Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Firstones: The Great Machine Wiki

Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
Since some people tend to ignore anything but Zocalo I want to point you all over to the newest B5 goodie:

[url=http://tgm.firstones.com/wiki/Main_Page]The Great Machine![/url]

We are looking for content still, though quite a few pages are done.

Also check out Sanfam's thread in the [url=http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7704&goto=lastpost] News section[/url]!

--RC

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [url]http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7707[/url]
  • I am curious as to the selection process:

MediaWiki vs. TWiki vs. Instiki vs. ...

We use TWiki extensively at work, several of my buds use TWiki, but I've been tempted to Instiki by the ease of configuration.

Comments?

"Need in-put!" -- Number 5
  • I really hate Instiki for being so aesthetically unappealing. Then again, I've never had to set a Wiki up. ;)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Well, we like mediawiki, and phpwiki sucks big time. That was about the limit of the selection process. :)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Not quite, Biggles. :D I considered Instiki, but as with Exile, Its appearance and style did *NOT* mesh with me. I thought it was frickin' ugly and a bit tedious to use. TWiki just didn't appeal to me, either. It was...blah. And PHPWiki was awful. So I tried MediaWiki, and it didn't work. I tried it again and it didn't work. So I tried PHPWiki, as it didn't need the thing that broke MediaWiki, and it really sucked. So I tried really hard to make mediawiki work, and this time it *slightly* worked. So thanks to Defiant, MediaWiki fully works. :D
  • PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    So you're saying you made The Great Machine 1 with MediaWiki but it blew up...So you made The Great Machine 2, and it blew up. As did The Great Machine 3 based on PHPWiki, and Four had problems and vanished, but with some tweaking by Defiant, The Great Machine 5 will stay.

• Thanks for the selection summary. I know severl people who know TWiki (including how to customize the look), so I haven't heard anything amazing enough about the others to make me want to use anything else at home. I know noone who knows MediaWiki, so your horror story of setup for TGMW is enough to keep me away. ;) Often the deciding factor in these things is having access to someone who can help you when you (inevitably) get stuck.

TWiki is no joy to setup either, particularly if you want security. (I have a 3-page 10 point ASCII document of [i][b]TWiki "Quick" Setup (not) Instructions[/i][/b] to prove it). I was hoping for "Instiki is amazing!" to help me feel good about wanting to learn it. Oh well. :shadow1:
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Well I have to say sticking MediaWiki on my development system (this comp running Win2k with IIS4.0) was really, really easy. Though you did have to change the prefs file so it actually found the directory, but that I suspect is normal on all systems.

It took me all of 5 minutes to install and set up before it was working. Of course I did not customizing (basically I just want access to it on my Lan for dropping reference data on for stuff I'm working on).

Oh - and my development system is my main desktop that I do all my work on. Next to it sits a laptop. The laptop is the one that I plan to use to bring up the content of the wiki on. And it works fine. (Though it took me another half hour today to set up directory permissions so that outside comps can't access the Wiki) - damn IIS4.0 for 2kPro doesn't allow IP restrictions so I had to password the dirs. Grrr. If I had the FULL version of IIS4.0 I could do it. Why do they not allow IP restrictions on the Win2kPro version? Thats about the only time you would really, really need it to block outside-the-lan access. Stupid MS.

Of course it was easlier to set up since I already had MySQL and PHP installed on IIS for other dev work.
    purple :) :) :)

--RC
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    you could get apache for windows ;)
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Actually, I have it downloaded somewhere. I just like the ease of directly sharing directories :)