Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Confirmation of mostly new cast for movie...

I sent an email to Patricia Tallman's fanclub asking for confirmation from her on whether or not "all our favorite B5 characters [were] in the new theatrical film being produced." and this was her reply...

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 8:35 PM
Subject: Re: Need Pat's help...

Marc --

From Pat:

<

Comments

• Sorry it didnt post...this was her reply...

"They are using mostly new, I don't know of any on the old cast who has heard anything. I saw they were recasting Galen the techno mage."
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shakiroz [/i]
    [B]Sorry it didnt post...this was her reply...

"They are using mostly new, I don't know of any on the old cast who has heard anything. I saw they were recasting Galen the techno mage." [/B][/QUOTE]

this is what i thought was goin to happen, using a new cast, NOT recasting new actors in the old roles.

i still think that this has been blown way out of perportion,
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    Exactly. This folks is a prime example of why you should wait for proper intel before going on a crusade.
  • Trust me people, this is NOT what I and Jan have had confirmed within the industry. The original cast is in it and they are trying to recast. You are falling for their trick. They don't want you to complain so they can say there were no complaints.

Do you honestly think JMS would even write a script that didn't have as many of the cast in it as possible? Come on.

Again, I wish I could tell you how I am so sure of this...but I can't...and I know there's no reason to trust me, but I really do hope you will.

Most of the fans have begun to believe and send out letters. I beg you to join us before it's too late.

I simply don't know what else to say to convince you. I am frankly dismayed.

CE:(
  • rikuriku Earthforce Officer
    I hope it wont be a Legend of rangers type of movie that the only known charcters was gkar and for brief 2-3 scenes and he was just a side-charcter. But if Galen is a main charcter I hope it's gonna be good enough.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by colonyearth [/i]
    [B]I simply don't know what else to say to convince you. I am frankly dismayed.

CE:( [/B][/QUOTE]

The only thing you could do is actually back yourself up with REAL evidence, which you have yet to do. Its time to put up, or shut up. We're not gullible lemmings dude.
  • Okay CE, even if they area able to pull something like that off quietly so they could say there were "no complaints" they would have to realize that there would be a hell of alot of comlaints when the movie is released, so it ammounts to little difference for them. Even the "no complaints" claim does not hold water as not a single person has said that they would be okay with changing the original cast, only that they have nothing wrong with new characters and that the recasting of Galen is not that big a deal(I don't agree with that, but I acknowledge the necessity)
  • It would be quite a disapointment not to have the original cast, I mean can you imagine the first Star Trek movie without Kirk or Spock?!

But I am totally against re-casting Galen, if he's not available then create another character but since I'm watching Crusade on DVD, I'm thinking he owns that character and can't be replaced.

Btw, has anybody seen GhostShip which was directed by the director of TMOS, was it any good?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Vert, read [url=http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?postid=121052#post121052]this post[/url] before you post in any threads regarding this matter again, please.

colonyearth: It may be disappointing that you can't convince everyone, but I'm afraid that's life and you'll just have to accept it. Just as there are crackpots out there who will firmly believe NASA is in cahoots with the Marshians who are building hidden cities on Mars, no matter what you say, there are people who won't believe the rumours about this without absolute solid proof. That is up to them. Don't go around saying "But it's true and you'll only have yourself to blame when they change the cast!" or similar, because that's bordering on saying "you're all traitors to jms and the cast!" and only serves to annoy people. Just ignore them and continue giving information to those who accept that it may be true.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shakiroz [/i]
    [B]It would be quite a disapointment not to have the original cast, I mean can you imagine the first Star Trek movie without Kirk or Spock?![/b][/quote]

Yes, but remember that not everything revolves around Sheridan and co. They don't have to be in the picture all the time. Take the "Bo and Mack" episode for instance. We got to see a couple of the people behind the scenes doing the dirty work while Lochley stood around barking orders. Then theres "Legend of the Rangers" with G'Kar. He didn't play a real pivotal role (other than talking to Sheridan about the future of a certain ranger that actually had some tactical sense), and pretty much stood out of the way of the crew while they got things done. Theres a whole galaxy of people out there to pick from for a cast. Just because its set in the B5-verse doesn't mean they HAVE to use Sheridan & co. Sure, it'd be nice if they could atleast be seen ala cameo style, but thats life I guess.

[quote][b]But I am totally against re-casting Galen, if he's not available then create another character but since I'm watching Crusade on DVD, I'm thinking he owns that character and can't be replaced.[/b][/quote]

I agree that Peter shouldn't be recast without a good reason. He played that part very well, and should be given priority for the part. However, the recast decision could have very well been a scheduling conflict with Peter, and since JMS and WB didn't want to wait for his schedule to clear up (assuming that he's working on another project), I guess we'll have to live with who they pick to play the part. We'll just have to trust JMS to pick someone just as good to play the part.

