Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

I think...

JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
...my modem is lying to me...

[IMG]http://oakhurst.net/~alien/MISC/modem_lies.jpg[/IMG]

Comments

• Uh.. 6 MB received??

Who's your ISP? I think I want to switch :p
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Yeeech.. old windows. That's almost as bad as seeing old GTK.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    Connection speed between modem and ISP doesn't matter if ISP has too little capacity compared to amount of users.
    (you can be in the end of 1GB LAN but connection works still at 1 MB if that's the speed of LAN-Internet connection)
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    My point is, it is only a 56k modem, and it has been acting bad lately, and now I get this connection speed ... :p

I don't believe it for one bit...

;)
  • Now now, Jack.

The computer would never lie. The computer is always right; it must be user error. The software has been extensively tested. The software has been declared by the board [i]and[/i] the CEO to be bug free. These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move on, move on. :shadow1:
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    Hehehe.....

I used to get some weird speeds as well sometimes back in the days when I still used an old fashioned modems. Of course the actual speed didn't change a bit, just that number there. After I noticed that for the first time I did some testing reconnecting again and again and I got different speeds almost everytime.

But the funny thing is, that with my current 2Mbit ADSL connection I sometimes get really insane peak speeds when downloading something.

Just recently I've had a few superfast downloads which should be WAY out of my connections speed limit. For example I downloaded the other day one file, which was something like 5MB or so and it came literally in a second, or two. I didn't even have time to see it downlading. The download screen just blinked. I was like what the heck.... and proceeded to check if the whole file was really downloaded or not. And it was. And sometimes it isn't just a very short speed peak, but lasts longer while slowly decreasing though. Sometimes still getting hundreds of KB/s after a minute or more downloading already.

I just wish it was always like that, but it's rather rare actually. :)

- PJH
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    you shouldnt be questioning those random numbers that only computer science majors understand.

questioning is [i]dangerous[/i]
  • AnlaShokAnlaShok Democrat From Hell
    That would be your port speed on the system board it's showing. Looks like something is certainly going wrong when it shows that instead of connection speed.

Try reinstalling the modem?

Then again, why bother? modems are dirt cheap these days anyway.
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Talon Mistsong [/i]
    [B]Uh.. 6 MB received??

Who's your ISP? I think I want to switch :p [/B][/QUOTE]

He had been connected for over an hour...6 MB in an hour isn't that amazing.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    And disregard that idea about reinstalling the modem; it's working fine.
  • AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
    Your modem is evolving, there are bound to be strange side-effects when it interfaces with your equipment, don't interfere with it and be amazed at what the transformation reveals.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Alaric [/i]
    [B]Your modem is evolving, there are bound to be strange side-effects when it interfaces with your equipment, don't interfere with it and be amazed at what the transformation reveals. [/B][/QUOTE]

just start worrying when it starts to talk to you
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    Its just reporting the speed of the serial port the modem is running on. Thats normal on some modem models that use generic drivers or weren't configured to report the actual connection speed.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vorlons in my Head [/i]
    [B]Its just reporting the speed of the serial port the modem is running on. Thats normal on some modem models that use generic drivers or weren't configured to report the actual connection speed. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, but normally it shows the connection speed. So, I'm assuming it's the driver/windows having issues.

I'm going to just deal with it for now, since very soon this old machine will be stripped and parts migrated to other machines.

Time to put the Athlon XP machine into full service... :)