Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

rant, rant rant rant rant rant

Comments

• MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]Understanding is the answer. [/B][/QUOTE]

Nono. Understanding is a three edged sword.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [B]To give you an indication of how serious I am about that book... provide me with a mailing address and I'll send one to you.

If you buy it yourself, its likely to be the best 20 or so bucks you ever spent.

You might even uncover some uncomfortable truths about you and your wife and (gasp!), your daughter may have a couple valid points. Nobody's perfect, not you or your daughter.

Understanding is the answer. [/B][/QUOTE]

How DARE you suggest that i'm not perfect!!! :)

what was the book again, my wife works at a bookstore, so i can have her order it, and get a 25% discount, woo hoo.

i do appreciate all the advice. we've tried sitting her down and talking, but she's unwilling to.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    IF i were one of her friends i would kick her very hard, then ask/demand what is she trying to get or prove or get out of all of this.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    The problem with friends are that they are most often more willing to offer support than good advice. And thats the best thing with friends too.. :D
    You don't want me as a friend in that case :D
  • My friends and I do nothing but put one another down. Then again, most of us are former Counter-Strike players. :D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    You finally broke that habit, huh? :D
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]You finally broke that habit, huh? :D [/B][/QUOTE]Long time ago. :)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Messiah [/i]
    [B]The problem with friends are that they are most often more willing to offer support than good advice. And thats the best thing with friends too.. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

yep, thats why friends are a blessing and a curse,
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    I'd be willing to bet that if shes unwilling to talk that means she knows she has a weak hand to play, she prolly cant find any justification for her actions and hence she doesnt want to be put in a position where she has to.

Two ways of playing that :

1) Call her on it. "You dont want to sit down and talk to us because you don't think you're going to be able to justify or maybe even find the funds to pay for your actions."

Thats a dangerous apporach, ripe with confrontation because you're making her look like a fool, even if she is indeed being one. If she's genuinely mature she'll take that on the chin, if not, she'll prolly rant and huff and walk... I'd only try this if you haven't got anything else to play, because it may lead to her throwing a long overdue tantrum and come out the otherside with some more understanding. No 'age challenged' person wants thier parental units to be right, thats just wrong...:)

2) Dont give her the opportunity to escape scrutiny. Write her a letter and put in in her hands.

Once again, throw her a bone, (with a string). "You've obviously made your mind up, against our wishes and preferences and put us in a very difficult position. You're asking us to compromise what we believe to support you in your choices. You're asking us to surrender some of our values to accomodate yours. Fair's fair.
    Here's what we will not allow you to do, point blank.

Make a list of stuff she cant have... but make sure theres an equally long list of stuff she can have... provided she presents a damn good arguement for having such rights or privledges.

I dunno... straight out bribery perhaps ? A seperate bathroom ? Dont most girls her age hate sharing such spaces ? Whatever... just make sure she pays for it with grades and attendance..:)

Kids do respond to justice.

The book :

Please Understand Me II (two)
    David Keirsey
    ISBN : 1-885705-02-6

available direct from :

P&N books
    Box 2748
    Del Mar
    CA 92014

760-632-1575
    fax 858-481-0535

or :

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1885705026/qid=1118801885/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-5561980-4162259?v=glance&s=books&n=507846[/url]

remember, the book is as much a tool to pry her open as much as anything else. In order to sucker her into reading it and doing the analysis herself, you need to do it first. I'd be willing to bet that you sitting down and subjecting yourself to a little mapping of your mind would make her sit up and take notice. You're going some extra miles, maybe way out of your comfort zone for her. If she's a half way decent kid she'll see that and she'll respond. By offering her the chance to see the inside of your head in a different way may indeed pique her curiousity enough for her to kowtow to the 'olds' just so she can get another couple levers to work on you with..:)

I'll put even money on her being some sort of 'Artisan'... you'll quickly learn what 'Artisan' means in the book. In a nutshell... you've been 'blessed' with one of the most rebellious types of people out there... much rispeck to you if indeed she is, cos you've already earned your stripes as parents getting her this far.

Good luck :)
    [B]I'd be willing to bet that if shes unwilling to talk that means she knows she has a weak hand to play, she prolly cant find any justification for her actions and hence she doesnt want to be put in a position where she has to.

Good luck :) [/B][/QUOTE]

thanks for all the advice, she is going to NYC tomorow, and unless I pull in favors from the local police, i've no way to stop her, she has however told her mother that she will call to check in when she gets there, and she has not indicated if she plans on coming back in 10 days liek she's supposed to, she has told her boss (a friend of mine) that she'll be back, so there is that.

we're also going to call all her friends parents in NYC and let them know exactly whats going on.

