Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

He's Dead Jim, James Doohan "Scotty" dead at 85

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/20/obit.doohan.ap/index.html[/url]

[quote]LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- James Doohan, the burly chief engineer of the Starship Enterprise in the original "Star Trek" TV series and motion pictures who responded to the command "Beam me up, Scotty," died early Wednesday. He was 85.

Doohan died at 5:30 a.m. (1330 GMT) at his Redmond, Washington, home with his wife of 28 years, Wende, at his side, Los Angeles agent and longtime friend Steve Stevens said. The cause of death was pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease, he said.

The Canadian-born Doohan fought in World War II and was wounded during the D-Day invasion, according to the StarTrek.com Web site. He was enjoying a busy career as a character actor when he auditioned for a role as an engineer in a new space adventure on NBC in 1966. A master of dialects from his early years in radio, he tried seven different accents.

"The producers asked me which one I preferred," Doohan recalled 30 years later. "I believed the Scot voice was the most commanding. So I told them, 'If this character is going to be an engineer, you'd better make him a Scotsman.' "

The series, which starred William Shatner as Capt. James T. Kirk and Leonard Nimoy as the enigmatic Mr. Spock, attracted an enthusiastic following of science fiction fans, especially among teenagers and children, but not enough ratings power. NBC canceled it after three seasons.

When the series ended in 1969, Doohan found himself typecast as Montgomery Scott, the canny engineer with a burr in his voice. In 1973, he complained to his dentist, who advised him: "Jimmy, you're going to be Scotty long after you're dead. If I were you, I'd go with the flow."

"I took his advice," said Doohan, "and since then everything's been just lovely."[/quote]

:(

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator

Worf
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by WORF [/i]
    [B]:(

Worf [/B][/QUOTE]

Sad, but not quite so sad, He's been very sick for quite a while now. Alzheimers sucks.

At least now bones has somoene to bitch about spock to..
  • Warp drive finally gave out :(

Hasn't this been a bitter season for actors I like. Tim Choate, Richard Biggs, Jerry Orbach, now this :( :( :(

"From the stars we are born, to the stars we return. Now until the end of time."
  • Rest in peace, mate.

Scotty was easily my favorite character when I watched TOS as I was growing up. It's sad to know he's no longer around.

Regards,
    Morden
  • ArethusaArethusa Universal Cathode
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I'm glad they had a farewell dinner for him a year or so ago, and that he made it to a fine old age, but still a great loss.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]Sad, but not quite so sad, He's been very sick for quite a while now. Alzheimers sucks.[/B][/QUOTE]

i hate to say it, but i think he's better off now. my gran died of something similar and it wasnt pretty or nice. its still a sad day tho:(
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Just saw the news, sad day. He'll be missed.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    "Computer? Hello computer?" Easily one of the best scenes of Trek.
  • AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    "Scotty" has been beamed off the "ship" now. :(

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Messiah [/i]
    [B]"Computer? Hello computer?" Easily one of the best scenes of Trek. [/B][/QUOTE]

Got to agree. Made me laugh. I just watched the film the other day.

Coincidentally I've been downloading and watching a lot of Trek lately. All 10 movies + directors cut of the "The Motion Picture" and 3 seasons of TNG plus I've been watching TOS from the TV every weekday.

- PJH
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    Here's another article from BBC: [url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4701167.stm[/url]

- PJH
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist

One more to beam up...
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    "Beam Me Up....God!" -- William Shatner character on Family Guy
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Messiah [/i]
    [B]"Computer? Hello computer?" Easily one of the best scenes of Trek. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, that is one of the funniest trek moments, right up there with Checkov asking the cop where to find the "Nuclear Wessels" and with Worf's classic "Captain, i must protest, i am NOT a merry man!"

..."A keyboard.. how quaint"
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [url]http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20050724[/url]
  • Scotty will be sorely missed. Heaven has gained a great engineer,
    and I look forward to seeing him there. :)

The word is given, warp speed!