Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Battlestar Galactica (spoiler warning)

13»

Comments

• Are they playing BSG reruns at all? I'm only episode one at the moment, and I don't think I'll be able to obtain it through the [URL=http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7689]BitTorrent[/URL] anymore.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Capt.Montoya [/i]
    [B]I'm loving the new BSG...
    Quite gritty and realistic drama.
    It could use some better technical advising for the science in the fiction but overall it is quite good.

As an example for the episode "Water" Spoiler: I'm thinking that once water is exposed to space it would freeze, so some of it could be recovered, also when they go into the exploded tanks they should have found some ice. A simple line in the debriefing part when they say how much water they have left saying "we recovered as much as we could from the frozen debris but that still leaves us with only enough for a few days."
    Additionally, with the water escaping it should have acted as a sort of rocket, moving Galatica sideways at least a little bit, I didn't notice the ship move an inch.

It is indeed good to see SciFi moving back into good science fiction instead of monster movies (which I never watch). [/B][/QUOTE]

Spoiler: Actually the water would boiled off straight to a gas before it could have frozen. And given a ship the size of a Battlestar, I doub't the force of the water being projected into space would have moved the ship much, and its likely navigational thrusters would have automaticly adjusted to keep her on course. Actually I found the used of a limited water supply as a plot device to be unusually insightful for a sci-fi show.
  • (Having seen only miniseres, ep's on TiVo awaiting time)

Warning: spoiler city ahead...

Personally I was wicked happy with the RCS usage and dogfight scenes.
    1) The whole sequence where Starbuck lines up to "dock" with Apollo's viper: sweet! RCS puffs everywhere, never straight, tweaking and adjusting course all the way in... plus the big fly-over maneuver to get way in front of him. Coolness. I'll probably get framed for this, but I could almost fell Ron Thornton's influence: "No, the physics is wrong. Do it again."
    2) Combat was fast and deadly with lots of volley fire, waves of missiles, etc.
    3) Space-planing was at a minimum. Did you notice how the Cylon fighters are always doing a fast attack run then flipping over? I also saw Vipers doing "circle strafe"; another thing you can't do with space-planes.

I also loved the scene where the Mk 5 squadron loses power.
    1) The leader didn't know anyone else had lost power until one of them bumped into him.
    2) The fighters just sort of slid along with drifting heading and position bumping into each other every once in a while.

As far as the drama and acting goes, I'm always willing to give the actors a season to get their "sea-legs". SciFi is tough to act: you can't see the CGI you're sharing the scene with, hear the effects, etc.; there is lots of made up language, lingo, etc.; and there's makeup, funny clothes, funny sets, etc. to goof up your rhythm. We also can't forget that all SciFi series can (usually) affort is inexperienced, out-of-practice, or otherwise non-"in their prime and in the groove" dramatic actors.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    You know, many of the BSG Team ARE (as far as i understand) Ex-FI guys that worked on the Brian Singer-Tom DeSanto Project.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The spoiler tag is Spoiler: .
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]The spoiler tag is 'spoiler'. [/B][/QUOTE]
    Thanks Biggles. Did I break something?
    p.s. Spoiler: All your base are belong to us.

And here's a spolier for anyone with the non-US-PC version of Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude
    Spoiler: Start the ConfigUtil from the command line (or make a shortcut) but add two command line arguments... if that doesn't work, try three. :) Unfortunately, I didn't get this easter egg into there in time for the US-PC version.

RubberEagle: thanks for the info. It doesn't surprise me one little bit.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by John Walker [/i]
    [B]Thanks Biggles. Did I break something?
    doesn't surprise me one little bit.[/B][/QUOTE]

No, I just thought you'd rather use a nice small tag than all that font stuff. :)
  • I have not seen an TV action/drama this sharp sense...well, truly, since Babylon 5, probably!! I've seen some of the original on Sci-Fi, but didn't watch it very much. I thought it was pretty hokey, having been raised on TNG, SeaQuest, and B5. But I am pleasantly surprised by the new BSG. This is the first show in a long time that I have actually watched 'from the edge of my seat', literally!!

I can't WAIT for it on DVD...and now I've decided that I'll try and get the mini-series soon too. I've been snooping around the internet, and all I've found so far is the European release date on Play.com: March 28. Does anyone have any clues as to the North American release (US in my case)?

Also, a question: (spoiler) Spoiler: In episode 7, Six Degrees of Separation, Six apparently shows up on the ship as a human trying to call-out Baltar. At the end of the show, she 'vanishes'...Adama looks down, sees some spectacles and says "She didn't just vanish..." I don't understand what was implied here? Was she just a figment in all of their heads? if so, how could they have gotten the disc? OR, was he saying that someone else helped her escape the ship? Any insight? Thanks.

