Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

I hate mondays....

7am...get up

8am - accounting class. When called upon for a question somehoe forget the terms "Balance sheet, asset, and liability"

9am: Drawing 2. Get kicked out of class (Along with a 3rd of the class) for showing up unprepared because the teacher failed to tell us that when she said "I suggest going online to find examples of this" what she ment was "If you don't go online and PRINT OUT and BRING TO CLASS examples of this, you will be marked absent". That was my first absence since kindergaten. 16 years of perfect attendance down the drain.

1pm: Get a C on a graphic design assignment, along with the rest of class, because the teacher didn't tell us kerning text was important, nor how to properly kern text to his liking.

2pm, go to Gym for stress relief, and NO KICKING BAG. They got rid of it.

GAH.

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Dude.

You need to find a new school or something. It seems you've had nothing but problems with this one.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Dude.

You need to find a new school or something. It seems you've had nothing but problems with this one. [/B][/QUOTE]

sounds like what i used to hear from my daughter "The teachers hate me" "They didnt tell me to do this" "they didnt tell me to do that"

sorry that yer having a bad day,
  • Well...Design 1 (summer course) was supposed to be bad...it was.

dunno about the rest...it's actually unusual to have so many bad teachers at once...
    (Accounting is just me...and 8am...I don't wake up until 10)

oh, and I've only had one teacher that hated me, and that was because I...ahem...made it known I knew more then her on the subject, which I did...
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    My school is so freaking weird. I hate the school. My professors hate the school. Everyone I know hates the school. But the staff themselves are smart and friendly. And so are many of the students. We're all united in our hatred of this place.

I am now embarking on my a third philosophy course with my favorite professor, a man who seems to have a limitless stockpile of anecdotes. On top of this, my day now starts as early as 4pm, as late as 6. Not gloating, but I just find it amusing how the schools vary in their ways.

Seriously, though, perhaps you should consider transferring to another school?
  • My school's looking pretty cool, despite the fact that I'm the smartest person on campus. >.>

Dennis Brutus teaches a few ethics and poetry courses, which is incredibly cool.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    Kerning not important !?!?!

Dude...

sit down and design a typeface. I mean really design it from the ground up. Learn what a typeface really is. Learn why kerning pairs are the difference between a font and a 'collection of shapes that should be a typeface'. It's the difference between a wanker who'd like to be a designer and one whom is.

If you properly understand what type is... the rest of graphic design as a discipline is cake.

I'm on your lecturers side. Unless you can show some modicum of typographic skill and sensitivity... find another industry. I guess your lecturer has assumed too much. Perhaps they are Mac based where typography is usually much eaier to manipulate. (This is still sadly true, PC's still mangle type unless you absolutely ride the bitch into doing as you wish... and it still sometimes spits the dummy when you ask it to do too much kerning and leading and baseline shifts).

Master type.

Do it. Drag Sanfam along for the ride. He's yet to prove to me he can make type walk on a leash for him.

I'll help you both if you wish.
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    Whats kerning?
  • My Monday stank too, maybe something with the solar flare things or something or anougther
  • kerning is adjusting the space between indevidual letters.

To the best of my ponderings, the only definition I can find is that the people that make fonts are all idiots and require the graphic designer to Kern between each and every letter...

of course, none of this was said in class...teacher just told us where it was and that he wanted us to use it...which I did, just not to his liking I suppose.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]kerning is adjusting the space between indevidual letters.

To the best of my ponderings, the only definition I can find is that the people that make fonts are all idiots and require the graphic designer to Kern between each and every letter...

of course, none of this was said in class...teacher just told us where it was and that he wanted us to use it...which I did, just not to his liking I suppose. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's all part of the job of the typographer. Well, not all of it, but fonts with massive kerning libraries are...well..massive. And expensive. On top of this, kerning isn't always the same at all sizes or in all uses, meaning you, the designer, need to individually adjust the kerning to suit the needs of your project. Also, this should teach you an important lesson: Never assume something isn't wanted/demanded/required of you just because it isn't stated. Those are possibly the most dangerous of all assumptions. And even if you did it for the heck of it, the worst case for you would be no grade loss whatsoever, or if things go your way, an improved grade for having taken into account such aspects of design that were not requested of you.
  • Mondays are ok for me. I only work 2.5 hours at my part-time job at a chemists and the rest of the day I spend either on the Internet or reading for my second year at Bristol University. (I'm on leave at the moment and will be until October when I restart.)

