Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Mars and Water: Major Announcement Tuesday!

Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20707-2004Mar1.html[/url]

[quote]
"NASA plans to announce "significant findings" about the history of water on Mars discovered by its Opportunity rover, which has been studying rocks and soil for evidence that the Red Planet was once a wetter place that could have been hospitable to life.

The findings were to be released Tuesday during a press conference at National Aeronautics and Space Administration headquarters in Washington."
[/quote]

Comments

• MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Here it comes...!
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Yep - can't wait to hear what this is! :)
  • MartianDustMartianDust Elite Ranger
    Excellent! :)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    It's 4pm on tuesday, where's my announcement?
    It is only 10pm Monday for the time that NASA Headquarters is on ;)
    Well what time on tuesday will this briefing be and will it be on NASATV?
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    24 hours MAX to god... (11pm EST)

prolly more like 15 hours I'd say
    From NASA:

03.01.04 - Mars-Rover Opportunity Press Briefing
    Significant findings from Mars will be announced at a press briefing at 2 p.m. EST, Tuesday, March 2, at NASA Headquarters.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    They should announce times also in GMT.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    LOL

[url=http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/mystery_monday_040301.html]Meteorite impact tests with bowling ball[/url] :D
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    lol! the things you have to do for science!:p
    well...it is 2 hours away and counting now :) :) - lets hope this is good :)
    Ok! Paraphrasing from press conference!

40% of outcrop is some form of salt...and that is all probably preciptate! Most of it is sulfur salts. Water was possibly as salty as the dead sea! In order to form that ammount of salt in the rocks!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [B][SIZE=3]It has been posted online![/SIZE][/B]

[url]http://marsrover.nasa.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/20040302a.html[/url]
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    wow! that amazing! im still waiting for it on the news here:(

i anticipate some interesting times ahead!
    Yar! Thar been water there!
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    Now if they only can find out where that water has gone.
    I KNEW this yrs ago! :rolleyes: ;)
  • WHYWHY Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Yar! Thar been water there! [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know why, but Futurama's "Whalers on the Moon" song just came into my head...
    I was thinking exactly the same thing when I wrote that. :D
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    talk about drip feeding information...:)

(har har... I crack me up.)
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    I just got a nice idea, too bad I wont be alive to see it. When eventually we meet extraterrestrials, chances are they have been around far longer than we, and chances are they have had optical telescopes aimed for us...

...It would be cool to dig up an old photo containing green Mars and Green earth...

...of course thinking about it, Earth and Mars would not both be visible, so not as cool as I thought, but I wanted to share it with you :D
  • I'm to sleepy to think of something smart.... but water on Mars is great news. Darn college, it's killing me.

Maybe it's purple water?
    Ok....knock it off :)

We have Red Mars and Blue and Brown Earth presently. Look at the pictures from space.

What would be best is photos of Blue and Brown Mars :) :)
    It'd be blue and brown if anything because the chances of green plant life having evolved before the water dissapeared is slim.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Messiah [/i]
    [B]...of course thinking about it, Earth and Mars would not both be visible, so not as cool as I thought, but I wanted to share it with you :D [/B][/QUOTE]

How do you mean both not visible? :confused: :)
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    If you can think of a perspective from which both Terra and Mars are visible and you can make out details on both, then I'd certainly like to hear about it.
    You'd probably have to be directly above the centre point of a line between them when they were as close as possible (eg last year) and have a really really powerful telescope. Even then, there's no way you could get them in the same shot.

If you took the same situation (close approach) and looked almost straight down the line between them so one was right beside the other, you'd still probably be unable to get detail on both in a single frame because to get the detail on the farther one would require the closer one to be too big for the frame (unless you had some ultra-wide FOV or something I guess).

Alternatively, it's possible that because it's late and I'm tired that I've screwed up my geometry. :)
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Actually, maybe if you were really far away, several light years at least, and had the telescope pointed at Earth and Mars just wandered into the shot... hmm....

The small fov and the huge distance between you and the target object just might do it.
    That would probably do it if you had really really really high definition.