As for you colonyearth, you're not doing yourself any favors by making posts how we're betraying the entire B5 fandom because we're not convinced that you're right and that we should "storm the gates" so to speak. You have to understand that we don't really know you. I want you to sit back, and look at it from our POV. A new user shows up and posts something as if it were the end of the world, with his/her only credibility being that he/she is a respected member on another board. I hate to tell you, but thats not really going to cut it here. I could very well do the same thing, and link to my profile here as my backing for why I should be trusted. However, that doesn't really establish any credibility. Just because you're a respected member on a completely different board doesn't mean that you're right. Hell, I could have a frelling [b]MASTERS[/b] degree on film making and that still doesn't establish any real credibility when pushing a rumor that has yet to be confirmed [b]or denied[/b]. Now if it turns out to be true, I'll be one of the first ones to be making calls to WB as well as sending multiple letters expressing my concern just like I did to Scifi when Farscape got canned.

That being said, you said earlier that a few friendly letters can't hurt. Thats partially true. They can hurt if they start coming in by the buckets just because a rumor got leaked that may or not be true. That could cause them to ignore us [b]should[/b] it turn out to be true. I highly suggest we wait to see whether or not its true. We don't need to WB to see us as a bunch of rabid fanboys that will jump the gun at any bit of news that doesn't cator to our views.
    But Vert, [i]we[/i] don't trust you. :p
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]But Vert, [i]we[/i] don't trust you. :p [/B][/QUOTE]

yeah, how many times now did I post something alarming that actually turned out to be true? (hint: everytime, and it was only after it was confirmed to be true) I try not to jump the gun. :D
    Ok, here's an idea dude. If you really want to settle this whole thing, and get some people here to "join the cause", name somewhere we can meet (preferably a restaurant somewhere in the Wolfchase area), and bring what evidence you have. If what I see adds up, then I'll be happy to vouch for you.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Vertigo, as stated in the other thread about this subject, if you don't believe it, fine. But others do, and arguing about it will not make things better. You don't see any evidence? fine. Until you have something substantialto add to this discussion, please leave it.
  • An ex-SquidAn ex-Squid Elite Ranger
    Let's wait until we hear something a little more concrete before starting the bitchfest, shall we? If you have factual information on the subject, please share it; otherwise, take the rumormongering, namecalling, speculation, etc. and shove it into the manure pile where all of that belongs.

I don't mean to be nasty here; I just don't give a rat's ass for the unecessary bickering and lousy attitudes that some people have displayed here lately.
  • Believe as you will, folks. I hope you realize, if you've bothered to learn more at other sites and read the threads I've mentioned, that you are in the minority.

JMS, BTW, has posted two more responses to people and has yet to even acknowledge this "rumor" as you call it. Does that not make you at least wonder.

And yet, every new piece of info coming out, contains no mention of the original cast, yet three independent sources state they are in the film. That should be suspect.

Read the writing on the wall. Or don't. I'm just glad that the rest of the fans are stepping up en masse.

I know none of you know me here, but if you bothered to find out more about me and the others who broke this news, then you'd perhaps be a bit more...well, accepting. But I guess that's just too much to ask.

CE
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by colonyearth [/i]
    [B]JMS, BTW, has posted two more responses to people and has yet to even acknowledge this "rumor" as you call it. Does that not make you at least wonder.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

well it makes me wonder, but mostly because in the past, when there has been any sort of a problem, he's always found a way to let us know.

You may be right, For all i know you are, but you can't just pop into a place, with no proof, not knowing anyone, and have everybody instantly accept what you say as true,

Please see my reply to you in the other thread.
    [url]http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?postid=121149#post121149[/url]
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by colonyearth [/i]
    [B]Believe as you will, folks. I hope you realize, if you've bothered to learn more at other sites and read the threads I've mentioned, that you are in the minority.

[...]

I know none of you know me here, but if you bothered to find out more about me and the others who broke this news, then you'd perhaps be a bit more...well, accepting. But I guess that's just too much to ask.

CE [/B][/QUOTE] I'm also an unknown quantity for you First Ones, but the current controversy brought me here.
    I didn't come before because of the same thing that is happening: I also wouldn't believe in someone coming out of the blue sky saying it's falling.
    But I don't want to see a rift develop between this place and the JMSnews.com forums, we all are Kosh, we all are fans of B5.
    I understand also the reluctance to wade through tens of pages at other forums to find the information. And also I understand that there would be reluctance to go through having to learn about and find out more about strangers.
    In that respect I hope that Colony Earth (whom I know from the JMSnews.com forums and is also know at the B5TV.com forums) will realize that he might be asking too much of you.