On that note, Bristol Uni's great. (The campus is only 25 minutes walk from my house.) All of the other students I've met are nice, and most of the Professors are bloody good at what they do, especially Ronald Hutton, the guy who took me for British Revolutions. (Saw him on TV 2 days back dressed as a 16th century merchant.) :D

Really looking forward to going back. :)

BTW: A#, that teacher sounds like a complete pendant who obviously didn't want to take responsibility for the glaring ambiguity of the instructions she set you. You're obviously made of better stuff, just keep at it.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]kerning is adjusting the space between indevidual letters. [/B][/QUOTE]

Between characters, it's call "tracking", but between two characters, it's "kerning". It's true when you have two characters closer together than normal. Kerning makes certain combinations of letters, such as MW, TA, WA, and VA look better, for instance.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]To the best of my ponderings, the only definition I can find is that the people that make fonts are all idiots and require the graphic designer to Kern between each and every letter... [/B][/QUOTE]

Even if I'm a graphic designer, I've never had the opportunity (or a real good reason up to now) to design my own custom fonts. But I know it certainly not a simple matter.

We are far from the days when we only had "Helvetica" and "Times" font type. Today, there is a myriad of "fonts". Some quite beautiful, some ugly as hell with no purpose of useability whatsoever!

But with that growing number of different font sizes, shapes and designs, and since about anyone can design fonts today, the kerning notion took a severe hit. It's not all fonts designers that knows about it. And quite frankly, there are many fonts design that are so... special... for a lack of a better word, that makes planifying for all the kerning possibilities between those oddly shaped characters a real challenge.

But off course, the real beautiful fonts are the ones that have been worked out from every angle, kerning included. But even then, when I'm designing a logotype for instance, I'm always tweaking out the space (kerning) between each and every characters, even it's by only one pixel! It's just an habit from mine.

- Agima
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Agima [/i]
    [B]But off course, the real beautiful fonts are the ones that have been worked out from every angle, kerning included. But even then, when I'm designing a logotype for instance, I'm always tweaking out the space (kerning) between each and every characters, even it's by only one pixel! It's just an habit from mine.[/B][/QUOTE]

A very good habit indeed! One of the first things I was taught as a designer was to get as deep into the little details as time allowed, because it's the little things that can make or break an otherwise slick project.

And welcome back from Lurkerdom, Agima!
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]A very good habit indeed! One of the first things I was taught as a designer was to get as deep into the little details as time allowed, because it's the little things that can make or break an otherwise slick project.

And welcome back from Lurkerdom, Agima! [/B][/QUOTE]

You're right, but in today's fast paced world, it's quite difficult now to really take the time to this. Depending on the budget of the client, I have, on average, up to 1 to 6 hours to do a company logotype (2 to 6 propositions, depending on the forfeit taken by the client), and that's something that usually last for years to come. Being creative really helps to maximise that time slot I guess!

And thanks for the welcome back. I've never been really far away from the forums, but I guess I'm the perfect type of guy that fits in the description of a real Lurker! ;-)
  • Are you sure you want to complain? Here's my Monday schedule:

4 AM - Get up and get ready for work.

4:40-4:45 AM - Drive to commuter van lot.

5:05 - 5:45 AM - Drive to work on commuter van.

5:45 AM - 7:50 AM - Catch up on calls left on my voice mail, eat breakfast and prepare for first meeting.

8 AM - 9 AM - Group meeting to status the boss on the week's work.

9 AM - 9:50 AM - Record and work on any actions from 8 AM meeting and prepare for next meeting.

10 AM - 11 AM - An other weekly meeting with outside sources statusing our work over the past week (in both directions).

11 AM to 11:20 AM - Working lunch.

11:20 AM - 2:30 (sometimes as late as 4 PM) - Work day, including interfacing with other departments, vendors/suppliers, the Navy and other customers with status reports (providing and requesting status updates, requesting info/work/input, meetings, reviewing product, answering and researching issues/problems as they come in, etc.)

I arrive home 60 to 90 minutes later, then have to make, eat and clean up from dinner, make and attend appointments, get ready for bed and actually get to bed by 8 to 9 PM.

Want to trade schedules? :)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Behold, my Monday schedule!

6:00AM - Wake up
    7:25ishAM - Leave for uni
    8:00ishAM - Arrive at uni
    8-12ish - Research
    12ish-1ish - Lunch
    1-2 - Research
    2-3 - Japanese lecture
    3-7ish - Research
    7:00PM - Leave for home
    7:40ish - Arrive home, eat dinner, etc
    8ish-11ish - Research, Japanese study
    11pm-6am - Free time to play/sleep

Rinse and repeat for the other 6 days of the week. Welcome to the life of a PhD student nearing the end of his time.
    Mine...

[b]Monday/Wednesday[/b]:
    Noon-1:00: Wake up.
    12:30-1:30: Take a shower, eat breakfast.
    1:00-1:40: Leave for class.
    1:50: Begin looking for a parking spot. now at campus.
    2:00-3:50: Class.
    4:00-6:00: Break between class. Too short to drive back to the apartment. Too long to do anything. Likely eat. or get stuck in traffic after eating.
    6:00-8:00: Class.
    7:10-8:30: Go home.

[b]Tuesday/Thursday[/b]:
    Noon-3:00: Wake up
    12:30-3:30: Shower, eat.
    1:00-3:40: Leave for school.
    3:55: Park in one of the many now-open spaces.
    4:00-9:30: class
    eventually: Go home.