Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Something I've wondered about SiL

ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie."London, UK
Ok, B5: pivitol place, where the Alliance was formed and all. So when it is finally decommissioned there are ships from all the major worlds: Minbar sends a Sharlin, the Centauri send a Primus, Narn sends a G'Quan etc....basically all major ships of the line. Why then does the EA only send a Hyperion, and not an Omega, or even a Nova or Warlock for that matter?

Comments

• EclecticonautEclecticonaut Elite Ranger
    Re: Something I've wondered about SiL

I think that all those ships gathered there were also going to be scrapped after decades of service.

Edit: Or not, I doubt they would scrap any of those Whitestars. The Hyperion was probably enhanced with an artificial gravity generator and other ships were on some patrol missions.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    hmmm....not sure i believe that. after all, the minbari still have ships from the last shadow war, 1000yrs ago, in service. maybe some of the former League races, but i wouldnt have thought sharlins, primus or g'quan's would have been retired like that
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    The event may have held more importance for the alien governments. After all, it was Earth that decided to scrap the station in the first place.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The hyperion may have been the nearest ship at the time. It's also the one that has been around the longest and seen the most, much like B5 has seen a lot.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    Or it could be that those were all ships that had common history with B5.
    The hyperion could have been the ship in a voice from the wilderness, the G'Quon the last surviving Narn Capital ship from season 2/3,....
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    yeah, thats possible. maybe its just me, but i would have sent something like an Omega, something a bit more impressive than a hyperion
    Then again, it's just an old space station blowing up.

B5 probably wasn't very big in the minds of EA at the time of SiL.

Remember, B5 wasn't that loved on Earth during the series' run either, as it cost quite a few bucks out of the tax-payers pockets
    true. and in that case sending only a hyperion could be seen as a bit of a snub.:rolleyes:
    or, even another explanation: originally Ivanova should have been there, but as she suddenly "vanished", they had to quickly improvise...
    when did she vanish? wasnt she on the last shuttle out?
    She wasn't really available as a general in Earth Force at that point. Mind you, I seem to recall she was wearing the Earth Force uniform as they left, so she might have been the official representative.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    On the other hand, Zack and the Doc were also in their uniforms, so that doesn't mean much.

Incidentally, on the possibility that the specific ships at the decommissioning were ones that had history with B5, the White Star closest to the station, along side the Hyperion, was decorated with the B5 sword and shield.

Now, of course, this can't be the same ship as the one in the latter episodes of Season 4, as that one was blowed up real good in "Between the Darkness and the Light", and the one in SiL was twice as long. Still, it's either a nice gesture or a big screw-up on the part of the CGI boys, depending on how you look at it.
  • KonradKonrad Ranger
    It's also possible they got around to building those larger class whitestars Sheridan felt the Alliance needed.

That might explain the double size and the logo. No?
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Well, the "larger class whitestars" are actually the Victory-class ships such as the Excalibur.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowDancer [/i]
    [B]when did she vanish? wasnt she on the last shuttle out? [/B][/QUOTE]
    oh, wait... hm... i kinda thought she was on minbar at the time, but i remember now faintly (it's almost 3 weeks since i saw it the last time) that there might have been representatives of each government on the station before it blew up....
    The people there (that we saw) were Delenn, Garibaldi, Franklin, Zack, Ivanova, Vir and Joe.
    yeah, i start to faintly remember that scene... somehow, my brain cut it from the episode...
  • RazorbladeRazorblade Earthforce Officer
    John Sheridan made himself famous when he destroyed the Minbari flagship Black Star. At the time he served in a Hyperion class warship. I don't remember the name of the ship, I haven't watched In the Beginning in a long time.:cool:
    Sheridan's ship was the EAS Lexington
  • Wasn't there also an Olympus class Corvette at B5?
    possibly, tho i cant recall off hand if there was. there were definitly Olympus corvettes in In The Beginning
  • I can't find a screen cap, but in the view of B5, facing the front of the station, there is a Vree saucer among other vessels, and I thought there might be an Olympus there, but I could be mistaken.
    unfortunatly i dont have a copy of SiL to hand so i cant check:(
    I just finished watching all five seasons again and as part of that process I gathered nearly 2500 screen captures. It would appear there is an olympus just past the Vree saucer.
  • Damn, considering the last time I saw that episode was about a year and a half ago, that's not a bad memory. :)
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Additionally, that was the only actual episode where an Olympus appeared (it also was shown in In The Beginning and A Call To Arms). It's a shame. It was one of my favorite EA ships, and deserved to be in more than one episode and two tele-movies.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    More SiL talk....*sigh*

Shouldn't have been destroyed,

'nuff said. Adue.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by David of Mac [/i]
    [B]Additionally, that was the only actual episode where an Olympus appeared (it also was shown in In The Beginning and A Call To Arms). It's a shame. It was one of my favorite EA ships, and deserved to be in more than one episode and two tele-movies. [/B][/QUOTE]

I like the Olympus, it looks a little like a Wing Commander mini carrier from the era of the Wing Commander 3 and 4 games. :)

Personally, I wonder how a Poseidon Supercarrier would have looked in an episode. :)
    bloody awsome is how it would have looked!:D