Its a tough situation any way you look at it.
  • JohnDJohnD Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]we're also going to call all her friends parents in NYC and let them know exactly whats going on. Its a tough situation any way you look at it. [/B][/QUOTE]

It still amazes me that you're not allowed to prevent her from running away to NYC because of the law. _NYC_ of all places.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JohnD [/i]
    [B]It still amazes me that you're not allowed to prevent her from running away to NYC because of the law. _NYC_ of all places. [/B][/QUOTE]

its those annoying things called human rights:rolleyes: if you ask me they've gone a little to far in how they can be applied
    Well, it's that whole question of when someone is considered an adult and thus responsible for themselves in the eyes of the law. The problem being that you can't blanket apply a single age to every kid.
  • MTMT Ranger
    Have someone take her to McDonalds and ask if she wants to spend the rest of her life there or another five years or so in high school and a university.

Less like telling her what to do that way.
    The problem is if said aunts supply the daughter with money. If she has any dreams with her life you may want to play on those.
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    You made a child at 15 years of age???

And you wonder what's wrong with TODAY'S teenagers???

Heck, I'm at your age myself and I couldn't even imagine having a child who'd be a teenager already. 15 year old people are still just childs themselves.

- PJH
  • Reaver4kReaver4k Trainee in training
    heh.. She sounds like someone I know.. Differnt Situation of course..

I never "Skiped" class. I would just get my mom to phone me in sick for the day, Mind you I only did it once or twice a month, and on days where theres nothing to do at school.

Anyway, Teenagers are stupid.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PJH [/i]
    [B]You made a child at 15 years of age???

And you wonder what's wrong with TODAY'S teenagers???

Heck, I'm at your age myself and I couldn't even imagine having a child who'd be a teenager already. 15 year old people are still just childs themselves.

- PJH [/B][/QUOTE]

Umm there are other ways of getting kids other than making them yourself you know, like marring someone with one.
  • Or buying them in a mall ;)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Peter vonFrosta [/i]
    [B]Or buying them in a mall ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

No way, those mall kids cost too much, never pay retail, buy them at a warehouse... like thailand
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    I sware Firstones needs an official stalking service / detective agency.

You know to handle these situations.

Man, I was terrified when my friend went off to NYC and that was just for grad school, she's fairly good common sense wise but as a petiet asian female she tends to radiate "victomize me!" and attract perverts.

Maybe you could talk to the NYC contingent of FO's maybe some of them have ideas about local resources you can utilize to make sure she doesnt get wrapped up in anything stupid.

And if she Does, Sanfam, Curz and I already have plans drawn up for these kinds of situations! Were looking at specilizing in "extractions" and "counsiling"
  • Reaver4kReaver4k Trainee in training
    Yeah, I know how good you advice is><
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]No way, those mall kids cost too much, never pay retail, buy them at a warehouse... like thailand [/B][/QUOTE] Wouldn't recommend that, you would never know if your girl really is a girl ;)
    Reaver. are you pissed at us because we told you to dump the psycho?

You dont understand, our goal is for something resemling a HAPPY Reaver, and the only way to have a HAPPY Reaver is to have a much less fucked up Reaver

THE PSYCHO BITCH WOULD HAVE JUST MESSED YOU UP MORE!!

which is bad mmkay?

plus you got girls in your city, district, province what ever to work with.

Crap Entil'Zha I suggest we just send your daughter to stay with Reaver for a week or so, THAT should scare her back into the complete security of home.

If not make her slightly phobic of people :P
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyvar [/i]
    [B]our goal is for something resemling a HAPPY Reaver[/B][/QUOTE]When did this happen? I certainly wasn't notified.
    It hasnt happend yet, thats why were working on it.

We like taking on impossible odds.

And this is all in the fun of #firstones the IRC channel. go, observe, enjoy!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Reaver4k [/i]
    [B]Yeah, I know how good you advice is>< [/B][/QUOTE]

Out advice is fine, it's your desire to not follow it that's the problem.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by the_exile [/i]
    [B]When did this happen? I certainly wasn't notified. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's what you get when you stop coming to the channel. :)
  • AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by the_exile [/i]
    [B]When did this happen? I certainly wasn't notified. [/B][/QUOTE]

This is what happens when you skip the weekly meetings to go out and play nude croquet. :D
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]Umm there are other ways of getting kids other than making them yourself you know, like marring someone with one. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, got to say I didn't think of that, but still having a 17 year old kid at 32 sounds a little odd to me, but sure there are those who marry older people who have kids. So how old is your wife? Close to 40?

- PJH