Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Flatout...

I don't know who else had seen this game, but all I can say is this:

It's my new favorite racing game.

Picture cars used in destruction derbys, but racing. Add in a physics based damage system, and the same physics engine that powers Half Life2/Max Payne 2...and you have a fully interactive racing enviroment.

So, for instance, you can slam into another car and really warp the front of your car as well as their car, and it looks right. Shoot, you might just lose your hood/bumper.

Or that wood fence that keeps you on the track...sure, root it up by plowing through it.
Don't like that bilbord? Take out one of the support beams!
Got a bunch of stupid cars on your tail? Nudge that big pile of logs stacked up along the edge of the road and block their path. (Or, sometimes use that pile of logs as a jump for a shortcut. careful though, move a few too many logs and you lost your shortcut)

Or, perhaps the best example, was me going ~200kph down a dirt road, going into a powerslide at those speeds, and slamming the side of my car into a phone pole. not only did I almost take out the pole (It was at a 45* angle) but it was in the CENTER of my car. Not a glitch like most games, it actually bent the side of my car that far. :D I was stuck of course, had to respawn to keep driveing.

The driver is a hoot, ragdoll when you manage to get into an accident that throws the driver from the car, avoid trees. (Or aim for them for the virtual hilarity of a ragdoll being thrown at about 150kph through a forest...)

I've yet to finish a race with my car intact. A simple 3 lap race...heh... :D

car near start of race...
[img]http://img.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/2134/146695_full.jpg[/img]

car in middle of race losing some parts:
[img]http://img.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/2134/146697_full.jpg[/img]

Yes, there IS a demo. :D

[url]www.flatoutgame.com[/url]

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The log is going [b]through[/b] the wheel. :D
  • heh, there are occational clipping errors, but they ARE rare. :D

the highjump is fun...hit a ramp and eject the driver...see how high you can fling him. :D

my best single shot was 112.64 meters, with an overall of 323.48 meters

:D
  • Its also on fire.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I've played the demo, pritty cool game. :)

Maybe it could be fun at a LAN party.
  • something else impressed me about this game...

those screenshots look horrible BTW, no where near the quality of in game..

but I run at 1280x960, 2x AA, 16x AF, and the game is smoooooth as can be. no FPS dips at all...even when cars are flying apart as they tear apart the suport beams holding up 50 logs...it's amazing
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Yep, FlatOut's been advertised in the media quite a lot recently. Not a big surprise, it being another Finn-made game and all...

From what I hear it's pretty good... too bad I'm not into racing games. But definitely interests me more than Rally Trophy back in the day, so I'll probably check this one out when it hits the bargain bins. :) And it WILL hit 'em. ;)
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    I just downloaded the demo and it rocks! One of the best car racing games I've played. Now I need to get the full version. :)

And yeah, the highjump is lots of fun. So far only barely reached 80m, but I'm practising. :D

- PJH
  • Mr. FuryMr. Fury Earthforce Officer
    I like NFS Underground 2 more. :p
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Bah, bargain bin...

Support an amazing company. Buy it fresh from the factory! :D
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PJH [/i]
    [B]I just downloaded the demo and it rocks! One of the best car racing games I've played. Now I need to get the full version. :)

And yeah, the highjump is lots of fun. So far only barely reached 80m, but I'm practising. :D

- PJH [/B][/QUOTE]

My highjump record is 114m
    108 here. I must buy this game!
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    Damn, how you people get that much? I've tried everything a hundred times and only rarely reach 79-80m at best. :rolleyes:

- PJH
    What I try and do is, with an automatic...
    at the launch pad, spin around until I'm all the way against the wall, facing the ramp. gun it, then lay off the gas. wheels grip, and the car lunges forward. once the front wheels leave the second red zone...I press control, and release at full.
  • my best is 117.4

:D

(For a single jump)
    I hate you. I'm having trouble breaking 100 lately. I don't know what I did.
  • I just drive full throttle with a couple of letoffs until the second red carpet, then punch the nitros. :)
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    This game hasn't been released yet, has it? I haven't seen it in any stores in the US.
  • So much fun watching the driver hanging off of that fence by one leg, slowly sliding down. :D

But for my sudden relapse into Civilization III obsession and the impending release of Half-Life 2, I'd definetely buy this for PS2.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by samuelk [/i]
    [B]This game hasn't been released yet, has it? I haven't seen it in any stores in the US. [/B][/QUOTE]
    Well, it atleast released here in Finland.
    EXILE! Want to join in on a Civ3 massivesuperultrafun game? You! Me! My old roomate! Some other person! (maybe)

HOURS of fun until the celts and Vikings develop ICBMs and CRUSH ALL OF HUMANITY!
  • I tried an internet game with a friend the other day, but my stupid internet kept dying on me before we could get beyond the Settings screen.

I'm also fairly terrible at Civ III, but if my 4.5mbps connection stops maxing out at 500kbps and starts acting like Broadband, then I can't think of any way I'd rather waste my college essay-writing time. :D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by the_exile [/i]
    [B]I tried an internet game with a friend the other day[/b][/quote]

You mean when you should have been writing your novel? ;)

[quote][b]but my stupid internet kept dying on me before we could get beyond the Settings screen.[/b][/quote]

It's a sign that you should have been writing your novel.
  • got the full. (Did I mention ebay rocks?)

Full...Game...ROCKS.

played Lan with my neighbor. (Yes, thats right! Once you finish the CD check you can plop it in another PC to load!)

lan play was very fun. :D