paper between the discs or just transparent plastic?
    [QUOTE]Do you chaps have printed paper between the discs or just transparent plastic?[/QUOTE]

Just transparent, and I ordered the 3rd faulty season 3 region 2 ([B]UK[/B] ) set. It's amazing what kind of problems this show has to deal with even after its production. I wouldn't be willing to go through all this mess for any other show.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Stingray [/i]
    [B]Just transparent, and I ordered the 3rd faulty season 3 region 2 ([B]UK[/B] ) set. It's amazing what kind of problems this show has to deal with even after its production.[/B][/QUOTE]
    Yeah, there seem to be few "big shots" that should be kicked hard to ass and taught a "little" lesson!
  • Has anyone seen the Battlestar Galactica box set, the old 70's season?

They have also used the rigid transparent plastic holders, however they are slightly different. Instead of them being double sided, there is one disc per holder, and a slight recess on the other side. This means the centre holder that keeps the disc in fits snugly into this recess and sits flush. Also, its not even really any bigger.
    EPILOGUE

Well, I'm finally holding a complete undamaged set in my hands. It only took 4 sets for me to get it but now it's done. :)

You want to know how I did it? Simple, I ordered the FRENCH release of the set. Guess what, the FRENCH box set differs quite a bit from the UK release, BUT the DVD contents is EXACTLY the same (the menues are even in English and the audio track is English by default). In the FRENCH release every single DVD is packaged in its own cardboard box and every disc has a retainer that won't damage the discs during shipping. The only drawback is that every season is sold in two box sets with 3 discs packaged as mentionned above and thus add up to being about 25% more expensive than the UK 6 disc set.

Anyway, since I don't see them releasing a fresh UK set anytime soon, I think this is a reasonable alternative, even though the discs will take up twice the space as a regular set on your shelf. (I could have ordered the US set but then it would have been a region 1 set and that would be a hassle.)

All in all I'm quite happy with it. This doesn't answer the question why those bastards tried to sell us the damaged goods though....
  • AggamemnonAggamemnon Earthforce Officer
    Are the sets supposed to be transparent then?