I know you also have no reason to believe in me, but please let me summarize some things:

We know that JMS had intended at least some of the original cast to be in B5:TMoS, hence the re-writing of the script after Richard Biggs death and the statement that he wouldn't be recast.

Some fans learned rumors that the studio wanted to have more "well known film actors" instead of the original "TV actors" and broke the news out of real concern, and somewhat reluctantly since there was no real verifiable information. Other fans were able to get confirmation of such rumors.

JMS hasn't denied the rumors, as he usually does.

The latest "leak" from the studios only mentions new characters, plus Lochley and Galen, which might not be bad, but those with insider info say that Sheridan, Delenn and maybe others will be in the film.

Those leaks indicate that both Lochley and Galen might be recast and do not mention anything about other known characters and their actors, suggesting that they may want to recast them.

The studios can't confirm or deny anything at this stage since it's only leaks, no official announcement yet, this also ties JMS hands.

I think most fans would actually prefer to see the series actors reprise their roles, as long as they are in the script and can take the role.

By the time there's an official announcement any recasting decision would have been made and no letter writing campaign may change that.

Which is why some advocated writing letters and others, like me, have supported that campaign, even if it's all based on unnamed sources, information leaks and rumors. It's not about complaining, the suggestion is to write letters saying something like: thank you WB for the upcoming movie, love B5, love JMS writing for it, love the original cast, would love to see them again, I've seen rumors of a recast, hope they're false, would love to see the original cast.

Many have also said that if Woodward is unavailable it would be acceptable if the part of Galen is recast. But the concern is that Sheridan, Delenn, Londo, etc. might be recast, and no one has been able to deny that concern.
    No one is suggesting opposition to new characters, and many people have remarked that the letters should be polite so that they help show interest in the project.

I think that whether the rumors are true or not writing a letter helps B5:TMoS to become a reality.

Thank you for your attention.
  • shakiroz has it exactly right. It's impossible to have a Star Trek movie where Kirk or Spock or Bones
    are played by anyone other than the original actors, and in which their characters play anything
    other than starring lead roles which are central to the story and get plenty of screen time. The Star Trek
    fans would simply not accept anything else.

Why would WB be stupid enough to think that Babylon 5 fans, which are some of the most dedicated
    series fans you will ever see, would be any less determined to have their favorite characters portrayed
    by only the actors who have always portrayed them and to have those Babylon 5 characters
    have the central lead roles in the movie? That's what a *Babylon 5* movie IS, a movie which features
    the characters we all know and love getting involved in all sorts of interesting and dangerous
    adventures and playing the primary roles in that story.

If they make this mistake, they will pay in a vast amount of lost sales at the theaters and in video sales.
    I know I won't watch it if it doesn't meet the above two conditions.
  • Long-time lurker, but only registered now to post this.

The fact of the matter is that it IS likely that either the original cast will be featured in the movie and just don't know it or cannot say it, or the new movie simply will not have them. In neither of these cases does a letter campaign to WB have any effect other than to increase the chances that any of the OTHER possible stumbling blocks to brining the project to fruition are overcome. So that's a win.

In the unlikely event that the original charactors are being considered for re-casting, however, a letter saying to WB "Thanks for the movie, and I look forward to seeing the original cast in their roles" costs very little and just might have a postive effect. So that is a win.

In any case, as has been noted, the cast will be signed to contracts before any official announcement is made, and so the decision to wait for the official announcement before considering any action is really the decision to wait until action is futile before taking action...= no action. If the fans decide after the official announcement is made that they won't tolerate the recasting and stay away from the film, that increases the chances that WB will decide that there isn't really a B5 fan base out there and stop the B5 franchise after a single "failure." That is a loss.

Fans who decide to wait and see will kick themselves if it turns out that the rumors were true and they sat on their hands. So that is a loss.

The choice is win-win or lose-lose. Winning costs a trivial amount of time and postage. Losing risks the franchise. Make the cost-benefit calculations yourself. If you do you will write the letters without waiting for "official word" (whatever that means) or "proof" (whatever THAT means). I am not frenzied fanboi and that is what I did.
  • The huge sales of the Babylon 5 DVD sets proves beyond any doubt that there is a large dedicated
    fan base for Babylon 5. But that also means serious fans who expect a big screen Babylon 5 movie
    to be done with respect for the series, which includes using the actors who have portrayed these very
    characters since the beginning. Anybody with any sense in their heads knows that the fans are going to
    expect and demand that their favorite characters be played by the same people that have always
    played them. And it also means having the main characters from the series also be the main characters
    in the story line of the movie. There obviously will be some new characters, but they should be
    secondary to the Babylon 5 cast, not in place of them. Just like it was always handled in the series.

