Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

College

Being a high school Senior, the_exile has found his attention being, as of late, diverted towards the ever-fun task of searching for suitable colleges to attend. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a fucking clue as to what he's doing, outside of the fact that he aspires to become a writer/novelist, and would like to find a decent school known for it's English program. Any suggestions for this poor, wayward soul?

Comments

• Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    English? Whats that? ;)

As for school picking...most good schools (better half) are very similar in the level of work, quality of teaching, etc. So...look mainly for a school which fits your personality that is in the better half. The better it is, the more weight it carries getting into grad school...but once out in the real world, it doesn't matter where you went for undergrad as long as it was accredited (and has a decent reputation) - it only matters where you went for grad school...if you go for grad school.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    college? whats that? :D
  • This isn't going to be very helpful, but...

[b]The most important thing IMHO in any academic situation is the quality, passion, and enthusiasm of the facualty.[/b]

If they love the subject and love to teach, you will be rewarded. If they are doing it to "get tenure" or "get published enough to ditch this rat hole" or "do the minimum teaching required so I can get back to my funded research".

In grad school, the same applies, but must be balanced with the need to go to an institution with priorities aligned with yours. (e.g. if you are really into doing reseach in a particular topic, it should probably be recognized for research, and have a person or group known for that area)

Don't stress out too much about all that, if you work at it, you can usually find good facualty/mentors anywhere. It will just be much easier (or have greater selection) some places than others.

Remember that I come from an engineering and research background, so I am biased to that perspective. -- :shadow1:
  • Part of the problem is that the_exile has no idea at all what colleges are known for their English programs... :(
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I agree with pretty much everything John said, but I'm from the same background so I guess I would. :) I'm fortunate in that I have an excellent supervisor here who's very well organised and manages an excellent research group despite being the smallest and most expensive in the department.
  • Well, see if you can get into a satellite (branch) campus first (that is, if the school you want to go to has one). It is a great way to slowly work yourself into the college setting without being overwhelmed (especially if you can still live at home). Actually, one of the best things to do is go to a community college for the first year or so, especially if you're not sure. And there is NOTHING wrong with going to one, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I wish I would have.

The next question is: do you want to go to a state or private school? Private schools can be prestigious but [I]usually[/I] don't offer the diversity in courses that larger schools can. On the other hand, you may find that you get "lost in the shuffle" at a bigger school.

Personally, I love going to a bigger school. I commuted to a satellite for the first two years and now I live at the main campus. There is always something going on up here and you can almost always find something to do (and it doesn't have to be drinking). Another benifit of a larger school is you are more likely to find people with the same interests as you, even if you have to look a little harder.
  • Re: College

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by the_exile [/i]
    [B]Being a high school Senior, the_exile has found his attention being, as of late, diverted towards the ever-fun task of searching for suitable colleges to attend. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a fucking clue as to what he's doing, [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL I'm in the same Situation:( I dont know what i'm going to do after high school, All that I know is that i'm staying an extra year in high school to catch up on some coruse that I have missed due to course conflicts:(
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    One more thing, talking in third person in a college entrance essay, especially one for an English degree...probably not a good idea.

Jake
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    That's OK. He said in IRC he only intended to use 3rd person all the time at firstones. :)
  • Au contraire, the_exile is learning to enjoy the change in tense... perhaps the college admissions office would be impressed if he were so involved with his writing that he lived his entire life in the third person? :p

The only college the_exile knows he actually plans to apply to is ZooMass (University of Massachusetts), and then only because everyone in MA does.