Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

gmail problems

Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
hmm.. anyone else having problems with gmail from google?

It's just for the past few days (since the virus) I havent been able to login there to check my mail. Cookies are enabled as well as java. But it just stops at a white screen after logging in.

Would email the gmail staff but they dont seem to have email to be found at gmail.google.com

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    It works fine for me, so it probably isn't a problem with their system. Have you tried in different browsers?
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    explorer and mozilla.
    Have to go to library to check it out tomorrow i guess..
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Oddly enough, my roomate had the same problems...until his computer ate itself this last weekend.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Check your HOSTS file; make sure it's not set to redirect gmail requests to any specific IP address.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]Check your HOSTS file; make sure it's not set to redirect gmail requests to any specific IP address. [/B][/QUOTE]

How do I do that?
  • Mr. FuryMr. Fury Earthforce Officer
    Search for "HOSTS" file and then edit it with a text editor. The one in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc is a sample file though. Edited one should be in your Windows directory if my memory serves, in fact there should be no other than the sample file.

And use ad-aware AND spybot search & destroy to remove any known malware from your system.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    The one in the system32\drivers\etc is the actual hosts file. It just has a ton of comments in it. You can delete all the comments if you want to. Also check the lmhosts file (same dir) - this shouldn't have anything in it besides comments (unless for some reason you need it on your network - rarely is needed though).

**Comments in both start with #
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Another possibility is that your browser is out of date... I know that I have had problems accessing gmail from school with older browsers.
    Nothing in the hosts files, all done with ad-aware and spybot..

And I dont think I've downgraded my browsers in a while either for that matter.

I mean.. gmail did work for me some three or four days ago atleast.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rhett [/i]
    [B]Another possibility is that your browser is out of date... I know that I have had problems accessing gmail from school with older browsers. [/B][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lord Refa [/i]
    [B]explorer and mozilla. [/B][/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

At any rate, Win9x has its hosts file in a different location than NT/2k/XP.

Win9x: Its in your Windows dir.
    WinNT/2k/XP: Windows/System32/drivers/etc
    Isn't the Win9x one hosts.ini?
    no .ini. It's just hosts
    Nothing in any of the hosts files about gmail or such..

aah.. Maybe I need to update java or something?

The whole pc has started acting slow for some reason again.. Could it be my hd that's causing the trouble? Been running scandisk and all but to no effect.

And at library now. the whopping pc ain't loading even to the gmail.com.
    Well...several things are possible:

Corrupted DLL as a result of the virus
    Corrupted browser as a result of the virus
    Corrupted install of some support program for reading websites (say Flash, Java, etc) due to the virus
    Other things...

I'd try reinstalling the browser (if it is Mozilla and can actually be easily reinstalled). I'd also look arround and see if I could find any other sites which used to work and don't work...to try and find a common factor.
    say.. anyone got a direct link for the newest version of java?

Been trying from java.sun.com but with no luck.. the ones I've tried downloading have messed up somehow...
    Dude, its time to do a format and re-install if things are b0rking up. Its just going to get progressively worse.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]Dude, its time to do a format and re-install if things are b0rking up. Its just going to get progressively worse. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yea.. figured as much.. aww crap... there goes my weekend off.
    You know Vertigo - I have never understood why "reinstall" seems to imply "reformat" to so many people. You can reinstall Windows without reformating. In fact, I find it preferable - about 2/3rds of my programs will run with a brand new registry without reinstall, plus you don't lose all your data. I really fail to understand why people reformat so much...
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Random Chaos [/i]
    [B]You know Vertigo - I have never understood why "reinstall" seems to imply "reformat" to so many people. You can reinstall Windows without reformating. In fact, I find it preferable - about 2/3rds of my programs will run with a brand new registry without reinstall, plus you don't lose all your data. I really fail to understand why people reformat so much... [/B][/QUOTE]

Guess I'll give that a try then...

