Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Russia converting Fascism :(

[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=574&ncid=574&e=9&u=/nm/20041029/wl_nm/russia_regions_dc_1[/url]

looks like the terrorists are winning. :mad:

Comments

• Reaver4kReaver4k Trainee in training
    Meh...
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Simmonds, if you don't have anything to add to a discussion, don't feel the need to post.
  • An ex-SquidAn ex-Squid Elite Ranger
    Getting back to the subject...

No surprises there, given the fact that there never really has been anything remotely resembling democracy in Russia; the end of the Soviet Union hasn't changed that at all, as the governments of most of the countries created from its ashes have been just as corrupt and inept. What's really ironic is that the Communists are whining about this, since this is similar to what they did to maintain control when they were in power.
  • its sad Russia could have been a great example of Democracy but all its reforms have been to slow & its leadership as you said is inept aka Boris Yeltsin in the 90s. A few of the countries that splintered off from Russia itself are even worse Belarus is still to this day run by the same guy that came into power in 1992. I guess Russians don't like change.
    Well it is interesting that, as the article says, nearly half of the people in Russia support the changes and a lesser quantity are against them. If the Russians are happy with the changes, we can hardly complain.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    It would be the first time a large group of people happily and enthusiastically did something that was sure to turn out badly for everyone involved, plus a few innocent bystanders.
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Unfortunately, I think it would be one of the many times that this has happened :( Sounds very unfortunately that indeed "the terrorists are winning"... You know I really dont understand terrorism, you know the mentality that "I have a cause that is extreamly important (and it may be) so lets kill a bunch of innocent people to attract attention to the cause!" Do they really think they can get sympathy to their cause by killing innocents?? Anyways, enough of my rambling. Sad to hear about this in Russia...
    I agree with rhett. Large groups of people are amazingly short-sighted.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    I wonder if there's a sunset built into that bill....

Elections in Russia have hardly been smooth and free since the fall of Communism (when there were no elections at all); there's a lot of strong-arming by people in power, whether it be government or mafia. With the right person selecting governors, ensuring that the process doesn't get too caught up in petty squabbles and bickering, and installing people who are less likely to take bribes, this could actually be a first step towards instating [i]real[/i] elections some years down the line.

That might be how Putin sees it.

But it's not the right way to do things. Absolute power has this nasty tendency to stick around long past the expiration date.
  • Reaver4kReaver4k Trainee in training
    My friends dad said that you could just walk in and "Remove" Putin and take over, and the russian people would not give an rats ass.
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    What no one else seems to realize is the extent of corruption in Russia (and most of the other nations that were formerly part of USSR).

You have to understand that regardless of this change, people's impact on policy-making of their country is severely limited.

Option 1 (pre-change) - The majority of the population has no say in what's going on because the vast majority of regional leader elections are rigged.

Option 2 (post-change) - The majority population still has no say in what's going on because all regional leaders are appointed by Putin. But at least with option 2, given that there's a centralized force behind choosing who the governor should be, there is a better chance to drive changes/improvements for the locals.

So... bottom line... any election process that truly matters will be rigged. It seems that "Western media" (I think you know what I mean) likes to focus on second- and third-world country elections as an example of how bad things are elsewhere in the world, and how great things are in a democracy.

In my opinion, this is simply a diversion, keeping people from realizing how corrupt their own governments and election processes are (yes, including the US of A). Just look at y2k elections as a perfect example.

1) There were significant irregularities in the process of vote counting that favored the Republicans in certain critical swing states that shall not be named.

2) Even though over 50% of the nation voted to elect Al Gore, Bush was still the one who came to power.

3) Electoral college is such a foolish idea... in the beginning it worked well because the idea then was that it'd be comprised of people of considerable intelligence who could override the stupid votes of the many, if necessary. In the early days, there were no President/Vice President tickets. Many people ran for president. The top pick would get to be it, with the runner-up being the VP. This insured that America was governed by the most capable people available at the time. But now Electoral college has become a joke, simply another partizan tool that serves no purpose. It should be done away with.

So yes, I'm incredibly cynical about the election process -- I think that democracy in its current form, in America, has very obvious limitations. We need to do better. Now with that said, I am still a citizen, and I am going to vote, even though I have no illusions about who really gets to make the decision (and it's definitely not me).
  • Anyone ever notice that Putin has a dead arm...Well it doesn't move ever think its the right arm.
  • Mr. FuryMr. Fury Earthforce Officer
    At least its not the right arm. And no, I haven't noticed such a thing.
    [url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/041029/photos_wl/mdf740064[/url]