Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Calling all advanced coders

2»

Comments

• BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by John Walker [/i]
    [B]This smacks of an include order or independent compile with different options...[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. I just wish I understood what was going on, because now I've compiled most of the rest of the code; I'm stuck on a .dll that uses this module as a dependency. The .dll is having the same type of problem compiling, but I can't tell if that's linked to me trying to use the release version of this module in the debug build or something else.

[QUOTE][B]I took a quick look and I couldn't find the "don't use the new override" option I spoke of. I'm sorry that I don't have any "real" time to work on it for you. :( [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, thanks for looking, anyway.

[QUOTE][B](Just ask Biggles about the B5 AI doc) :([/B][/QUOTE]

Heh... I remember.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN[/i]
    [B]I can write decent stuff in HTML, JavaScript, PHP, Perl, and Cold Fusion and with MySQL and ODBC databases. Beyond those.. My head hurts...

Oh and give me a C-64, and I can whip up some mean BASIC with pokes and peeks... [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm the opposite. Math or physics or some other weird algorithm? No problem, give it to me. Design a web page? Wha..?
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]Oh and give me a C-64, and I can whip up some mean BASIC with pokes and peeks... :p [/B][/QUOTE]

Remember Simon's Basic? That was pretty neat. It was easy to do vector graphics stuff with it.

Ahhh.... good old days.... :D

- PJH
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]I'm the opposite. Math or physics or some other weird algorithm? No problem, give it to me. Design a web page? Wha..? [/B][/QUOTE]

I can handle a simple webpage, and maybe the underlying system of a complex one, but I much prefer maths or physics algorithms to laying stuff out on a page. :) I agree with John about pointers, too (I'm sure Bekenn also does even if he won't admit it). For my research, though, I care about results, not performance, so I do it in Python (although that's also partly because I'm actually altering the language and C/C++ compilers are pretty nasty internally). But for my home projects (no, I'm not going to tell you what they are) I care about performance so I write in C++. That's where I get to have fun with pointers. :)
  • Yes Jack, it work it is a lot of C++.

... but there is also a lot of tools work; and more of my time (as a %) is spent on tools and support scripts than on the game code itself.

For example, on Larry I would guess that about 30% of my time was tool coding. Yes, some of that was in C++, but it was also in VBA (exporters from Excel, mostly), VBS, .bat, Ruby, and Perl (in that order). For our next project, we are using C# whereever we can for the tools, but there will still be VBA, VBS, Ruby, and .bat. If I were to guess now, I would predict that my time will be more like 40-50% tools work vs. game code work.

Ruby: If you haven't heard of Ruby, check it out, it rocks. Think Python with easier object creation / extension with Perl's powerful regular-expression handling thrown in. There is also a sweet "pass code as parameters" setup which while not quite "equal to Lisp", actually rivals the power of Scheme/Lisp "macros" while preserving a syntax style understandable to folks from a C++/Python/PHP/Perl background (unlike Lisp/Scheme). Add an active community, a super XML manipulation add-on, several good choices for cross-platform GUI bindings (wxRuby - wxWidgets is my fav) absolutely cross platform, bindings for things like SDL, OpenGL, etc. and you have one awesome little setup for anything by the highest performance applications.

I'm not trying to rip on Python, Perl, PHP, or anything else. Since I only know a little PHP and no Python or Perl, learning Ruby made perfect sence [b]for me[/b] since I saw Ruby as a good way to get many (but not all) of the advantages of both Python and Perl without having to learn two languages.

Ruby is Free (libre) Open Source Software (FOSS).

Ruby:
    [url]www.ruby-lang.org[/url]
    [url]www.ruby-doc.org[/url]
    books:
    [url]http://www.rubycentral.com/book/[/url]
    [url]http://poignantguide.net/ruby/[/url]
    one click Win32 installer:
    [url]http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinstaller/[/url]
    add-ons:
    [url]http://rubyforge.org/[/url]
    [url]http://raa.ruby-lang.org/[/url]

:shadow1:

p.s. There are even Apache mod's for Ruby to use it as a replacement for PHP embedded in web pages...

<?ruby ...
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [B]Yes Jack, it work it is a lot of C++.[/B][/QUOTE]

You do know I was joking with ya right?
    ;)

[B]Ruby is Free (libre) Open Source Software (FOSS).
    p.s. There are even Apache mod's for Ruby to use it as a replacement for PHP embedded in web pages...

<?ruby ... [/B][/QUOTE]

Methinks John is evangelizing Ruby to them thar Web type people... ;)

:D

BTW, FOSS means something entirely different to me...

As in Christopher Foss, one of my all time favorite Sci-Fi artists...

:)
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]I agree with John about pointers, too (I'm sure Bekenn also does even if he won't admit it).[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, I love pointers. Lots of fun. I thought that was implicit in my statements of above.

John: Yeah, I think [url=http://www.lizard.lizardlounge.com/zbs/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RCD&Category_Code=RGCD&Store_Code=ZF]Ruby[/url]'s great, as far as galactic gumshoes go. Seriously: check it out if you can. They have a QuickTime stream on that site.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Ruby is a great language, as is Python. They've better for different tasks though, I think. Ruby is the ideal language to replace Perl and Lisp.