Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Being Hacked SUCKS

Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
Ugh, what a miserable 24 hours,

do you realise how easy it is for someone to get all your information? bank accounts, credit cards, website logons, UGH. what a pain in the ass

I'll rant more later... lol

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    What's your security setup?
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]What's your security setup? [/B][/QUOTE]

Right now, i'm using the most secure firewall in the world, its 100% Unhackable.... I've got the machine unplugged from the wall..

other than that, a commercial NAT router/Firewall, it looks like it was a brute force ssh exploit.
    Brute force as in dictionary attack? Either way, I'd better check on my network's security tonight...
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    Got any more information?

Was this on your home network? Are you using XP or Linux?
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Plenty of SSH scans been going around lately, scripts trying to guess passwords of common account names.
    It's a good thing I never got around to allowing external SSH access to my network then.
  • Personally, I'm a big fan of portknocking. You are invisible to port scans, yet you can connect when you need to.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by John Walker [/i]
    [B]Personally, I'm a big fan of portknocking. You are invisible to port scans, yet you can connect when you need to. [/B][/QUOTE]

someone else was telling me about that too, i need to give it a try

at this point, we're not sure if it was an ssh exploit, or a proftpd exploit.

its my home network, and its running Xp, Linux and FreeBSD Unix. the funny thing is, the XP box wasn't the breakin point, it was the unix box, and from there, he got into the xp box.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Well...I am never keeping bank account numbers on my pc, or passwords in plain text. just stupid :)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mundane [/i]
    [B]Well...I am never keeping bank account numbers on my pc, or passwords in plain text. just stupid :) [/B][/QUOTE]

I kept neither on my computer. if someone gets a keylogger onto your machine, then they can just wait for you to type your passwords in. and blammo, they have them

And don't feel safe just cause you use a virus scanner or spyware watcher, neither of mine picked up the one he was using, it was too new. well they DID pick it up, a week too late.
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]I kept neither on my computer. if someone gets a keylogger onto your machine, then they can just wait for you to type your passwords in. and blammo, they have them

And don't feel safe just cause you use a virus scanner or spyware watcher, neither of mine picked up the one he was using, it was too new. well they DID pick it up, a week too late. [/B][/QUOTE]

Dude that sucks, time to start backtracking, so we can find out who he is and dispatch a FO hit team! ;)
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyvar [/i]
    [B]Dude that sucks, time to start backtracking, so we can find out who he is and dispatch a FO hit team! ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Excellent. *grabs his Blackhawk tactical vest*
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    Gah, now where'd that pic of me holding that shotgun go to...