Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

SpaceShipOne ready for launch

2»

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    That sounds like a seriously reasonable idea.

I *WILL* Attend the first portion of the X-Prize attempt, and will do what I can to attend the second, providing school is not in the way.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Scaled have said they would likely make both XPrize attempts within 1 week.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    By the sound of it, if the craft was still mechanicly sound, they [i]could[/i] make the run in the next day. Refueling shouln't take too long, since its just Rubber and N20... [URL=http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/data_sheets/html/ox_tank.htm]SS1's Hybrid Rocket Engine[/URL]

Jake
    Yeah pretty much. I'm guessing they'd like to take a few extra days to go over the flight data and craft to check for any possibly irregularities.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]Well, hey, let's make it a FirstOnes get-together. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sanfam and I were actually thinking that when we were discussing on Saturday how much we wished we had each planned a trip to the launch a lot earlier. Whether I go or not will depend on how much money I have when they make the announcement 30 days before the attempt, and how much an airline ticket + accomodation + food will cost me at that time. None of those things are cheap, even staying at hostels (ug).
  • If you do decide to go, my advice is to get out there as early as possible. For the launch I went to the parking lot was opened to the public at 3:30 A.M., and by the time my father and I arrived at around 6 there was a huge line of cars. The sun was rising as we walked out to the viewing area (i got some damn good pics of that sunrise, but not of the vehicles. damned crowd and camera.) and there were already too many people out there to allow us to see the runway.

I'm not sure about places to stay. I noticed a lot of Motel 6's and the like in Palmdale and Lancaster, but supposedly everything near Mojave was booked up. Not surprising since the town has a population of around 3,000.

As for places to eat, there are tons of fast food restraunts along the freeway in Palmdale and Lancaster. Whether you want to subject yourself to that....well...

Oh, and in case you don't manage to beat the crowd to the viewing area, bring either a stepstool or a well-charged tazer. :D
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Photo from way up!

[url]http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040625.html[/url]
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    And to think I was on I-40 when all of this happened....

:(
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Random Chaos [/i]
    [B]Photo from way up!

[url]http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040625.html[/url] [/B][/QUOTE]

Tha photo is from the previous test flight, as stated in the description. Also, note that APOD is performing server maintenance all weekend.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Well, something to consider is that i have two decent electric scooters i could bring along to make rapid transport easy :D