Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Rosa Parks Dies

croxiscroxis I am the walrus
In Memory Of Rosa Parks
1913-2005

The Greatest Heros of Humanity are ordinary people in ordinary situations doing Extraordinary things.

Comments

• PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    amen

- Phi
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Who was she?
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Very basic/simplified story: very famous and revered African American woman who refused to give up her seat on a bus to a white man in 1955, which sparked a change in how the civil rights movement was viewed. Her actions also led to a boycott of the racist transportation system. Overall, a very very good woman who did alot to affect change.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    RIP.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    here's a [URL=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4373794.stm]link[/URL] to the story on the bbc
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mundane [/i]
    [B]Who was she? [/B][/QUOTE]

To follow-up to Rhett's post, as late as the 1960s the US still had an institutionalized quasi-apartheid system, especially in the former slave states where blacks were supposed to be treated as separate but equal, but just like South Africa, the reality was separate and dis-equal, this meant separate schools for African-Americans, separate lunch counters and drinking fountains. This also extended to the busing system in Birmingham, AL.

The actions by Rosa Parks turn out to be the first test case for the NAACP to challenge the busing policy in court. It also lead to a huge public transportation boycott lead by a then little-know minister by the name of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Jake
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Okay..then I have heard about her before, just didnt remember the name.
  • I first learnt about Rosa Parks when I was 10. Just goes to show what an impact she had on American society at the time. Incredible to think that one woman could attain such historical standing for so simple an action.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    An update I feel is worth mentoning

[quote]The United States Senate passed a resolution on October 27 to honor Parks by allowing her remains to lie in honor (also known as "lying in state") in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda. The House of Representatives approved the resolution on October 28. Parks became the 31st person so honored since the practice began in 1852, the first woman to ever lie in state in the Rotunda, the first American who was not previously a government official, and the second non-government official after the remains of Frenchman Pierre L'Enfant were brought to the capitol in 1909. She was also the second black person, after Jacob J. Chestnut, one of the two United States Capitol Police officers who were fatally shot in 1998. Prior to Parks, the most recent person to lie in state was former President Ronald Reagan in 2004.[/quote]