This shouldn't even be up for discussion. It makes you wonder what kind of simpletons work
    for these studios when they don't even understand something as blatantly obvious as this.
    Why would they even consider doing it any other way? Are they that ignorant of what fans expect?
    And if so, why do they work in a company who's job it is to give the fans what they want in
    situations like this where an established t.v. series is going to a big screen movie for the first time?

And, by the way, why isn't JMS himself directing this movie? He did a great job directing the series,
    including several feature length t.v. movie episodes. He's perfectly capable of directing it and
    anyone else who does it will not know the characters like JMS does, which means this other guy
    will direct them in a way which is not accurate to the subtle nuances and quirks of each character.
    This fact alone will make the movie have an inconsistency to the unique feel of Babylon 5 that we know so well.
  • JMS WROTE most of the series, and he is writing, has writen the script for the film, however, if i recall correctly, the only episode he ever directed was Sleeping in Light. And I do not think that he directed any of the TV movies.

I agree though that this shouldn't even be in the realm of thought, but i really wouldn't put it past a studio like Warners.
  • Well, even if JMS didn't exactly direct all the episodes, he had final say over how things were done.
    Will he have final say over how this movie is shot and how the scenes are handled? Will he be right there
    overseeing the filming, making sure everything is done right?

Also, maybe they could get one of the fellows who directed many of the B5 episodes to be the director,
    someone who knows and understands Babylon 5. That would be better than some director who
    has no real idea what he's doing.
  • There is a casting call out, which might be the closest to an official confirmation for now. You can find it here:
    [url]http://www.hollywoodnorthreport.com/article.php?Article=754[/url]
    And, if you scroll down to Dec.13, here: [url]http://www.myentertainmentworld.com/mew/audition_newlisting.html[/url]

Those list Doug Netter as Executive Producer and JMS as Producer (both were EP for the series). The "demotion" of JMS to just producer, instead of exec. producer may be due to Netter's larger experience. It might be only a matter of studio politics, I wouldn't be surprised if Netter deferred many decision to JMS.
    In that respect I think (hope?) that JMS will have enough input.

As for having the series directors for the movie, we had that discussion at the JMSnews.com forums, back when TMoS was first hinted, to summarize: those with more knowledge of the film industry stated that it's very rare for TV directors to jump to film, partly because both mediums are quite different in scale and scope, partly because of an elitism from the film industry that gives less respect to TV. That made it seem too unlikely to have Mike Vejar or Janet Greek or others from the series nominated to direct the film, and it's become true. (BTW, Colony Earth was one of those that let us know how the industry works in that discussion).

The named director seems an unknown, which might not be a bad thing as long as he's competent and has some love and respect for B5. Hopefully he will be a fan and understand the show.

Back to the info on the links: that does seem to indicate that the storyline would revolve around new main characters, which might be good to introduce the story to a new audience, and gives the possibility of "high profile" stars in those roles, if the series characters are in supporting roles it makes it all the more baffling that the studio would want to recast them, as the rumors (still undenied by JMS or anyone else) state.
  • JMS is listed in industry listings as Producer and Writer of TMoS. JMS, himself, did not direct any of B5, CRUSADE, or LotR, or the TV movies, with the sole exception of Sleeping in Light.

And while it was an experience for him to direct, his basic view of it was that it wasn't his cup of tea.

Given that JMS is the writer/producer, I would hazard to guess that he will be a major player in the overall production of TMoS.

Gladly, Doug Netter is also listed as Exec. Producer, so I have faith that once these recasting ideas are tossed aside, they will both do everything in their power to make sure TMoS is true to B5 and its universe. After all, from what my source has said, that's exactly what JMS is doing now...fighting to make sure that TMoS is what the cast and fans expect it to be....great.

I think he deserves our full support.

CE
  • [QUOTE] He teams with the feisty Diane in his investigation -- and he comes to feel real tenderness for his human ally. [/QUOTE]

God, I hope this doesn't hint at a Galen/Diane love story thing. that just seems to me like it would be very inconsistent with what I know of Galen.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I hate to say it, but the story so far reminds me of a TV episode rather than something for a full feature film...

:(

Time will tell I guess...
    I'm with Jack. But, we still don't know that much about it, so hopefully it'll seem better when we know more.
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Just gotta have some faith here... time will tell.
  • -Marty--Marty- Earthforce Officer
    Jms replied today onthe casting situation:

[url]http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17259[/url]

Decide for yourself what this means.
    I think this is all we'Re gonna hear from him on the situation for some time.

Cheers,
    Marty