Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

denied by a personality test

I was looking for a part time job today, and i submited an application to AT&T wireless to sell cell phones. After you submit your resume they make you take a test to see if you fit in with the job your looking for.

Apparently my personality type does not "fit" with what they want, but they tell me I shouldn't worry because it in no way precludes me from other job types(gee thanks). I wouldn't really care if they used that as one factor, but to not let me continue with the process because of some stupid test is ridiculous.

Remember folks its not how you act in the interveiw, what your experience is, or even how honorable or hard working you are, its how well you do on the error proof "put human beings in a nice little box test".

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I had this happen once at the local grocery store. My first real on-the-books job was outright denied because of a single red flag. After suggesting a "Trial period", I got the flag erased and was able to work for six weeks before leaving for school. Seems to have worked out fine. Hell, I got a raise, and that's gotta warrant something.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I'm sorry, you don't fit our personality profile to post here. Please leave.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    YEAH! Leave me bee!
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    unfortunately the tests they often use are quite accurate. It's still discrimination yes, but they don't want even the slightest possibility that you might bring discord or some sort of 'negative attribute' to thier workplace.

they would much rather go with a 'safe bet' perosnality that they know they can contain/control/exploit. You might be able to do the job way better than the trained monkeys but they just wont take the punt.

I fall into the ENTP / ENFP category. Un-employable in all but a few percent of the workforce. It got to the point, when I was actually looking for work, that I put this in my resume. Saved alot of hassle.

When I went to the Woolies (read Wal-mart for US readers), for a mass sign up for a new store, I did the test etc and I called when I was supposed to. I could tell precisely the point at which my results came up on the HR girls screen... up until she got to it she was all sweetness and light and I felt like a shoe in for whichever job I preffered...

It sucks mate... find out which slot you supposedly fit into and work with what you got. I've ended up inventing my own job, working for myself. A tough way to live. Still, round pegs are better of making thier own holes than trying to conform to the square hole...
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Yeah, gotta love those tests...

The one place left in Oakhurst that pays well enough not to have to commute to Fresno, uses a test like this on everybody.

I took it once, and I guess I must have failed. I've submitted many a resume to them, and either get ignored, or the contact disappears mysteriously.

It's a joke now... Any position I could work there doing, I religiously apply for. Just so that one day when they actually find a reason to call me I'll waste as much of their time as I can before they catch on.

Hey... It's only fair... ...considering how much of my time they have wasted!

Should I start another thread on being "Over-qualified"?

Heh... I have a how bunch of feelings on that crap...!
  • It makes me feel bad for people who get stonewalled by this thing when they really need a job and their future depends on it.

Me I just wanted some cash while I go to college, and in the end im going the military route which will save me at least for a while from crap like that. but who knows, maybe the generals will decide they need only officers that blindly follow orders like machines, who knows what places in society will be left for people who don't "fit".

Its ironic that those who would by the standard of these tests appear the most risky, are often the same types of people who are the most able to think creatively, adapt to changes, and express the greatest loyalty and honor. The people on this board are testament to that.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    ...all in alllll, you just anutha... brick in the walllll....

~~~~

non-conformity is an anethma to too many people and organisations. It's sad really, so many good minds could be put in harness for everyones benefits if the original. chaotic and creative thinker is properly recognised and appreciated for the power they posess.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Become an academic. Non-conformity is practically a requirement. Except on using linux and latex. :)
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    These personality tests are veiled psudeoscience. I had a wonderful psych prof who gave me a little insight to these tests and what to look out for and manipulate to your favor.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    The interesting thing is if you have taken the test you know how to abuse the answers to get what you want. I fall into INTP with a 100% on the I (as in no responces to lean me toward E).
  • Even the US Navy and some universities use this test.

If you think about it you were trying to go into cell phone sales - they certainly want an extrovert in the position. This test is an easy way for the company to weed out people who wouldn't do so well. You can’t blame the company for wanting an employee that best fits the job.

Was there a question like this: You walk into a room of people – do you:
    Go stand in a corner and size up the situation.
    Go talk to one person/the first person you see who you know.
    Announce your arrival to everyone.
    Turn around and walk out.

For a sales position a person who fits the typical successful sales person type would pick the third one. While I agree the test may be pseudo-science – for this application I think it’s appropriate.
  • Our applicants have the worst time with the test at the place where I work (Hollywood Video). I've had regular customers who I've talked to and by all means seem like decent, likable people, as well as people I know outside of work apply and fail our test. There was a two month period where not a single person passed the test, and corporate won't allow us to even consider hiring someone who didn't pass the profiling test. And I'm amazed at some of the people who do get through only to leave shortly thereafter because they didn't work out. I mean, heck, [I]I[/I] have the highest score on staff currently and I hate the customers more than anybody. lol.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]The one place left in Oakhurst that pays well enough not to have to commute to Fresno, uses a test like this on everybody.[/B][/QUOTE]

That sounds like SierraTel to me....
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    The problem is like croxis said, people who have an understanding of the workings of the test can "throw" their score one way or another.

I know one individual who failed a personality test the first time thhrough, so studied up on them, the next one he took for some place he got through with ease.

And he's a convicted felon, but since his record is sealed he doesnt have to divulge its existance. (he was 14 when he was convicted, and this was before the laws about under aged criminals were tightend up)

He is also a very, very bad person.
  • Konrad, the questions were more based on values than situations. They kept asking wether I liked to help people, and whether I get depressed or feel hopeles in life, I consistantly answered yes and no. They also hit me with questions on wether science or the arts were more important, I think niether are, so maybe that made it hard to judge my tendancies. I did notice that you could sway the test to reflect certain personality types, every answer has a corresponding personality to go with it, extroverted, introverted, leader, follower, objective, subjective ect...

I'm actualy pretty good with people, thats why I thought this job would be good for me. I have a very posistive and outgoing personality, I thought the test would reflect that. Perhaps though there were other qualities they didn't like, either way I applied to cingular today, and they at least will interview me before any test comes up.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]That sounds like SierraTel to me.... [/B][/QUOTE]

:p