Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Picking a Director for JMS' nu project

Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
Ok so lets say JMS is doing a B5 feature film. He's gonna need a director. Who should he pick?

I reckon go with Mike Vejar! Always liked the eps he did on B5. He also did a good job with the couple of episodes he directed in the last season of DS9.

But maybe JMS will like a change after having Mike Vejar on board for LOTR.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• BannerBanner Ranger
    Would be cool getting Mike Vejar to do it. On the other hand it would also be nice to have someone from the outside to try do it. Someone with a fresh view on things.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I sense a campaign:

"Vejar us one more time!"
    "Vejar us, baby!" (?!)
    "We've been Vejared II!"
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I reckon Vejar would be cool to have do it.
  • Mike Vejar is probably the most identifiable B5 director. But maybe somebody new is in order? A fresh approach might be what JMS if looking for after LOTR, which Vejar did...
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Nah, gotta stick with Vejar.
  • BannerBanner Ranger
    If you got the choice of picking a new or keeping the current director for Episode III which would you go for? :p
  • AkrovahAkrovah Ranger
    I think fresh blood. 2 reasons

1) While I love Babylon 5 and the feel of the show, I do not think that a film should feel like an episode ala Star Trek: Generations. Vejar's episodes may be great, but i fear that "episode" feel may carry over into any B5 movie he may direct.

2) Sometimes fresh blood is just what a seiries needs to give it a boost. Look at Star Trek: The motion picture. Horrible, so horrible that when they were making Wrath of Khan they thought it would be their last. Along comes Nick Meyer, someone who barley even know what Star Trek was, all of a sudden, he makes the best Trek film ever and breaths new life into the franchise.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Yes, but Nick Meyer was Nick Meyer, the greatest boon Star Trek has ever had. And he had Harve Bennett with him. Together, they sat in a screening room and watched every single episode of TOS so that Nick could familiarize himself with the characters and feel of the show. Thus, when he started actually working on ST2, he [i]understood[/i] what the show was, what it was about, who those characters were, why it worked when it worked, and (just as importantly) why it didn't work when it didn't work.

For a B5 feature, you really need someone who's familiar with the show. Mike Vejar is plenty familiar with the show, he's participated in some of its greatest episodes, and he's used to working with JMS. I think he's a great talent, and I'd love to see what he could do with the freedom he'd get in directing a movie.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I can understand concern that Vejar might not have what it takes to make the move from tv to the big screen. But he has worked with JMS alot, not just on B5 but also on Jeremiah. He knows how JMS works, thinks etc. I think given the freedom not always available when doing tv shows, Vejar could do a great job. I do think some fresh ideas are needed though. I'd like to see more experimentation with different camera angels/shots. Josh Whedon's FireFly had some very clever and interesting camera actions for space scenes for example.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    I'm also for Vejar.
    for everypoint mentioned, and with him, jms would still be able to do the final cut etc like on TV. With a "Movie"Director, that one would probably want to have the final say, and contract-negotiations would probably be a bit harder....
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Steven Spielberg!!! :D
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Please god noooooooooooooooooo! :eek: :D
  • AkrovahAkrovah Ranger
    Now, don't get me wrong, I love Steven Spielburg. But he is not what B5 needs. We don't need Garibaldi running around with a link digitally imposed over his ppg.

Bekenn, I was not aware that they had sat Meyer down to watch all the episodes of trek first, but it does make sense to let him get to knwo the characters and such. Perhaps i spoke to soon, but something in me still feels the need for new blood.

Plus, making a director with no B5 experience watch the whole show can only add a fan to the rankings;)
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    pick me! pick me! pick me!
  • NorlionNorlion Earthforce Officer
    We need a poll!
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    i suspect it'll be mike vejar.

Why?

because he will listen to JMS and do what he says, in the movie business the director has a lot more clout then the writer and producer. getting someone who knows B5 and has worked with JMS before will make the film shoot run easier.
  • RendererRenderer Earthforce Officer
    Goran Gajic!