Reformatting if I need to spank the devils out from my hd..
    [B]You know Vertigo - I have never understood why "reinstall" seems to imply "reformat" to so many people. You can reinstall Windows without reformating. In fact, I find it preferable - about 2/3rds of my programs will run with a brand new registry without reinstall, plus you don't lose all your data. I really fail to understand why people reformat so much... [/B][/QUOTE]

Have you ever done a deltree on the windows dir, which is what you really need to do before reinstalling to get all the crap out? It takes hours!
    Usually, I just...you know...rename? :D

That way, you still have your files in case you want them.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Aye, deltreeing the Windows directory can indeed take some time. I've done it many times....
    Well...I usually just do the following when installing a new copy of the OS:

Win9x/ME:
    Rename OS dir and delete win.com (this makes windows not find it when searching for previous installs)
    Install new copy of OS in new DIR

WinNT/2k:
    Install new copy of OS in new DIR (no need to rename - you can have multiple installs of these OSes)
    Make sure c:\boot.ini to references both DIRs

Then later on, once I find that the new copy is working properly, I will Deltree on the old DIRs :)

I have also been known to boot in DOS and xcopy the windows dir for backup purposes before doing major changes to hardware...just incase the drivers get all screwed up I can always revert
    I usually formatted because I wanted to clear out the Program Files dir as well, since that also accumulates crap. Due to the way my partitions were always set up, removing both windows and program files doesn't leave much on the OS partition so formatting was the easiest method.

Umm...most programs (especially newer games) will act screwy if they loose their registry keys they set when installed. You're going to have to install Windows again, so why not have a clean drive to go along with it? Its simple enough to backup what you need, and install it later. Furthermore, depending on how fast your drive is, and what version of windows you have, deltreeing the Windows dir can take anywhere from minutes to hours.
    As a note: deltree in command prompt goes very fast usually. Avoid the Windows GUI one at all costs ;)

As for programs...I have a LOT that would be hard to install again (lots and lots of freeware/shareware that I use regularly). The problem is hunting down the CD I backed them up to...I have too many CDs to find. I finally organized most of the files onto 3 DVDs...but I still am missing some...

As for how my system is set up - I do have most of my data on other drives and partitions. Actually...my programs files are spread across 3 partitions and 2 physical drives (it is supposed to be 2 partitions...but I goofed...then it was too late to fix it). If you want to see...

[IMG]http://www.vorklift.com/temp/drive_setup.jpg[/IMG]

Note that J: also has a program files dir - thats the mistake one ;)

C: is FAT32
    All others are NTFS with dynamic drive linking. Originally G and F had seperate program files dirs, but when I created an entire partition for that data I pointed both those dirs to the new partition.

Since C: is my boot drive, my OS drive, and my older programs and data files drive, it is the only one of my configuration that most of the stuff on it is not registry dependent...and also the hardest one to hunt down the reinstalls for.

--RC
    I use a simpler system of separation where all programs except games (very data intensive) are stored on the OS partition, so (since they are dependant) they are kept and wiped together. I have all my regular programs that don't have their own CDs on a single DVD. To help more, now that I run WinXP I don't need to reformat constantly (unless, of course, you include SP2 in the equation :)). Here's my organisation:
    C29.9GBOS/Programs
    D29.9GBCurrently empty - I reorganised partitions recently and haven't found a use for this one yet
    E100GBMedia, also has my swap file as it's a different drive from C
    F86.3GBData - random data including games, code I've written, models, etc
    F14.5GBDocuments

Yes, I'm an organised freak. :)
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Random Chaos seems to have everything covered from A: to Z: ... :p

:D
    To show where I actually store my stuff:

Total/Free: 284.89/129.43GB

Total/Free space on:
    C: 55.9/12.86GB
        Most of this is taken up by the OS, a couple big older games, and my older installed programs (8 GBs of programs)
    F: 40/30.47GB
        This is mostly taken up by the game Treadmarks and data backups
    G: 36.33/21.71GB
        Here 6 gigs is taken up by downloaded installs that I have yet to burn to CD. The rest is driver backups, 7 ISOs that I need to burn off, and a few games
    J: 47.71/23.46GB
        Almost all of this drive is my data...My Docs, Images, Renders/Models, Web Pages, and the few CDs I own that I encoded to the hard drive. The rest is a few misplaced programs that got installed on the wrong drive.
    Y: 57.25/10.11GB
        Recorded TV shows thanks to my TV tuner :)
    Z: 47.71/30.83GB
        Lots and lots of installed programs (and games) - up to 86 directories now! (Though nothing like my C:\Program Files that is at 159 dirs...though C: has less space used on disk for programs since they are older smaller programs!)

Note something that might not be clear: F:\Program Files and G:\Program Files actually are dynamic pointers to the Z: drive - so the Z: program files directory is the root directory of the drive.