I think the characters have a lot of life. Edward Olmos (Cmdr. Adama) and Mary McDonnel (Pres. Roslin) provide veteran anchors for a fresh cast. The filming is raw, gritty, and unforgiving. The combat scenes are the best I've seen since B5 and S:AAB. The use of dogfighting manuveurs and weapons harken back to the skies of WW2, always a dramatic approach.
    Anywho, yeah, when's S1 comin to DVD in America? Cheers!
    Spoiler: Well, i don't think the Six-Thing has been explained yet, though I always took his comment and the glasses as proof that she [i]wasn't[/i] just an imagination/hologram, because she left something back

As for the Combat scenes: there's some truly great stuff in episode 10. Feature film material ;)
  • That makes sense, Eagle. Thanks for the comment. And I totally agree with you on Ep 10!! It was intense!! Matter of fact, it's been intense every time they put us in the cockpit!! Wonder if anyone is thinking about giving a BSG game another shot....
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    The miniseries is on the shelf. My shelf that is, I caught it at best buy 2nd week of Jan 05.

Im thinking someone helped her off the ship, and his she didnt vanish statement is him wondering if she a. planted anything or b. commited some act of sabotage.
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]Yes, he wrote Star Trek, but keep in mind [i]which[/i] Star Trek: he's one of the main reasons DS9 kicked so much ass. [/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Berman is such a fool :)

-R.
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RedAssAg05 [/i]
    [B]I can't WAIT for it on DVD...and now I've decided that I'll try and get the mini-series soon too. I've been snooping around the internet, and all I've found so far is the European release date on Play.com: March 28. Does anyone have any clues as to the North American release (US in my case)? [/B][/QUOTE]

The miniseries was released on DVD just prior to the season 1 premier in January.

Here's a link for you:

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00064AFBE/qid=1107580491/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-6019959-0935351?v=glance&s=dvd[/url]

-R.
  • oops, I think I've misrepresented my thoughts...I'm curious about the Season 1 release in US. I've seen the miniseries DVD on store shelves...just can't afford to spare the 15-20 bucks right now...a man's gotta eat!
    I suspect that they'll release it shortly before season 2 starts...
  • I just watched the season fanalie (Sorry sci-fi it's just too good of a sieries and I have a broadband connection).

I'm speechless, this is the best Sci-Fi since B5 and has the potential to surpass it.

Warning major spoiler for ep 13 Spoiler: When Boomer shot Adama I damn near jumped out of my seat, and the whole Cylons being pregnent thing is facinating. Throw in the coup and the arrow thing, and man I need the second season NOW!
    Ive watched all 13 too, it was just too good not to watch.

Spoiler: I know, I did the same thing. Totally did not see it coming and then she shoots him a second time. Im in front of my computer flipping out and then we see "To be Continued". I fell outta my chair! Its just unreal how good that show is.

I will storm scifis headquarters if they dont renew this thing.
  • [SPOILER]and it also puts a nice little touch on the prophecy of "a dieing leader will lead the people to earth"[/SPOILER]
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RubberEagle [/i]
    [B]
    As for the Combat scenes: there's some truly great stuff in episode 10. Feature film material ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

No doubt man. I'm glad they aren't holding back any in that department.
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    There sure is. I was really surprised and delighted to see what they had done. Quite fancy and remarkable stuff. Especially that Lee Adama's performance, which was superb. :)

- PJH
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SpiritOne [/i]
    [B]

I will storm scifis headquarters if they dont renew this thing. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'll be right beside you
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I am already prepared to storm the building.

[URL=http://www.das-entertainment.com/gallerythingy/images/armoury.jpg]Link[/URL]

Worf
    you know worf I really expected a
    [IMG]http://store1.yimg.com/I/anviltree_1823_341874[/IMG]
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Actually I propose that we send a letter to Scifi.

The letter would be written as follows:

[QUOTE]We have enjoyed the first season of Battlestar Galactica and eagerly await the second season. However, if you decide not to continue the series, we will have no choice but to create an army of ******* clones and send them to storm your offices. Thankyou.[/QUOTE]

Worf
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by WORF [/i]
    [B]Actually I propose that we send a letter to Scifi.

The letter would be written as follows:

Worf [/B][/QUOTE]

No! We should build intelligent, sentient battlerobots! I propose the name "Cylons" for them!
  • So Say We ALL!!
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    By your command.

- PJH